What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Impotence, or erectile dysfunction, is not a topic many men care to discuss, even though it affects men of all ages, and can be caused not only by medications, but medical conditions such as diabetes, or even anxiety, depression or stress, according to FamilyDoctor.org 1. For some, impotence can be blamed on erratic hormones, smoking, or drug or alcohol use. Several traditional Chinese remedies used to treat impotence or erectile dysfunction, also known as ED, may be useful to many men 1.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
In traditional Chinese medicine, low libido, inability to perform sexually or reduced sexual stamina may be blamed on kidney disorders or deficiencies, according to DrShen.com, an educational resource website dedicated to traditional Chinese herbal remedies and treatments. Restoring balance to the kidneys will therefore help restore sexual function and ability. Man's Treasure formula, also known as Nan Bao Formula, restores kidney yang and encourages sexual performance 2. The herbal remedy contains ginseng, licorice, dang gui and peony, just to name a few ingredients. Men can take two or three capsules of Man's Treasure twice a day at morning and night, suggests BuyChinaHerb.com, for optimal benefits 2.
Horny Goat Weed
How to Cure Premature Ejaculation With a Natural Supplement
Horny goat weed has been used in Asia for thousands of years to treat male symptoms of impotence 3. A traditional Chinese herb used as an aphrodisiac, it is very popular among men looking for a natural way to boost their libido. Known in Chinese as Yin Hang Huo, the herb is believed to help boost levels of testosterone in males, and increase blood flow and circulation to the genitals to enhance sexual longevity and performance, according to Horny Goat Weed, a website offering resources and information about the herb 4.
For generations, Chinese medicine practitioners have recommended Chinese ginseng, also known as Panax ginseng, called ren shen in mainland Chinese Mandarin language as an herb offering a variety of benefits to men experiencing poor sexual stamina, erectile dysfunction, and to increase performance and pleasure, according to Letha Hadady, in her article "Chinese Herbs Enhance Sexual Vitality," in the March 1999 issue of "Nutrition Science News." Men engaged in studies in Korea took 900 mg of ginseng three times a day for eight weeks, according to the article, with 60 percent efficacy results 14.
Panax ginseng is utilized in Chinese traditional medicine for its restorative properties, according to LifeExtension.org, an online natural health and wellness resource. The herb is known to provide increased duration of erections, as well as rigidity and girth. Increased libido is also a benefit of Panax ginseng.
- For generations, Chinese medicine practitioners have recommended Chinese ginseng, also known as Panax ginseng, called ren shen in mainland Chinese Mandarin language as an herb offering a variety of benefits to men experiencing poor sexual stamina, erectile dysfunction, and to increase performance and pleasure, according to Letha Hadady, in her article "Chinese Herbs Enhance Sexual Vitality," in the March 1999 issue of "Nutrition Science News."
How to Cure Premature Ejaculation With a Natural Supplement
Are There Herbs That Improve Male Libido?
Male Stamina Secrets
Flomax Sexual Side Effects
Herbal Remedies to Decrease Testosterone in PCOS Women
Damiana Tea for Fertility
What Happens When a Man Takes Estrogen?
Vitamins & Minerals for Erectile Dysfunction
What Is Damiana Used for in Women?
- FamilyDoctor.org: Erectile Dysfunction
- BuyChinaHerb.com: Nan Bao Formula
- Horny Goat Weed Pills: Impotence Treatment Remedy
- NewHope.com: Chinese Herbs Enhance Sexual Vitality
- Shishtar E, Sievenpiper JL, Djedovic V, et al. The effect of ginseng (the genus panax) on glycemic control: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials. PLoS One. 2014;9(9):e107391. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0107391
- Szczuka D, Nowak A, Zakłos-Szyda M, et al. American ginseng (Panax quinquefolium L.) as a source of bioactive phytochemicals with pro-health properties. Nutrients. 2019;11(5):1041. doi:10.3390/nu11051041
- Lho SK, Kim TH, Kwak KP, et al. Effects of lifetime cumulative ginseng intake on cognitive function in late life. Alzheimers Res Ther. 2018;10(1):50. doi:10.1186/s13195-018-0380-0
- Khera M, Goldstein I. Erectile dysfunction. BMJ Clin Evid. 2011;2011:1803.
- Ernst E, Posadzki P, Soo Lee M. Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) for sexual dysfunction and erectile dysfunction in older men and women: an overview of systematic reviews. Maturitas. 2011;70(1):37-41. doi:10.1016/j.maturitas.2011.06.011
- Lee NH, Yoo SR, Kim HG, Cho JH, Son CG. Safety and tolerability of Panax ginseng root extract: a randomized, placebo-controlled, clinical trial in healthy Korean volunteers. J Altern Complement Med. 2012;18(11):1061–1069. doi:10.1089/acm.2011.0591
- Sellami M, Slimeni O, Pokrywka A, et al. Herbal medicine for sports: a review. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2018;15:14. doi:10.1186/s12970-018-0218-y
- NIH. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Medicine. Asian ginseng. Updated September 2016.
- Drugs.com. Ginseng. Updated December 2, 2019
- Qi LW, Wang CZ, Du GJ, Zhang ZY, Calway T, Yuan CS. Metabolism of ginseng and its interactions with drugs. Curr Drug Metab. 2011;12(9):818–822. doi:10.2174/138920011797470128
- Epstein NE. Preoperative measures to prevent/minimize risk of surgical site infection in spinal surgery. Surg Neurol Int. 2018;9:251. doi:10.4103/sni.sni_372_18
- Drugs.com. Ginseng drug interactions. Updated December 2, 2019.
- Malati CY, Robertson SM, Hunt JD, et al. Influence of Panax ginseng on cytochrome P450 (CYP)3A and P-glycoprotein (P-gp) activity in healthy participants. J Clin Pharmacol. 2012;52(6):932–939. doi:10.1177/0091270011407194
- He Y, Yang J, Lv Y, et al. A review of ginseng clinical trials registered in the WHO International Clinical Trials Registry Platform. Biomed Res Int. 2018;2018:1843142. doi:10.1155/2018/1843142
- MedlinePlus. Siberian ginseng. Updated November 7, 2019.
Denise Stern is an experienced freelance writer and editor. She has written professionally for more than seven years. Stern regularly provides content for health-related and elder-care websites and has an associate and specialized business degree in health information management and technology.