Choosing a safe testosterone boost can be difficult because safety is often a relative term, depending on the user. For example, individuals younger than 30 years of age still have optimal testosterone levels. Boosting testosterone may benefit younger users when it comes to muscle building and fat burning. However, testosterone boosters are not for everyone and may lead to some side effects. Always consult with your doctor before using any testosterone booster.
Testosterone is the male sex hormone that makes men more muscular and aggressive. Its functions in the body are related to growth, muscle building, fat burning, libido, heart health and cognition, according to Paul D. Navar, MD, author of "Optimizing Testosterone in Aging Men." Testosterone boosters may enable the body to produce higher levels of the hormone by acting as precursors, creating more free testosterone, decreasing estrogen and/or triggering the body to release LH or lutenizing hormone 1.
The Toxicity of Plug-In Air Fresheners
Some herbal testosterone boosters work by increasing the pituitary gland's producing of LH, a messenger hormone that signals the testes to produce testosterone. Examples include tribulus terrestris, longjack and fenugreek, according to Jim Stoppani PhD, author of "Supplements 101." Other herbs may act to free bound testosterone in the body, effectively creating more free testosterone. For example, the coleus forskohlii extract known as forskolin creates more free testosterone, according to the book "Natural Anabolics." Supplemental forms of the hormone DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) act as a precursor to testosterone.
- Some herbal testosterone boosters work by increasing the pituitary gland's producing of LH, a messenger hormone that signals the testes to produce testosterone.
For fitness enthusiasts, higher testosterone levels promote muscle building, fat burning and higher energy levels. Testosterone defends the body against age-related muscle loss, which can decrease metabolic function, causing you to gain body fat. On a general health note, boosting testosterone may protect against cardiovascular disease, obesity and diabetes. Low testosterone levels have been associated with increased risk of death. Maintaining high levels improves mood, cognitive function and libido.
- For fitness enthusiasts, higher testosterone levels promote muscle building, fat burning and higher energy levels.
The Effects of Testosterone Boosters on the Body
When choosing a testosterone booster, you must consider your age, health status and goals. Have your doctor check your hormone levels to ensure that testosterone boosters are right for you. Boosting testosterone has an impact on your entire hormonal environment and may increase your body's production of the hormone derivative known as DHT or dihydrotestosterone. For those who have or are at risk for prostate disease, this effect may prove costly to your heath. Speak with your doctor about taking herbal supplements first, before taking hormone supplements such as DHEA, which can cause side effects.
- When choosing a testosterone booster, you must consider your age, health status and goals.
- Speak with your doctor about taking herbal supplements first, before taking hormone supplements such as DHEA, which can cause side effects.
The author of "Natural Anabolics" recommends taking 400 mg of longjack daily upon waking 3. In addition, you may take 250 mg of coleus forskohlii, containing 10 percent forskolin, up to two times daily. Stoppani suggests 250 to 750 mg of tribulus terrestris twice per day and 500 to 2,000 mg of fenugreek extract per day. In addition, 2,000 mg of aastaxanthin and saw palmetto lipid extract and 50 to 500 mg of damiana may further support higher testosterone levels, according to "Hormone Helpers" by Jose Antonio PhD. Consult with your physician before taking any supplements.
- The author of "Natural Anabolics" recommends taking 400 mg of longjack daily upon waking 3.
- In addition, 2,000 mg of aastaxanthin and saw palmetto lipid extract and 50 to 500 mg of damiana may further support higher testosterone levels, according to "Hormone Helpers" by Jose Antonio PhD.
- Consult with your physician before taking any supplements.
The Toxicity of Plug-In Air Fresheners
The Effects of Testosterone Boosters on the Body
Side Effects of Taking Testosterone Supplements
Positive Effects of Proviron
Nettle Root Extract for Bodybuilding
Damiana Tea for Fertility
How to Use Creatine With a Testosterone Booster
What Supplements Block Estrogen?
How Do I Take ZMA Anabolic Testosterone Booster?
What Are the Benefits of Increasing Testosterone?
- Life Extension Magazine; Optimizing Testosterone in Aging Men; Paul D. Navar; MD July 2008
- "Muscle & Fitness Presents 2010 Edition: The Ultimate Supplement Handbook;" Supplements 101; Jim Stoppani, PhD; January 2010
- "Natural Anabolics;" Jerry Brainum; 2006
- "Optimum Anabolics;" Jeff Anderson; 2004
- "Muscle & Performance;" East Meets West; Kimberly J. Retzlaff; October 2010
- "Muscle & Fitness Presents 2010 Edition: The Ultimate Supplement Handbook;" Hormone Helpers; Jose Antonio, PhD; January 2010
- Stanworth RD, Jones TH. Testosterone for the aging male; current evidence and recommended practice. Clin Interv Aging. 2008;3(1):25–44. doi:10.2147/cia.s190
- McBride JA, Carson CC 3rd, Coward RM. Testosterone deficiency in the aging male. Ther Adv Urol. 2016;8(1):47–60. doi:10.1177/1756287215612961
- Kumar P, Kumar N, Thakur DS, Patidar A. Male hypogonadism: Symptoms and treatment. J Adv Pharm Technol Res. 2010;1(3):297–301. doi:10.4103/0110-5558.72420
- Johnson JM, Nachtigall LB, Stern TA. The effect of testosterone levels on mood in men: a review. Psychosomatics. 2013;54(6):509-14.
- Rajfer J. Relationship between testosterone and erectile dysfunction. Rev Urol. 2000;2(2):122–128.
- Barrett-Connor E, Dam TT, Stone K, et al. The association of testosterone levels with overall sleep quality, sleep architecture, and sleep-disordered breathing. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93(7):2602–2609. doi:10.1210/jc.2007-2622
- Beauchet O. Testosterone and cognitive function: current clinical evidence of a relationship. Eur J Endocrinol. 2006;155(6):773-81.
- Golds G, Houdek D, Arnason T. Male Hypogonadism and Osteoporosis: The Effects, Clinical Consequences, and Treatment of Testosterone Deficiency in Bone Health. Int J Endocrinol. 2017;2017:4602129. doi:10.1155/2017/4602129
- Grossmann M, Thomas MC, Panagiotopoulos S, et al. Low testosterone levels are common and associated with insulin resistance in men with diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93(5):1834-40.
- Cai Z, Xi H, Pan Y, et al. Effect of testosterone deficiency on cholesterol metabolism in pigs fed a high-fat and high-cholesterol diet. Lipids Health Dis. 2015;14:18. Published 2015 Mar 7. doi:10.1186/s12944-015-0014-5
- Ferrucci L, Maggio M, Bandinelli S, et al. Low testosterone levels and the risk of anemia in older men and women. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166(13):1380–1388. doi:10.1001/archinte.166.13.1380
- Nassar GN, Leslie SW. Physiology, Testosterone. [Updated 2018 Oct 27]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-.
- Rivas AM, Mulkey Z, Lado-Abeal J, Yarbrough S. Diagnosing and managing low serum testosterone. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2014;27(4):321–324. doi:10.1080/08998280.2014.11929145
- Kanakis GA, Nieschlag E. Klinefelter syndrome: more than hypogonadism. Metab Clin Exp. 2018;86:135-144.
- Sizar O, Schwartz J. Hypogonadism. [Updated 2019 Jun 4]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-.
- Nahata L, Yu RN, Bhasin S, Cohen LE. Management of testosterone therapy in adolescents and young men with hypogonadism: are we following adult clinical practice guidelines?. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2015;28(5-6):635-40.
- McBride JA, Carson CC, Coward RM. Diagnosis and management of testosterone deficiency. Asian J Androl. 2015;17(2):177–186. doi:10.4103/1008-682X.143317
- Crawford ED, Poage W, Nyhuis A, et al. Measurement of testosterone: how important is a morning blood draw?. Curr Med Res Opin. 2015;31(10):1911-4.
- Wersinger SR, Haisenleder DJ, Lubahn DB, Rissman EF. Steroid feedback on gonadotropin release and pituitary gonadotropin subunit mRNA in mice lacking a functional estrogen receptor alpha. Endocrine. 1999;11(2):137-43.
- Rhoden EL, Estrada C, Levine L, Morgentaler A. The value of pituitary magnetic resonance imaging in men with hypogonadism. J Urol. 2003;170(3):795-8.
- Snyder PJ, Kopperdahl DL, Stephens-Shields AJ, et al. Effect of Testosterone Treatment on Volumetric Bone Density and Strength in Older Men With Low Testosterone: A Controlled Clinical Trial [published correction appears in JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Apr 1;177(4):600] [published correction appears in JAMA Intern Med. 2019 Mar 1;179(3):457]. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177(4):471–479. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.9539
- Huo S, Scialli AR, McGarvey S, et al. Treatment of Men for "Low Testosterone": A Systematic Review. PLoS One. 2016;11(9):e0162480. Published 2016 Sep 21. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0162480
- Armamento-Villareal R, Aguirre LE, Qualls C, Villareal DT. Effect of Lifestyle Intervention on the Hormonal Profile of Frail, Obese Older Men. J Nutr Health Aging. 2016;20(3):334–340. doi:10.1007/s12603-016-0698-x
- American Urological Association. Evaluation and management of testosterone deficiency.
- Grech A, Breck J, Heidelbaugh J. Adverse effects of testosterone replacement therapy: an update on the evidence and controversy. Ther Adv Drug Saf. 2014;5(5):190–200. doi:10.1177/2042098614548680
- American Urological Association, Evaluation and Management of Testosterone Deficiency.
- Fillo J, Breza J Jr, Ondrusova M, Luha J, Ondrus D, Dubravicky J, et al. Results of long term testosterone replacement therapy in men with abdominal obesity, erectile dysfunction and testosterone deficiency. Bratisl Lek Listy. 2018;119(9):577-580. doi:10.4149/BLL_2018_061
- Tremellen K, McPhee N, Pearce K, Benson S, Schedlowski M, Engler H. Endotoxin-initiated inflammation reduces testosterone production in men of reproductive age. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2018 Mar 1;314(3):E206-E213. doi:10.1152/ajpendo.00279.2017. Epub 2017 Nov 28.
Andrew Bennett enjoys exploring health and fitness through his personal workouts, as well as researching the latest about the subject. As a natural body builder, Bennett enjoys the ongoing pursuit of health and wellness in all aspects of life. He writes articles, blogs, copy, and even award-winning screenplays.