Bacterial vaginosis, or BV, is typically the cause of vaginal odor, generally characterized by a fishy smell that may develop along with a discharge. Bacterial vaginosis is a term that indicates an imbalance in the bacteria that is naturally located in the vagina, along with the absence of lactobacilli. When this occurs, high levels of other bacteria, such as Gardnerella vaginalis and Mycoplasma hominis, replace the normally present healthy bacteria, lactobacillus. Women who douche on a regular basis or have medical conditions that reduce levels of lactobacilli may be prone to bacterial vaginosis. The use of antibiotics, feminine-cleansing products, products containing irritants and having sex can lower lactobacilli in the vagina.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Commonly referred to as nature's antibiotic, garlic is able to fight an infection. Garlic has powerful antifungal properties, which control yeast levels. According to NaturalRemedyForYeastInfection.com, using garlic is the fastest way to solve an odor problem in the vaginal area 2. Vaginal suppository can be made with a garlic clove and gauze tied securely with a string so that it can be easily removed from the vagina. Additionally, prepared garlic vaginal suppositories are available at health food stores. The suppositories dissolve easily and are effective in the elimination of discharge and vaginal odor. Odorless garlic tablets are another available option.
- Commonly referred to as nature's antibiotic, garlic is able to fight an infection.
- The suppositories dissolve easily and are effective in the elimination of discharge and vaginal odor.
Tea Tree Oil
4 Ways to Cure Bacterial Vaginosis Naturally
Tea tree oil, also known as melaleuca alternifolia, is a species of tree or shrub native to Australia. It has antifungal properties that are effective for eliminating vaginal discharge and odor. Tea tree oil also has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties with good skin penetration capabilities and very low potential for skin irritation. According to GreenHerbalRemedies.com, a few drops of tea tree oil are sufficient to help combat mild infection or irritation in the vaginal area. It is available in the form of a soap containing tea tree oil and other ingredients, or it can be mixed in a few drops of water and used to cleanse the vaginal area daily until the odor goes away. Tea tree oil suppositories can be purchased from a local natural wellness store to treat bacterial vaginosis.
- Tea tree oil, also known as melaleuca alternifolia, is a species of tree or shrub native to Australia.
- It has antifungal properties that are effective for eliminating vaginal discharge and odor.
Neem Bark Extract
In the past, neem bark has been applied topically, but more recently has been used as an internal supplement. Neem bark’s antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties help to support balanced intestinal flora while fighting infection. It is effective against several fungi, such as candida, which is responsible for yeast infections and can lead to vaginal odor. According to Drugs.com, in vitro studies showed efficacy against infections such as gonorrhea, chlamydia and herpes in sexually active women who took neem extract in the tablet form 1. Further, besides its ability to enhance antibody production, it also promotes the immune response of white blood cells, unleashing them in order to kill bacterial invaders.
- In the past, neem bark has been applied topically, but more recently has been used as an internal supplement.
- It is effective against several fungi, such as candida, which is responsible for yeast infections and can lead to vaginal odor.
4 Ways to Cure Bacterial Vaginosis Naturally
How to Remove a Smell From the Vagina
Over-the-Counter Treatment for Bacterial Vaginosis
Diet for Bacterial Vaginosis
Vinegar Douche Benefits
How to Do a Lemon Juice Candida Cleanse
How to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor Without Going to the Doctor
Vitamin C Treatment for Bacterial Vaginosis
Symptoms of Lactobacillus Overgrowth
How to Rinse With Hydrogen Peroxide for the Treatment of Oral Thrush
- Drugs.com: Neem
- NaturalRemedy-For-YeastInfection.com: Fastest Way to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor
- Green Herbal Remedies: Managing Vaginal Odor
- STD Facts - Bacterial Vaginosis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Feb 8, 2017.
- STD Facts - Trichomoniasis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Jan 31, 2017.
- Rodrigues CF, Rodrigues ME, Henriques M. Candida sp. Infections in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus. J Clin Med. 2019;8(1) doi:10.3390/jcm8010076
- Pelvic inflammatory disease. womenshealth.gov. Apr 1, 2019.