What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Over the Counter Medication for Oral Thrush
Oral thrush, also called candidiasis, is an overgrowth of fungus in your mouth. Oral thrush can result from a compromised immune system, prescription medications, poor oral hygiene, some medical procedures, sexual transmission or through transmission from a mother to her newborn.
**Several nonprescription treatments can treat thrush.
** They are intended for mild cases. You should see your doctor if the condition persists.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Make a mouth rinse by placing 1 tbsp.
of organic or unfiltered apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of warm water. Rinse your mouth four times a day. You can also drink an 8-oz. glass of this solution once a day.
Apple cider vinegar works it contains natural enzymes that can control the presence of candida in the body 2. It helps supports the growth of healthy bacteria, which counters the overgrowth of candida.
- Make a mouth rinse by placing 1 tbsp.
A solution of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide is another alternative. Swish it in your mouth for 30 seconds several times a day until your symptoms subside.
Dissolve 1/2 tsp. of salt in 1 cup of warm water.
Swish this rinse in your mouth and then spit it out. Do this several times a day until your symptoms subside.
- of salt in 1 cup of warm water.
- Swish this rinse in your mouth and then spit it out.
Baking Soda Rinse
Home Remedy to Prevent a Mouth Infection
Rinsing your mouth with a solution of 1 tsp. of baking soda dissolved in 1 cup of warm water also works for mild cases of thrush. Swish the solution in your mouth three times a day. Then decrease treatment to once a day until your symptoms are gone. You also can try brushing your teeth with baking soda once a day, along with rinsing your mouth. Baking soda helps maintain a normal pH in your mouth.
- Rinsing your mouth with a solution of 1 tsp.
- of baking soda dissolved in 1 cup of warm water also works for mild cases of thrush.
Healthy adults with oral thrush may be able to manage the infection by taking acidophilus capsules or liquid found at a pharmacy or natural food store. Acidophilus does not destroy the fungus, but it can help restore the normal bacterial flora in your mouth and in the rest of your body.
Prepared Oral Rinse
Using an over-the-counter oral rinse made with a concentrate of stannous fluoride is an effective treatment for mild oral thrush. It is alcohol free and works for eight hours.
For the first three days, rinse three times a day--in the morning, afternoon and evening. **For the next three days, rinse two times a day--in the morning and evening.
** For the next five days, rinse once daily just before you go to bed.
Swish the rinse over all the surfaces in your mouth, making sure to make contact with your teeth, gums, tongue and palette for one minute. Do not eat or drink for at least 15 minutes after rinsing.
- Using an over-the-counter oral rinse made with a concentrate of stannous fluoride is an effective treatment for mild oral thrush.
- For the first three days, rinse three times a day--in the morning, afternoon and evening.
Use an oral spray to lubricate you mouth when you have oral thrush. People who have thrush often have a dry mouth. Several over-the-counter are available. The oral spray is made from dimethicone and poloxamer 407 silicones and the extract of Spilanthes, a natural herb that enhances saliva flow. **The spray also relieves burning, and is alcohol free.
** Use it throughout the day as needed by applying three or four sprays to your tongue. Then swish your tongue over your teeth, gums and other surfaces in your mouth.
- Use an oral spray to lubricate you mouth when you have oral thrush.
Sugar-free lozenges help keep your mouth moist when you have oral thrush. Sugar promotes the growth of thrush.
Home Remedy to Prevent a Mouth Infection
Active Ingredients in Scope Mouthwash
The Best Ways to Water Clean Teeth
How to Heal Tongue Sores
How to Get Rid of a Bad Taste in Your Mouth
Vinegar Douche Benefits
How to Get Rid of Oral Thrush With Natural Herbs
Grapefruit Seed Extract Benefits & Dosage
How to Get Rid of a Scabby Nose
- Medline Plus: Thrush
- Natural News.com: Apple Cider Vinegar is Effective Treatment for Candida
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Candida infections of the mouth, throat, and esophagus
- Thrush—Children and Adults. MedlinePlus. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000626.htm.
- Candida Infections of the Mouth, Throat, and Esophagus. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/candidiasis/thrush/index.html#risk.
- Oral Thrush (Mouth Thrush). National Health Service. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/oral-thrush-mouth-thrush/.
- Hoare A, Marsh PD, Diaz PI. Ecological Therapeutic Opportunities for Oral Diseases. Microbiology Spectrum. 2017;5(4):10.1128/microbiolspec.BAD-0006-2016. doi:10.1128/microbiolspec.BAD-0006-2016.
- Van Boven J, de Jong-van den Berg L, Vegter S. Inhaled Corticosteroids and the Occurrence of Oral Candidiasis: a Prescription Sequence Symmetry Analysis. Drug Safety. 2013; 36(4):231-6.
Susan Berg has a BS degree in Medical Technology from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and an AS degree as a Certified Occupational Therapy AssistantCOTA/L) - North Shre Community College-Massachusetts. She is as a Certified Dementia Practitioner(CDP), .Berg has written for 10 years. She authored the book, "Adorable Photographs of Our Baby", and currently writes for "Activity Director Today" and "Current Activities in Geriatric Care".