Vinegar has been used as an antiseptic and astringent since the days of Hippocrates in ancient Greece, when he prescribed it to clean wounds and treat coughs. Today, vinegar is used as an environmentally friendly cleaner for everything from windows to floors. A mild vinegar and water solution administered as a douche can also be used to treat several vaginal conditions. Purchase pre-measured vinegar douches, or mix your own at home and administer it with a bulb syringe or douche bag.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Douching is not necessary for normal vaginal health, but some women feel cleaner with regular douching, particularly after their menstrual cycle. If you want to douche, the California State University Student Health Center recommends using only 1 to 2 tbs 1. of white vinegar in 1 qt. of water.
White Oak Bark Benefits
To treat vaginitis, also known as a yeast infection, the University of Maryland Medical Center recommends douching with 1 to 2 tbs. of white vinegar in 1 pt. of water for 10 to 14 days. The vinegar creates a more acidic environment which can be inhospitable to vaginal yeast. If symptoms persist or are accompanied by pain, consult a physician.
- To treat vaginitis, also known as a yeast infection, the University of Maryland Medical Center recommends douching with 1 to 2 tbs.
Catherine Zuver, a registered nurse with the University of Virginia, reports that some menopausal women have found relief from vaginal dryness and itching with vinegar douching. The vinegar helps restore the vagina's natural pH. Use 1 to 2 tbs. of white vinegar in 1 qt. of water.
- Catherine Zuver, a registered nurse with the University of Virginia, reports that some menopausal women have found relief from vaginal dryness and itching with vinegar douching.
- The vinegar helps restore the vagina's natural pH.
- Use 1 to 2 tbs.
White Oak Bark Benefits
White Vinegar for Urinary Infections
Bacterial Vaginosis Home Remedies
Uses of Vinegar in Humidifiers
Relief for External Vaginal Itch
At-Home Treatments for Genital Warts
How to Clean Bottle Nipples
Herbs for Vaginal Odor
How to Soak an Infected Toe
How to Use Alka Seltzer to Get Rid of Yeast Infections
- California State University: Reducing Vaginal Infections
- Mitrou P, Petsiou E, Papakonstantinou E, et al. Vinegar consumption increases insulin-stimulated glucose uptake by the forearm muscle in humans with type 2 diabetes. J Diabetes Res. 2015;2015:175204. doi:10.1155/2015/175204
- Beh BK, Mohamad NE, Yeap SK, et al. Anti-obesity and anti-inflammatory effects of synthetic acetic acid vinegar and Nipa vinegar on high-fat-diet-induced obese mice. Sci Rep. 2017;7(1):6664. Published 2017 Jul 27. doi:10.1038/s41598-017-06235-7
- Kondo T, Kishi M, Fushimi T, et al. Vinegar intake reduces body weight, body fat mass, and serum triglyceride levels in obese Japanese subjects. Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry. 2009. doi:10.1271/bbb.90231
- Guo X, Xu Y, He H, et al. Visceral fat reduction is positively associated with blood pressure reduction in overweight or obese males but not females: an observational study. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2019;16:44. doi:10.1186/s12986-019-0369-0
- Johnston CS, Steplewska I, Long CA, Harris LN, Ryals RH. Examination of the antiglycemic properties of vinegar in healthy adults. Ann Nutr Metab. 2010;56(1):74-9. doi:10.1159/000272133
- White AM, Johnston CS. Vinegar ingestion at bedtime moderates waking glucose concentrations in adults with well-controlled type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2007;30(11):2814-5. doi:10.2337/dc07-1062
Cynthia Myers is the author of numerous novels and her nonfiction work has appeared in publications ranging from "Historic Traveler" to "Texas Highways" to "Medical Practice Management." She has a degree in economics from Sam Houston State University.