Hormone Cream & Weight Loss
There are many hormone creams on the market that promise weight loss. The most common hormonal cream available for weight loss as of 2010 is progesterone cream. Perhaps the primary reason this is so popular is that it can be bought over the counter at most drug stores. However, this cream only works on women who have gained weight suddenly due to perimenopause and menopause. If you see weight gain despite a good diet and regular exercise, chances are you are approaching or already undergoing menopause.
How the Cream Works
Over-the-counter progesterone creams help menopausal women balance out their hormonal levels, Dr. Frederick R. Jelovsek writes for the Women's Health Resource website 1. Progesterone is one of the major female hormones, and menopause will often throw off a woman's levels of progesterone due to the many hormonal changes in the body during this time. Since progesterone helps regulate many bodily processes, unbalanced levels of this hormone can often lead to sudden weight gains in women. Therefore, re-balancing hormonal levels through the use of progesterone hormone creams has been found to help women lose weight. The basic function of progesterone is not only to balance hormonal levels, but also to counteract excess production of estrogen in the body during menopause.
- Over-the-counter progesterone creams help menopausal women balance out their hormonal levels, Dr. Frederick R. Jelovsek writes for the Women's Health Resource website 1.
- Progesterone is one of the major female hormones, and menopause will often throw off a woman's levels of progesterone due to the many hormonal changes in the body during this time.
How to Select the Correct Hormone Cream
Progesterone Cream & Breastfeeding
While there are many different forms of over-the-counter progesterone creams women can use for weight loss, some supplements, such as health foods and natural herbal supplements, also use progesterone 12. The creams generally use progesterone that is naturally manufactured from sources, such as soy and yams. Select a progesterone cream that provides complete information about its ingredients; it should also note how much progesterone it contains. Consult your doctor before using any such cream or taking supplements of any kind.
- While there are many different forms of over-the-counter progesterone creams women can use for weight loss, some supplements, such as health foods and natural herbal supplements, also use progesterone 1.
How to Apply the Cream for Weight Loss
Ideally, you will find instructions on how to lose weight through the cream on the packaging or in an enclosed instruction manual. Follow the instructions precisely, making any adjustments necessary for your age and weight. For losing weight, apply the cream on your chest, shoulders, arms, even the entire upper body. Remember that if you apply the cream anywhere near your liver, it will get absorbed by the liver faster and filtered out of the body without having much, if any, effect.
- Ideally, you will find instructions on how to lose weight through the cream on the packaging or in an enclosed instruction manual.
- Remember that if you apply the cream anywhere near your liver, it will get absorbed by the liver faster and filtered out of the body without having much, if any, effect.
What Experts Say
Over-the-Counter Estrogen Creams
According to Catherine Rollins, the founder and CEO of the Natural Progesterone Advisory Network website, progesterone will "regulate sodium imbalance inside a woman's body, correct fluid retention and help you eliminate excess fluid from the body." She adds that some women stop using their cream once they gain a bit of weight because they mistakenly think that the progesterone is the cause, when it definitely is not 2.
Keep in mind that menopause is a temporary phase and that you will likely return to your regular weight eventually. While hormonal creams can help you lose weight, side effects may vary; speak with your doctor before using any hormone cream.
Progesterone Cream & Breastfeeding
Over-the-Counter Estrogen Creams
How to Use Progesterone Cream for Fertility
Where to Apply Testosterone Cream
How do I Apply Testosterone Cream for Women?
What Other Hormones Are Available Besides Prempro?
How to Stop Hair From Growing on the Belly if You've Shaved It
How to Lose Weight After Going Off Ortho Tri-Cyclen
The Effects of Progesterone on the Breasts
Do Estrogen Creams Cause Weight Gain?
- Women's Health Resource: Progesterone: Its Uses and Effects
- Fugh-Berman A, Bythrow J. Bioidentical hormones for menopausal hormone therapy: variation on a theme. J Gen Intern Med. 2007;22(7):1030–1034. doi:10.1007/s11606-007-0141-4
- Han KH, Kim MK, Kim HS, Chung HH, Song YS. Protective Effect of Progesterone during Pregnancy against Ovarian Cancer. J Cancer Prev. 2013;18(2):113–122. doi:10.15430/JCP.2013.18.2.113
- Seifert-Klauss V, Prior JC. Progesterone and bone: actions promoting bone health in women. J Osteoporos. 2010;2010:845180. Published 2010 Oct 31. doi:10.4061/2010/845180
- Kaunitz AM, Manson JE. Management of Menopausal Symptoms. Obstet Gynecol. 2015;126(4):859–876. doi:10.1097/AOG.0000000000001058
- Regidor PA. Progesterone in Peri- and Postmenopause: A Review. Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd. 2014;74(11):995–1002. doi:10.1055/s-0034-1383297
- Stevenson S, Thornton J. Effect of estrogens on skin aging and the potential role of SERMs. Clin Interv Aging. 2007;2(3):283–297. PMID: 18044179
- Elshafie MA, Ewies AA. Transdermal natural progesterone cream for postmenopausal women: inconsistent data and complex pharmacokinetics. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2007;27(7):655-9. doi:10.1080/01443610701582727
- Benster B, Carey A, Wadsworth F, Vashisht A, Domoney C, Studd J. A double-blind placebo-controlled study to evaluate the effect of progestelle progesterone cream on postmenopausal women. Menopause Int. 2009;15(2):63-9. doi:10.1258/mi.2009.009014
- Hermann AC, Nafziger AN, Victory J, Kulawy R, Rocci ML, Bertino JS. Over-the-counter progesterone cream produces significant drug exposure compared to a food and drug administration-approved oral progesterone product. J Clin Pharmacol. 2005;45(6):614-9. doi:10.1177/0091270005276621
- Holzer G, Riegler E, Hönigsmann H, Farokhnia S, Schmidt JB, Schmidt B. Effects and side-effects of 2% progesterone cream on the skin of peri- and postmenopausal women: results from a double-blind, vehicle-controlled, randomized study. Br J Dermatol. 2005;153(3):626-34. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2133.2005.06685.x
- Prior JC. Progesterone for Symptomatic Perimenopause Treatment - Progesterone politics, physiology and potential for perimenopause. Facts Views Vis Obgyn. 2011;3(2):109–120. PMID: 24753856
- Pinkerton JV, Pickar JH. Update on medical and regulatory issues pertaining to compounded and FDA-approved drugs, including hormone therapy. Menopause. 2016;23(2):215–223. doi:10.1097/GME.0000000000000523
- Ratner S, Ofri D. Menopause and hormone-replacement therapy: Part 2. Hormone-replacement therapy regimens. West J Med. 2001;175(1):32–34. doi:10.1136/ewjm.175.1.32
- Rzepecki AK, Murase JE, Juran R, Fabi SG, McLellan BN. Estrogen-deficient skin: The role of topical therapy. Int J Womens Dermatol. 2019;5(2):85–90. Published 2019 Mar 15. doi:10.1016/j.ijwd.2019.01.001
- Progesterone. National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem Database, CID=5994. 2019.
- Dalal PK, Agarwal M. Postmenopausal syndrome. Indian J Psychiatry. 2015;57(Suppl 2):S222–S232. doi:10.4103/0019-5545.161483
Charles Webb has been writing since 2000. He works as a copy editor and as the feature health-and-fitness writer for the "Pasadena Citizen." Webb has a Bachelor of Arts in journalism from the University of Houston.