Citalopram (Celexa) is a medication used to treat depression 1. It belongs to a group of medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors -- SSRIs. These drugs work by increasing the activity of serotonin in your brain. Side effects are generally the same in both men and women, except that women may experience menstrual irregularity on this medication. You should be careful driving or operating machinery when you begin taking citalopram, until you know how this medication will effect you.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Women might experience menstrual irregularity while taking citalopram. This means that your monthly menstrual schedule may change. This side effect usually diminishes once your body gets used to this medication. If your cycle remains irregular, or you are experiencing any other menstrual discomfort, you should see your gynecology provider to rule out any other types of illness.
- Women might experience menstrual irregularity while taking citalopram.
- If your cycle remains irregular, or you are experiencing any other menstrual discomfort, you should see your gynecology provider to rule out any other types of illness.
Allegra Side Effects in Adults
Citalopram can diminish sexual desire and decrease the ability to orgasm in women. This may improve once your body is used to the medication. You should consider speaking to your physician if this effect begins to have a negative impact on your lifestyle.
Gastrointestinal Side Effects
Nausea and diarrhea are a common side effect of citalopram. You could run the risk of becoming dehydrated if your vomiting becomes severe or lasts several days. Eating smaller meals more frequently and adhering to a bland diet may help to alleviate intestinal discomfort. If these side effects persist, consult your doctor.
- Nausea and diarrhea are a common side effect of citalopram.
- You could run the risk of becoming dehydrated if your vomiting becomes severe or lasts several days.
Junel Side Effects
Dry mouth is a common side effect of citalopram. Consider carrying lozenges or mints with you to help alleviate dry mouth. Using a good mouthwash throughout the day may help your mouth feel more refreshed. Make sure your drink an adequate amount of fluid to remain hydrated.
- Dry mouth is a common side effect of citalopram.
- Using a good mouthwash throughout the day may help your mouth feel more refreshed.
Insomnia, Fatigue, and Drowsiness
Women may experience insomnia -- difficulty falling or staying asleep, fatigue, and drowsiness while on citalopram. This side effect may diminish over time as your body gets used to this medication. In the event that you are too drowsy or fatigued to carry out your daily activities, you should speak to your health care provider for more options.
Allegra Side Effects in Adults
Junel Side Effects
Zopiclone Side Effects
Side Effects of Propranolol
The Most Common Side Effects of Valium
Side Effects for Women Who Take Flomax Medicine
Flomax Sexual Side Effects
Long-Term Effects of Amlodipine
What are the Sexual Side Effects of Strattera?
What Are the Side Effects of 10 mg of Amlodipine Besylate?
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Medication Guide: Celexa
- Annals of Clinical Psychiatry: Extrapyramidal Symptoms Associated with Antidepressants -- A Review of the Literature and an Analysis of Spontaneous Reports
- The Open Psychology Journal: Persistence of Sexual Dysfunction Side Effects after Discontinuation of Antidepressant Medications -- Emerging Evidence
- Jat MI, Afridi MI, Amar W, Lal C. Prevalence of migraine among patients of depressive disorder. Pak J Med Sci. 2018;34(4):964–967. doi:10.12669/pjms.344.14693
- Banzi R, Cusi C, Randazzo C, Sterzi R, Tedesco D, Moja L. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) for the prevention of tension-type headache in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;(5):CD011681. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD011681
- Crawford AA, Lewis S, Nutt D, et al. Adverse effects from antidepressant treatment: randomised controlled trial of 601 depressed individuals. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2014;231(15):2921–2931. doi:10.1007/s00213-014-3467-8
- Volpi-Abadie J, Kaye AM, Kaye AD. Serotonin syndrome. Ochsner J. 2013;13(4):533–540.
- American Migraine Foundation. The link between migraine, depression, and anxiety. May 2, 2018.
- FDA. Celexa (Citalopram Hydrobromide). Updated December 15, 2017.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness. Citalopram (Celexa). December 2018.
- Peres, M, Mercante, J. Anxiety and depression symptoms and migraine: a symptom-based approach research. J Headache Pain. 2017; 18(1): 37. Published online 2017 Mar 21. doi:10.1186/s10194-017-0742-1
Laura Candelaria is a family nurse practitioner and assistant professor of nursing and nutritional science. Her experience includes neonatal and pediatric intensive-care, women's oncology, gynecology, obstetrics, lactation, nutrition and infertility. She has been published in "Nursing Spectrum," "Newsday" and on various websites.