What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Knee pain is a common condition that affects many people worldwide 1. The knee is a complex joint in the body that is comprised of many different parts such as fluid-filled sacs, cartilage, muscles, tendons, and ligaments 1. The knee is responsible for allowing the body to be active and participate in activities such as running, jumping, squatting, walking, and bending 1. When knee pain and swelling occurs, it can be debilitating 1. However, there are many remedies that help reduce knee swelling, and some of the remedies include household products like vinegar 1.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Causes of Knee Swelling
Swelling can be caused by many things such as blunt force trauma to the knee, bursitis, sports injuries, a torn ligament, rheumatoid arthritis, tendinitis, gout, Osgood-Schlater disease, osteoarthritis, over use of the knee joint, or muscle strain 1. In most cases it will eventually subside on its own but other times you may need to use homemade remedies or see a doctor to reduce swelling and find its cause. Be sure to see a doctor if your knee pain does not go away as it may indicate that you have seriously injured your knee or are suffering from an underlying medical condition 1.
Home Remedy for Arthritis Knee Pain
Knee pain and swelling can be reduced using simple homemade remedies that include ingredients such as a hand towel, plastic wrap and organic apple cider vinegar 1. First soak the hand towel in the organic apple cider vinegar and place it over the affected knee joint, then wrap the knee with plastic wrap and leave it on for eight hours or overnight 1. Arthritis is commonly responsible for knee joint pain and inflammation 1. A few natural remedies to help treat arthritis pain are to drink a mixture that contains the following ingredients: two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, one eight-ounce glass of water, and two teaspoons of honey 1. Mix all the ingredients together in the glass of water and drink it. This remedy should be consumed three times a day. This remedy can also be used topically by soaking the joint in hot water that contains a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar to 1 1/2 cups of water. It is suggested that you soak the affected joint in this mixture for ten minutes and repeat two to three times a day. You can also fast using the apple cider vinegar, honey, and water recipe. Fasting is used to cleanse the body of harmful toxins which can aggravate arthritis and increase joint pain 1. Fasting on apple cider vinegar and honey is done by consuming only the apple cider vinegar, honey and water mixture for an entire day. Be sure to discuss the use of homemade remedies and fasting with you doctor or primary care provider because the apple cider vinegar remedies are not for everyone.
- Knee pain and swelling can be reduced using simple homemade remedies that include ingredients such as a hand towel.
- Be sure to discuss the use of homemade remedies and fasting with you doctor or primary care provider because the apple cider vinegar remedies are not for everyone.
Home Remedy for Arthritis Knee Pain
Pectin Grape Juice Home Remedy
Pain Above the Knee Cap With Running
Ankle Pain & Swimming
Relationship Between Protein Intake and Joint Pain
Apple Cider Vinegar for Bursitis
Home Remedies for Gout Flare Ups
Unconventional Treatments for Hip Bursitis
Can Shingles Affect Your Joints?
Nutrition for Shin Splints
- Knee Pain
- Shishehbor F, Mansoori A, Shirani F. Vinegar consumption can attenuate postprandial glucose and insulin responses; a systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical trials. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2017;127:1-9. doi:10.1016/j.diabres.2017.01.021
- Kondo T, Kishi M, Fushimi T, Ugajin S, Kaga T. Vinegar intake reduces body weight, body fat mass, and serum triglyceride levels in obese Japanese subjects. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009;73(8):1837-43. doi:10.1271/bbb.90231
- Mohammad P, Mojtaba H, Mohammad N. Successful treatment of chronic scalp seborrheic dermatitis using traditional Persian medicine: a case report and literature review. Galen Med J. 2017;6:157-9. doi:10.22086/GMJ.V6I2.706
- Yagnik D, Serafin V, J Shah A. Antimicrobial activity of apple cider vinegar against Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus and Candida albicans; downregulating cytokine and microbial protein expression. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):1732. doi:10.1038/s41598-017-18618-x
- Atik D, Atik C, Karatepe C. The effect of external apple vinegar application on varicosity symptoms, pain, and social appearance anxiety: a randomized controlled trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016;2016:6473678. doi:10.1155/2016/6473678
- Chang J, Han SE, Paik SS, Kim YJ. Corrosive esophageal injury due to a commercial vinegar beverage in an adolescent. Clin Endosc. 2019 Aug;2019:ce.2019.066. doi:10.5946/ce.2019.066
- Biswal B. Drug-excipient interaction study for apple cider vinegar with 20 potential excipients using modern analytical techniques. Asian J Pharma. 2016;2016:107. doi:10.22377/ajp.v10i1.530
Based in Houston, Texas, Sarah Albrecht has been writing articles since 1995. She writes for several websites such as eHow, Trails, and LIVESTRONG. She has contributed to local newspapers as well as her college newspaper. Albrecht holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology and is working toward her master's degree in counseling psychology.