Flomax is a medication approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of male urinary symptoms caused by benign prostatic hypertention (BPH), which is an enlarged prostate 3. The FDA does not approve the use of Flomax for women. Some health care providers may recommend Flomax for "off-label" use. Urinary retention is an off-label use of Flomax for women. Flomax is listed as a category B medication for pregnancy. This means that the side effects during pregnancy are unknown. Except for side effects specific to the male anatomy, the side effects of Flomax are common to both men and women.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Effect on Blood Pressure
The manufacturer of Flomax, Astellas Pharma, Inc., warns Flomax users that a sudden drop in blood pressure may occur especially following the initial dose or a change in dose. A drop in blood pressure can occur when changing position such as standing after sitting or sitting up after reclining. You may experience dizziness, feeling lightheaded or fainting.
Side Effects of Quitting Flomax
Tamsulosin hydrochloride is the principle ingredient in Flomax. Inactive ingredients are the secondary components, according to rxlist.com 2. Read the product label before taking the medication. Individuals with allergies to these ingredients can experience a rash, itching and hives. Rare but serious side effects are swelling of the face, tongue, or throat and difficulty breathing.
- Tamsulosin hydrochloride is the principle ingredient in Flomax.
Tell your physician if you are taking any other medications, prescription or over-the-counter, before taking Flomax. Flomax interacts adversely with certain prescription medications.
Side Effects of Quitting Flomax
Junel Side Effects
The Ingredients in Adipex Diet Pills
Ambroxol Hydrochloride Side Effects
How to Use Miralax As a Detox
Dostinex for Weight Loss
Side Effects of Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice
The Side Effects of Colon Clenz
Common Male Urinary Problems
The Effects of Woman Using Rogaine for Men
- 4flomax.com: Flomax
- rxlist.com: Flomax
- prostate.emedtv.com: What is Flomax Used For?
- Flomax. Highlights of Prescribing Information. Revised January 2019.
- Zhou Z, Cui Y, Wu J, Ding R, Cai T, Gao Z. Meta-analysis of the efficacy and safety of combination of tamsulosin plus dutasteride compared with tamsulosin monotherapy in treating benign prostatic hyperplasia. BMC Urol. 2019;19(1):17. doi:10.1186/s12894-019-0446-8
- GSK for you.
- Pharmacy Technician Certification Board. (2018) Official Pharmacy Technician Certification Board Practice Exam. Washington, D.C.: Pharmacy Technician Certification Board.
- Roehrborn, C.; Siami, P.; Barkin, J. et al. The Effects of Combination Therapy with Dutasteride and Tamsulosin on Clinical Outcomes in Men with Symptomatic Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: 4-Year Results from the CombAT Study.Eur Urology.2010;57(1):123-31. DOI:10.1016/j.eururo.2009.09.035
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Highlights of Prescribing Information: Flomax (tamsulosin hydrochloride) Capsules, 0.4 mg. Silver Spring, Maryland; updated 2009.
Maryann Gromisch is a registered nurse and a freelance writer. She has clinical experience in medical, surgical and critical care nursing. Since October 2009 she has written articles related to the digestive system for Empowher.com, a women's health online magazine. She has a bachelor's degree in nursing from Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven.