Adderall is the brand name for the generic drug amphetamine 34. This prescription medication is a type of central nervous system stimulant used to control symptoms associated with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and a sleep disorder called narcolepsy. Adderall can be used by patients over the age of 3 as recommended by a doctor 3. Before taking this medication, patients should be aware of the side effects of Adderall 3.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Adderall stimulates the normal activity of the central nervous system 3. As a result, patients taking this medication can experience difficulty sleeping as a side effect, warns Drugs.com, a peer-reviewed drug information website 1. After taking a dose of this medication, patients may feel energized or restless. If this occurs, affected patients may find it difficult to fall asleep or stay asleep through the night. When deciding on an appropriate time to take Adderall each day, patients should consider how this medication affects their normal sleep patterns 3.
Decreased Appetite or Weight Loss
Ciplactin Side Effects
While taking this medication, patients may develop an unusual decrease in appetite as a side effect, report health professionals with RxList, an online drug index. Loss of appetite can affect a patient's usual dietary intake and can lead to unintended weight loss in certain patients. Due to this side effect, children who take Adderall should be consistently monitored by a doctor to ensure that they meet normal height and weight development milestones, warns PDRHealth 3.
Bowel Movement Changes
Bowel movement changes can occur in certain patients taking Adderall 3. Affected patients may experience frequent bowel movement urges, or diarrhea, that can occur in conjunction with abdominal gas or cramping. Alternatively, certain patients can experience difficulty producing a bowel movement, or constipation, explain health professionals with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration 4. These side effects of Adderall may exacerbate decreased appetite and weight loss symptoms in patients 23.
Deltacortril Side Effects
While taking this medication, patients can experience abnormal dry mouth side effects. If this occurs, affected patients may develop increased sensations of thirst accompanied by a sore, irritated throat. Certain patients may also notice an unpleasant taste within the mouth after taking Adderall, warns Drugs.com 13.
Headache or Dizziness
Headache pain or dizziness can arise as side effects of Adderall 23. Painful headache sensations are typically mild and tend to subside with continued use of this medication. Patients who experience heart rate abnormalities, blurred vision or muscle tremors in conjunction with episodes of dizziness should seek medical care immediately, as these side effects can indicate a severe reaction to Adderall, advises Drugs.com 13.
Men and women who take Adderall can develop a decreased interest in sex, or decreased libido, as a side effect of treatment, reports RxList 23. Affected patients may also have difficulty achieving orgasm during sexual stimulation. If these side effects of Adderall are bothersome, affected patients should seek further guidance from a medical professional 3.
Ciplactin Side Effects
Deltacortril Side Effects
What Are the Adverse Side Effects of Magnesium Citrate?
Colofac Side Effects
Gastrointestinal Side Effects of Lamictal
Side Effects of Z-Pak
Side Effects of Flucloxacillin
Deselex Side Effects
Drug Side Effects of Effexor
Bad Side Effects From Wellbutrin
- Drugs.com: Adderall Information
- RxList: Adderall Side Effects and Drug Interactions
- PDRHealth: Adderall
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Adderall
- Felt BT, Biermann B, Christner JG, Kochhar P, Harrison RV. Diagnosis and management of ADHD in children. Am Fam Physician. 2014;90(7):456-64.
- National Institute of Mental Health. Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Updated September 2019.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Updated January 29, 2020.
- Wolraich ML, Hagan JF, Allan C, et al. Clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2019;144(4). doi:10.1542/peds.2019-2528
- Bhattarai J, Sumerall S. Current and future treatment options for narcolepsy: a Review. Sleep Sci. 2017;10(1):19-27. doi:10.5935/1984-0063.20170004
- Martinez-Raga J, Knecht C, Szerman N, Martinez MI. Risk of serious cardiovascular problems with medications for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. CNS Drugs. 2013;27(1):15-30. doi:10.1007/s40263-012-0019-9
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Label for Adderall.
- Clavenna A, Bonati M. Pediatric pharmacoepidemiology - safety and effectiveness of medicines for ADHD. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2017;16(12):1335-1345. doi:10.1080/14740338.2017.1389894
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Information about medications used to treat attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Rae Uddin has worked as a freelance writer and editor since 2004. She specializes in scientific journalism and medical and technical writing. Her work has appeared in various online publications. Uddin earned her Master of Science in integrated biomedical sciences with an emphasis in molecular and cellular biochemistry from the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.