Ingredients in Kraft Mac & Cheese
Kraft Foods is one of the largest food companies in the world, with many $1 billion brands. Its “blue box” macaroni and cheese product is a perennial favorite. Made simply at home, the macaroni and cheese product consists of dry macaroni with cheese sauce mix.
The macaroni in Kraft Macaroni & Cheese is an enriched macaroni product. It's made from wheat flour, to which the B vitamins niacin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid and riboflavin have been added. The macaroni is also enriched with iron in the form of ferrous sulfate.
Greek Yogurt Serving Size
Every package of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese contains a package of mix to make cheese sauce. The cheese sauce mix contains several milk ingredients: whey (milk protein), milk protein concentrate, milk, milkfat and cheese culture. The cheese sauce mix also contains salt, sodium tripolyphosphate, sodium phosphate and calcium phosphate. According to the International Food Additives Council, sodium phosphates help cheese retain its melting properties and calcium phosphate improves nutritional value. Yellow 5 and Yellow 6 are added to the sauce mix as colorings. Final ingredients in the sauce mix are citric acid, lactic acid and enzymes. According to the Food Additives and Ingredients Association, acids are added to foods as preservatives and emulsifiers. Enzymes are catalysts, and may help the cheese sauce reconstitute properly.
- Every package of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese contains a package of mix to make cheese sauce.
- According to the International Food Additives Council, sodium phosphates help cheese retain its melting properties and calcium phosphate improves nutritional value.
When making Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, add your own butter or margarine and milk according to package directions. The products you choose affect the overall calorie count and nutrition of the product.
Greek Yogurt Serving Size
Cheese Allergy Symptoms
Kraft Easy Mac Nutrition Information
Farmer Cheese Nutrition
Foods With Sodium Alginate
Wheat Chex Cereal Nutrition Information
Crystal Light Nutrition Information
What Is Sodium Carboxymethyl?
Lifeway Kefir Nutrition
Nutrition Facts of Doenjang Jjigae
- Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
- Food Additives and Ingredients Association: Acidulants
- Applebee's, Kraft, Macaroni & Cheese, from kid's menu. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Published April 1, 2019.
- Kraft Original Flavor Macaroni & Cheese Dinner 7.25 oz Box. Kraft.
- Macaroni and Cheese. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Published April 1, 2019.
- Macaroni or noodles with cheese. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Published April 1, 2019.
- How much sodium should I eat per day? American Heart Association. Reviewed May 23, 2018.
- Mäkelä M. Milk and wheat allergy, and celiac disease. Clin Transl Allergy. 2011;1(Suppl 1):S37. Published 2011 Aug 12. doi:10.1186/2045-7022-1-S1-S37
Stephanie Crumley Hill is a childbirth educator who for more than 20 years has written professionally about pregnancy, family and a variety of health and medical topics. A former print magazine editor, her insurance articles for “Resource” magazine garnered numerous awards. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Georgia.