Body and hair odor can be cause for ridicule and embarrassment. The formation of candida colonies can cause this problem, but with the proper diet and by controlling certain factors, the odor can be eliminated.
Function of Candida
According to Nourished Magazine, the yeast overgrowth in your body is known as candida 1. Candida is a one-celled fungus that resides in all parts of the body, including the eyes, ears and stomach. It serves as a friendly fungus and wards off harmful bacteria and contaminants that enter the body. When candida begins to grow heavily within the body, problems such as smelly hair begin to occur.
- According to Nourished Magazine, the yeast overgrowth in your body is known as candida 1.
Oily & Smelly Scalp
According to Nourished Magazine, a healthy immune system maintains the fungus in your body 1. When your body’s immune system stops functioning properly, candida can grow out of control. When your immune system is damaged, it can no longer fight off the good fungus, let alone the bad bacteria. Symptoms such as smelly hair begin to arise, illustrating that the yeast is expanding and increasing.
- According to Nourished Magazine, a healthy immune system maintains the fungus in your body 1.
- When your body’s immune system stops functioning properly, candida can grow out of control.
According to Science Daily, the causes for a poor immune system are malnutrition, unsanitary environment and a developing virus in the body such as HIV 2. Nourished Magazine cites that when candida grows uncontrollably, it begins producing colonies 1. These colonies of candida create toxins within the body, which move around and deplete your immune system even more. Once they begin to circulate, the body begins to malfunction and produce symptoms such as smelly hair.
Causes of Smelly Acne
The apocrine glands are outgrowths of the hair follicles; they are made up of a gland and a duct that travels toward the hair follicle. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, the apocrine gland does not usually emit odor, but when the body has immune problems the gland functions improperly, which allows a smell to waft from your hair or scalp.
One way to prevent your hair from smelling because of the overgrowth of candida yeast is to eat a proper diet. According to Nourished Magazine, one of the biggest culprits of an abundance of candida is sugar 1. Sugar provides food for candida. When you continually supply candida with a food source, it multiplies and grows. This also allows candida to grow in your body. If you take away these toxic environmental factors, candida will stay at a healthful level.
- One way to prevent your hair from smelling because of the overgrowth of candida yeast is to eat a proper diet.
Oily & Smelly Scalp
Causes of Smelly Acne
Different Types of Probiotics for Body Odor
Treatments for Smelly Armpits
Personal Hygiene Objectives
Causes of Really Bad Foot Odor
Causes of Prematurely Gray Hair
Symptoms of an Infected Ingrown Hair
Definition of Personal Hygiene
Intestinal Yeast & Body Odor
- Nourished Magazine: Candida
- Science Daily: The Many Causes of Immune Deficiency
- Uma B, Prabhakar K, Rajendran S. Anticandidal activity of Asparagus racemosus. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2009;71(3):342-343. doi:10.4103/0250-474X.56017
- Mitsou EK, Kougia E, Nomikos T, et al. Effect of banana consumption on faecal microbiota: a randomised, controlled trial. Anaerobe. 2011 Dec;17(6):384-7. doi:10.1016/j.anaerobe.2011.03.018
- Ksouri S, Djebir S, Bentorki AA, et al. Antifungal activity of essential oils extract from Origanum floribundum Munby, Rosmarinus officinalis L. and Thymus ciliatus Desf. against Candida albicans isolated from bovine clinical mastitis. J Mycol Med. 2017;27(2):245-249. doi:10.1016/j.mycmed.2017.03.004.
- Zhang N, Huang X, Zeng, Y, et al. Study on prebiotic effectiveness of neutral garlic fructan in vitro. Food Sci Nutr. 2013;2(3-4):119-123. doi:10.1016/j.fshw.2013.07.001
- Weerasekera MM, Jayarathna TA, Wijesinghe GK, et al. The effect of nutritive and non-nutritive sweeteners on the growth, adhesion, and biofilm formation of Candida albicans and Candida tropicalis. Med Princ Pract. 2017;26(6):554-560. doi:10.1159/000484718
- Yang AM, Inamine T, Hochrath K, et al. Intestinal fungi contribute to development of alcoholic liver disease. J Clin Invest. 2017;127(7):2829-2841. doi:10.1172/JCI90562
- Sheth CC, Makda K, Dilmahomed Z, et al. Alcohol and tobacco consumption affect the oral carriage of Candida albicans and mutans streptococci. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2016;63(4):254-9. doi:10.1111/lam.12620
- Lei L, Ou L, Yu X. The antioxidant effect of Asparagus cochinchinensis (Lour.) Merr. shoot in D-galactose induced mice aging model and in vitro. J Chin Med Assoc. 2016 Apr;79(4):205-11. doi:10.1016/j.jcma.2015.06.023
- Oliveira VMC, Santos SSF, Silva, CRG, et al. Lactobacillus is able to alter the virulence and the sensitivity profile of Candida albicans. J. Appl. Microbiol. 2016;121(6):1737-1744. doi:10.1111/jam.13289
Based in Boulder City, Nev., Tara Thackeray began writing in 2008 for a national law review website. Her work has been published on the BARBRI website and she also contributes humorous articles on her blog. Thackeray holds a Bachelor of Arts in communication from Arizona State University.