What is Candida?
Candida is a genus of yeasts, many species of which can be found living in most humans and animals. In most cases, Candida (usually Candida albicans in mammals) is commensal, meaning it lives with the other flora in the gut without causing any particular harm. Certain changes in environment, like a sudden lack of balance between yeast and bacteria in the body will sometimes trigger the harmless single-celled Candida to become a multicellular invader. Overgrowth of the yeast is referred to as candidiasis 1.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
- Candida is a genus of yeasts, many species of which can be found living in most humans and animals.
- In most cases, Candida (usually Candida albicans in mammals) is commensal, meaning it lives with the other flora in the gut without causing any particular harm.
Candida Diet for Vegans
There are multiple home remedies for treating the various manifestations of candidiasis. For yeast infections, there are several over-the-counter drugs such as:
- Butoconazole (Femstat)
- Miconazole (Monistat)
- Tioconazole (Vagistat),
- Clotrimazole (Femizole-7
Treatment with these products should clear up symptoms in about a week.
There is a large contingency of alternative medical practitioners that believes many diseases are caused by excess Candida in the system. Many of these claims are unproven and have few studies but many articles on the subject and products for sale on alternative health product websites. To fully deal with this full-system problem, they say that treatment requires 6 to 12 months to use natural therapy to restore balance to the body. They recommend products that restore the body's bacteria such as acidophilus and bifido bacteria to prevent the growth of candida. Additional recommendations include oil of oregano capsules, glutamine capsules, grapefruit seed extract and wormwood. They also believe that a diet low in sugars of all forms will help to deprive the candida of its food source. When the candida begin to respond to treatment, they will start to die off, which will cause multiple symptoms in the body for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.
- There is a large contingency of alternative medical practitioners that believes many diseases are caused by excess Candida in the system.
- They recommend products that restore the body's bacteria such as acidophilus and bifido bacteria to prevent the growth of candida.
Candida Diet for Vegans
Grapefruit Seed Extract for a Yeast Infection
Should I Take Probiotics With Diflucan?
Side Effects of FOS in Probiotics
The Yeast Connection Diet
Chia Seeds & L-Glutamine for Candida
How Caffeine Affects Candida
Intestinal Yeast & Body Odor
Stevia & the Candida Diet
Dysbiosis Diet Foods to Avoid
- Candidiasis (Yeast Infection)
- Uma B, Prabhakar K, Rajendran S. Anticandidal activity of Asparagus racemosus. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2009;71(3):342-343. doi:10.4103/0250-474X.56017
- Mitsou EK, Kougia E, Nomikos T, et al. Effect of banana consumption on faecal microbiota: a randomised, controlled trial. Anaerobe. 2011 Dec;17(6):384-7. doi:10.1016/j.anaerobe.2011.03.018
- Ksouri S, Djebir S, Bentorki AA, et al. Antifungal activity of essential oils extract from Origanum floribundum Munby, Rosmarinus officinalis L. and Thymus ciliatus Desf. against Candida albicans isolated from bovine clinical mastitis. J Mycol Med. 2017;27(2):245-249. doi:10.1016/j.mycmed.2017.03.004.
- Zhang N, Huang X, Zeng, Y, et al. Study on prebiotic effectiveness of neutral garlic fructan in vitro. Food Sci Nutr. 2013;2(3-4):119-123. doi:10.1016/j.fshw.2013.07.001
- Weerasekera MM, Jayarathna TA, Wijesinghe GK, et al. The effect of nutritive and non-nutritive sweeteners on the growth, adhesion, and biofilm formation of Candida albicans and Candida tropicalis. Med Princ Pract. 2017;26(6):554-560. doi:10.1159/000484718
- Yang AM, Inamine T, Hochrath K, et al. Intestinal fungi contribute to development of alcoholic liver disease. J Clin Invest. 2017;127(7):2829-2841. doi:10.1172/JCI90562
- Sheth CC, Makda K, Dilmahomed Z, et al. Alcohol and tobacco consumption affect the oral carriage of Candida albicans and mutans streptococci. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2016;63(4):254-9. doi:10.1111/lam.12620
- Lei L, Ou L, Yu X. The antioxidant effect of Asparagus cochinchinensis (Lour.) Merr. shoot in D-galactose induced mice aging model and in vitro. J Chin Med Assoc. 2016 Apr;79(4):205-11. doi:10.1016/j.jcma.2015.06.023
- Oliveira VMC, Santos SSF, Silva, CRG, et al. Lactobacillus is able to alter the virulence and the sensitivity profile of Candida albicans. J. Appl. Microbiol. 2016;121(6):1737-1744. doi:10.1111/jam.13289
Bryan Cohen has been a writer since 2001 and is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a double degree in English and dramatic art. His writing has appeared on various online publications including his personal website Build Creative Writing Ideas.