Lamictal, the brand name for lamotrigine, is a prescription seizure medication that can be used by patients older than 2 years of age. This medication can also be used to control bipolar disorder symptoms in adult patients. Lamictal is an anticonvulsant that works by regulating the levels of specific chemicals within the brain. Gastrointestinal side effects of Lamictal can be uncomfortable and patients who experience these side effects should talk with a doctor.
Nausea or Vomiting
Treatment with Lamictal can cause side effects of nausea or vomiting in certain patients, explains Medline Plus, a website of the National Institutes of Health 12. These stomach upset symptoms are uncomfortable and may contribute to a decrease in appetite in affected patients. In clinical trials for this medication, approximately 20 percent of patients developed nausea, while nearly 10 percent of patients experienced vomiting following Lamictal treatment, explains RxList, an online drug index for consumers. Eating a small snack or meal before taking a dose of Lamictal can help prevent the development of these side effects. Nausea or vomiting side effects of Lamictal are typically temporary and subside within a few hours of treatment.
- Treatment with Lamictal can cause side effects of nausea or vomiting in certain patients, explains Medline Plus, a website of the National Institutes of Health 1.
Deltacortril Side Effects
After taking a dose of Lamictal, patients can experience an unusual burning sensation in the upper abdomen or chest, reports Medline Plus. This side effect called heartburn can also cause patients to develop pain or soreness in the chest or throat. Heartburn may last for several minutes or hours and can exacerbate sensations of nausea in certain patients.
Diarrhea or Constipation
Patients taking Lamictal can experience bowel movement changes as a side effect of treatment, warns PDR Health 1. Affected patients may experience frequent bowel movement urges that yield watery or loose stools. Alternatively, certain patients can have difficulty producing a regular bowel movement. Diarrhea and constipation can also contribute to abdominal bloating, cramping or discomfort in certain patients. Patients who experience severe or persistent bowel movement changes during Lamictal treatment should contact a doctor as soon as possible.
- Patients taking Lamictal can experience bowel movement changes as a side effect of treatment, warns PDR Health 1.
- Alternatively, certain patients can have difficulty producing a regular bowel movement.
Deselex Side Effects
Lamictal can cause painful stomach or abdominal side effects in certain patients, explains Drugs.com, a peer-reviewed drug information website. Stomach pain can be uncomfortable and may occur in conjunction with other gastrointestinal side effects, such as nausea or bowel movement difficulties. Painful sensations within the stomach may radiate into the back or joints of affected patients. If these side effects persist, affected patients should contact a medical professional.
- Lamictal can cause painful stomach or abdominal side effects in certain patients, explains Drugs.com, a peer-reviewed drug information website.
- Stomach pain can be uncomfortable and may occur in conjunction with other gastrointestinal side effects, such as nausea or bowel movement difficulties.
Deltacortril Side Effects
Deselex Side Effects
Side Effects of Adderall
Ambroxol Hydrochloride Side Effects
Colofac Side Effects
What Are the Adverse Side Effects of Magnesium Citrate?
Ciplactin Side Effects
Drug Side Effects of Effexor
Side Effects of HCL Supplements
Bad Side Effects From Wellbutrin
- PDR Health: Lamictal
- Medline Plus: Lamotrigine—What side effects can this medication cause?
- Highlights of Prescribing Information: Lamictal (Lamotrigine) Tablets. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Silver Spring, Maryland; Updated May 2009.
- Bipolar Disorder. National Institute of Mental Health. Updated November 2017.
- Clark CT, Klein AM, Perel JM, Helsel J, Wisner KL. Lamotrigine dosing for pregnant patients with bipolar disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2013;170(11):1240-7. doi:10.1176/appi.ajp.2013.13010006
- Lamotrigine (Lamictal). National Alliance on Mental Illness. June 2019.
- Schoretsanitis G, Haen E, Grunder G, et al. Pharmacokinetic drug-drug interactions of mood stabilizers and Risperidone in patients under combined treatment. J Clinical Psychopharmacol. 2016;36(6):554-61. doi:10.1097/JCP.0000000000000601
Rae Uddin has worked as a freelance writer and editor since 2004. She specializes in scientific journalism and medical and technical writing. Her work has appeared in various online publications. Uddin earned her Master of Science in integrated biomedical sciences with an emphasis in molecular and cellular biochemistry from the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.