How do I Apply Testosterone Cream for Women?
If you are a woman with a low or non-existent sex drive, speak to your physician about the use of a topical testosterone cream. Women normally have oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone circulating in their blood streams. As you age, hormone levels may decline. A drop in testosterone levels can result in a loss of libido.
Testosterone is a male hormone that when applied topically in a cream to a woman’s skin can improve low libido. The white, odorless creams containing testosterone are available in prescription form and low-dose over-the-counter formulas. Although there are no testosterone creams that have FDA approval for use in women, doctors may prescribe it for off-label use.
Progesterone Cream & Breastfeeding
Squeeze two units of testosterone cream onto your finger. Recommended dosages for topical creams are often in units or “fingertip” units, according to DermNet NZ 3. One unit equals an amount of cream squeezed from the tube onto the finger, from the tip to the first joint. Two units would equal a strip of cream from the tip of the finger to the second joint, or first knuckle. If you miss your daily dose of testosterone cream, only apply it if you remember within nine hours of your usual dosage time.
- Squeeze two units of testosterone cream onto your finger.
- Two units would equal a strip of cream from the tip of the finger to the second joint, or first knuckle.
Where to Apply
Apply testosterone cream to clean skin the same time each day. The most convenient time for many women is right after their daily shower. Massage the testosterone cream into the skin on the inside of one arm or on the skin of an outer thigh. Continue massaging the testosterone cream into your skin until it is fully absorbed. Testosterone cream usually dissolves within 60 seconds when massaged into the skin.
- Apply testosterone cream to clean skin the same time each day.
- Continue massaging the testosterone cream into your skin until it is fully absorbed.
List of Testosterone Creams
While there are some creams for women that are marketed to enhance sexual desire, increase pleasure and raise libido after application to the genital area, testosterone creams do not work in this manner. In fact, never apply a testosterone cream to your genitals. Testosterone creams are readily absorbed into the skin, slowly raising testosterone levels over time. Applying testosterone cream to the genitals does not speed up the process.
- While there are some creams for women that are marketed to enhance sexual desire, increase pleasure and raise libido after application to the genital area, testosterone creams do not work in this manner.
- Applying testosterone cream to the genitals does not speed up the process.
Testosterone creams are not suitable for everyone. Speak to your physician before beginning any testosterone supplementation regimen. Women who have a history of breast or uterine cancer, cardiovascular disease or liver disorders should not use testosterone creams.
Progesterone Cream & Breastfeeding
List of Testosterone Creams
Retinol Cream for Stretch Marks
Where to Apply Testosterone Cream
Hormone Cream & Weight Loss
Do Estrogen Creams Cause Weight Gain?
How to Use Progesterone Cream for Fertility
How Do I Take ZMA Anabolic Testosterone Booster?
Are There Easy Ways to Remove Dark Spots From Toes?
What is the Average FTM Testosterone Injection?
- MayoClinic.com: Menopause
- Andro-Feme Cream: Consumer Medicine Information
- DermNet NZ: Fingertip Unit
- Stanworth RD, Jones TH. Testosterone for the aging male; current evidence and recommended practice. Clin Interv Aging. 2008;3(1):25–44. doi:10.2147/cia.s190
- McBride JA, Carson CC 3rd, Coward RM. Testosterone deficiency in the aging male. Ther Adv Urol. 2016;8(1):47–60. doi:10.1177/1756287215612961
- Kumar P, Kumar N, Thakur DS, Patidar A. Male hypogonadism: Symptoms and treatment. J Adv Pharm Technol Res. 2010;1(3):297–301. doi:10.4103/0110-5558.72420
- Johnson JM, Nachtigall LB, Stern TA. The effect of testosterone levels on mood in men: a review. Psychosomatics. 2013;54(6):509-14.
- Rajfer J. Relationship between testosterone and erectile dysfunction. Rev Urol. 2000;2(2):122–128.
- Barrett-Connor E, Dam TT, Stone K, et al. The association of testosterone levels with overall sleep quality, sleep architecture, and sleep-disordered breathing. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93(7):2602–2609. doi:10.1210/jc.2007-2622
- Beauchet O. Testosterone and cognitive function: current clinical evidence of a relationship. Eur J Endocrinol. 2006;155(6):773-81.
- Golds G, Houdek D, Arnason T. Male Hypogonadism and Osteoporosis: The Effects, Clinical Consequences, and Treatment of Testosterone Deficiency in Bone Health. Int J Endocrinol. 2017;2017:4602129. doi:10.1155/2017/4602129
- Grossmann M, Thomas MC, Panagiotopoulos S, et al. Low testosterone levels are common and associated with insulin resistance in men with diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93(5):1834-40.
- Cai Z, Xi H, Pan Y, et al. Effect of testosterone deficiency on cholesterol metabolism in pigs fed a high-fat and high-cholesterol diet. Lipids Health Dis. 2015;14:18. Published 2015 Mar 7. doi:10.1186/s12944-015-0014-5
- Ferrucci L, Maggio M, Bandinelli S, et al. Low testosterone levels and the risk of anemia in older men and women. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166(13):1380–1388. doi:10.1001/archinte.166.13.1380
- Nassar GN, Leslie SW. Physiology, Testosterone. [Updated 2018 Oct 27]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-.
- Rivas AM, Mulkey Z, Lado-Abeal J, Yarbrough S. Diagnosing and managing low serum testosterone. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2014;27(4):321–324. doi:10.1080/08998280.2014.11929145
- Kanakis GA, Nieschlag E. Klinefelter syndrome: more than hypogonadism. Metab Clin Exp. 2018;86:135-144.
- Sizar O, Schwartz J. Hypogonadism. [Updated 2019 Jun 4]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-.
- Nahata L, Yu RN, Bhasin S, Cohen LE. Management of testosterone therapy in adolescents and young men with hypogonadism: are we following adult clinical practice guidelines?. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2015;28(5-6):635-40.
- McBride JA, Carson CC, Coward RM. Diagnosis and management of testosterone deficiency. Asian J Androl. 2015;17(2):177–186. doi:10.4103/1008-682X.143317
- Crawford ED, Poage W, Nyhuis A, et al. Measurement of testosterone: how important is a morning blood draw?. Curr Med Res Opin. 2015;31(10):1911-4.
- Wersinger SR, Haisenleder DJ, Lubahn DB, Rissman EF. Steroid feedback on gonadotropin release and pituitary gonadotropin subunit mRNA in mice lacking a functional estrogen receptor alpha. Endocrine. 1999;11(2):137-43.
- Rhoden EL, Estrada C, Levine L, Morgentaler A. The value of pituitary magnetic resonance imaging in men with hypogonadism. J Urol. 2003;170(3):795-8.
- Snyder PJ, Kopperdahl DL, Stephens-Shields AJ, et al. Effect of Testosterone Treatment on Volumetric Bone Density and Strength in Older Men With Low Testosterone: A Controlled Clinical Trial [published correction appears in JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Apr 1;177(4):600] [published correction appears in JAMA Intern Med. 2019 Mar 1;179(3):457]. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177(4):471–479. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.9539
- Huo S, Scialli AR, McGarvey S, et al. Treatment of Men for "Low Testosterone": A Systematic Review. PLoS One. 2016;11(9):e0162480. Published 2016 Sep 21. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0162480
- Armamento-Villareal R, Aguirre LE, Qualls C, Villareal DT. Effect of Lifestyle Intervention on the Hormonal Profile of Frail, Obese Older Men. J Nutr Health Aging. 2016;20(3):334–340. doi:10.1007/s12603-016-0698-x
- American Urological Association. Evaluation and management of testosterone deficiency.
- Grech A, Breck J, Heidelbaugh J. Adverse effects of testosterone replacement therapy: an update on the evidence and controversy. Ther Adv Drug Saf. 2014;5(5):190–200. doi:10.1177/2042098614548680
- American Urological Association, Evaluation and Management of Testosterone Deficiency.
- Fillo J, Breza J Jr, Ondrusova M, Luha J, Ondrus D, Dubravicky J, et al. Results of long term testosterone replacement therapy in men with abdominal obesity, erectile dysfunction and testosterone deficiency. Bratisl Lek Listy. 2018;119(9):577-580. doi:10.4149/BLL_2018_061
- Tremellen K, McPhee N, Pearce K, Benson S, Schedlowski M, Engler H. Endotoxin-initiated inflammation reduces testosterone production in men of reproductive age. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2018 Mar 1;314(3):E206-E213. doi:10.1152/ajpendo.00279.2017. Epub 2017 Nov 28.
Jonae Fredericks started writing in 2007. She also has a background as a licensed cosmetologist and certified skin-care specialist. Jonae Fredericks is a certified paraeducator, presently working in the public education system.