Tips on Getting Rid of Lip Warts
Warts are a common skin condition caused by a type of human papillomavirus infection, or HPV 1. Warts can occur anywhere on the body, in different shapes and sizes. One common type of wart that occurs on the skin is a filiform wart. Filiform warts often occur on the face, including around the lips. If you're dealing with a lip wart, there are several way that you can approach treatment to help remove the wart 4.
Many commercial, over-the-counter wart removers are successful at helping to remove filiform warts from the face and lips. Most of these products contain the active ingredient salicylic acid. When applied to the wart, salicylic acid breaks down the keratin proteins in the wart tissue, causing the outer layer of the wart to be more easily removed. Over time, this wears the wart down until it is no longer on the skin. The American Academy of Family Physicians recommends putting salicylic acid on every day, right after you take a shower, as the salicylic acid penetrates the wart better with recently dampened skin 3.
- Many commercial, over-the-counter wart removers are successful at helping to remove filiform warts from the face and lips.
- When applied to the wart, salicylic acid breaks down the keratin proteins in the wart tissue, causing the outer layer of the wart to be more easily removed.
How to Remove Skin Tags With a Wart Remover
Warts can also be removed around the lips through physical procedures at your doctor's office. For example, your doctor can use a scalpel or scissors to physically cut the wart off of your skin where the wart meets the surface of your skin tissue. A currete can also be used to remove the wart in a procedure called curettage. With any physical procedure, there is a small chance of a scar developing in the area the wart was removed.
- Warts can also be removed around the lips through physical procedures at your doctor's office.
Lip warts may also be frozen off using a cryotherapy procedure. In this treatment, your doctor will carefully apply liquid nitrogen to the wart, causing a blister to form on the tissue below the wart 4. As the blister falls off, the wart will fall off with it. Although there are at-home kits available for freezing warts, due to the proximity of the wart to your mouth, you should talk to your doctor before using such products on a lip wart.
- Lip warts may also be frozen off using a cryotherapy procedure.
- In this treatment, your doctor will carefully apply liquid nitrogen to the wart, causing a blister to form on the tissue below the wart 4.
A newer procedure for wart removal is laser wart removal. During this procedure, an intense beam of laser light is aimed at the wart. The energy from the laser destroys the wart tissue, allowing it to be removed from your lip. Talk to your doctor about this removal option as it may not be available in all areas, depending on the equipment available to your physician.
- A newer procedure for wart removal is laser wart removal.
- During this procedure, an intense beam of laser light is aimed at the wart.
How to Remove Skin Tags With a Wart Remover
Removal of Skin Tags From the Corner of the Mouth
Home Remedies for Getting Rid of Flat Warts
How to Remove Skin Tags with Tea Tree Oil
Vitamin C for Cystic Acne
How to Remove Warts Around the Eye
How to Get Rid of Stitch Scars on the Face
Can You Use Lemon Juice to Remove Warts?
How to Get Rid of Shingle Scars
- Skin Sight: Common Warts in Adults
- The Merck Manuals: Warts
- American Academy of Family Physicians: Warts
- Dr. Greene: Wart Treatment
- InformedHealth.org. Warts: Overview. Cologne, Germany: Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG). Updated November 7, 2019.
- InformedHealth.org. What are the treatment options for warts? Cologne, Germany: Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG). Updated November 7, 2019.
- Al Aboud AM, Nigam PK. Wart (Plantar, Verruca Vulgaris, Verrucae). Treasure Island, FL: StatPearls Publishing. Updated September 27, 2019.
- Liu J, Li H, Yang F, et al. Epidemiology and Clinical Profile of Cutaneous Warts in Chinese College Students: A Cross-Sectional and Follow-Up Study. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):15450. doi:10.1038/s41598-018-33511-x
- Goldman RD. Duct tape for warts in children: Should nature take its course?. Can Fam Physician. 2019;65(5):337-338.
- Cockayne S, Hewitt C, Hicks K, et al. Cryotherapy versus salicylic acid for the treatment of plantar warts (verrucae): a randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2011;342:d3271. doi:10.1136/bmj.d3271
- Baker DA, Ferris DG, Martens MG, et al. Imiquimod 3.75% cream applied daily to treat anogenital warts: combined results from women in two randomized, placebo-controlled studies. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2011;2011:806105. doi:10.1155/2011/806105
- Gaston A, Garry RF. Topical vitamin A treatment of recalcitrant common warts. Virol J. 2012;9:21. doi:10.1186/1743-422X-9-21
- Walczuk I, Eertmans F, Rossel B, et al. Efficacy and safety of three cryotherapy devices for wart treatment: A randomized, controlled, investigator-blinded, comparative study. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2018;8(2):203-16. doi:10.1007/s13555-017-0210-5
- Dalimunthe DA, Siregar R, Tanjung C. Comparative clinical efficacy between electrodesiccation with curettage and application of 80% phenol solution in treatment of common warts. Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2018;6(2):326-9. doi:10.3889/oamjms.2018.074
- Chauhan PS, Mahajan VK, Mehta KS, Rawat R, Sharma V. The efficacy and safety of intralesional immunotherapy with measles, mumps, rubella virus vaccine for the treatment of common warts in adults. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2019;10(1):19-26. doi:10.4103/idoj.IDOJ_142_18
- Nofal A, Elkot R, Nofal E, Mazen M. Combination therapy versus monotherapy in the treatment of recalcitrant warts: A clinical and immunological study. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2018;2018;12848. doi:10.1111/jocd.12848
- Raghukumar S, Ravikumar BC, Vinay KN, et al. Intralesional vitamin D injection in the treatment of recalcitrant warts: A novel proposition. J Cutan Med Surg. 2017;21(4):320-4. doi:10.1177/1203475417704180
Chris Sherwood is a professional journalist who after years in the health administration field and writing health and wellness articles turned towards organic sustainable gardening and food education. He now owns and operates an organic-method small farm focusing his research and writing on both organic gardening methods and hydroponics.