Athletes and bodybuilders often turn to sports supplements for improved results. Testosterone boosters are supplements that may help athletes build increased muscle mass and strength. Testosterone boosters such as tribulus terrestris, DHEA and the mineral compound ZMA may help your body produce more of the male hormone testosterone. Keep in mind that testosterone boosters are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration and may be unsafe for certain populations including women and adolescents.
When used in conjunction with a resistance training program, testosterone boosters may speed muscle gain. During training, muscles sustain microscopic tears which are rebuilt during rest. Increased testosterone speeds the rate at which muscles can be rebuilt, allowing athletes to work harder in the gym without overtraining. However, it is unproven that testosterone boosting supplements raise testosterone levels high enough to increase muscle gain.
- When used in conjunction with a resistance training program, testosterone boosters may speed muscle gain.
- Increased testosterone speeds the rate at which muscles can be rebuilt, allowing athletes to work harder in the gym without overtraining.
T4 Hormone & Weightlifting
One of the more common anecdotal reports from testosterone boosters is that they increase aggressiveness and motivation during workouts. If an athlete is motivated to train harder, than it is likely that they will experience faster progress. However, testosterone’s role in aggression may be exaggerated, and that those reporting more aggressive behavior may in fact be experiencing a placebo effec 3t
Improved Sexual Function
Testosterone boosters like the herb Tribulus terrestris may play a role as a natural remedy for impotence and fertility. Increased testosterone levels are known to improve sexual arousal, especially in older men and post-menopausal women. Natural testosterone boosting supplements are thought to signal your body to produce more of its own testosterone, which may increase sexual arousal and fertility simultaneously. Consult with your doctor before using a testosterone booster for infertility or impotence. Testosterone boosters are not meant to replace prescription medications for this purpose.
- Testosterone boosters like the herb Tribulus terrestris may play a role as a natural remedy for impotence and fertility.
- Natural testosterone boosting supplements are thought to signal your body to produce more of its own testosterone, which may increase sexual arousal and fertility simultaneously.
T4 Hormone & Weightlifting
OTC Testosterone Supplements
The Effects of Testosterone Boosters for Teens
Side Effects of Taking Testosterone Supplements
How Do I Take ZMA Anabolic Testosterone Booster?
Bicycling & Increased Testosterone Levels
Health Benefits of Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein
What Are the Benefits of Testosterone in Bodybuilding?
Whey & Testosterone
Benefits & Side Effects of HMB
- "Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning - 3rd Edition"; National Strength and Conditioning Association; 2008
- Sports Illustrated: What You Don't Know Might Kill You
- Time Magazine: Testosterone -- Not Always an Aggression Booster
- Korean Journal of Urology: Effects and Mechanism of Action of a Tribulus terrestris Extract on Penile Erection
Based in the Greater New York area, David Benjamin is a veteran of the fitness industry of over 15 years. He is coauthor of "The Business and Practice of Personal Training" and has lectured to countless fitness professionals. Benjamin holds a degree in physical education from the State University of New York, Cortland.