How to Tape a Wrist for Football
Shucking away an offensive lineman or stiff-arming a chasing defender is good football technique, but it may put you at risk for a wrist injury. Many ligaments in the wrist can stretch or tear if you don't protect them. In more severe cases, you may break a bone in your wrist. In addition to performing regular wrist-strengthening exercises, taping your wrist may help you prevent season-ending injuries 2.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Apply prewrap tape to the wrist. Start 2 to 3 inches below the bend of your wrist, closest to your body. Continue wrapping until you are 1/2 inch past the bend of your wrist. Do not apply too much tape. You only need one layer between your skin and the adhesive tape.
How to Wrap Achilles Tendon
Tape adhesive tape over the prewrap tape. Start applying your adhesive tape 1/2 inch below your prewrap tape, so half the width of the tape will make direct contact with skin. Continue wrapping the tape around the wrist. Make sure you half overlap each previous wrap of tape. Use moderate pressure, but do not make it too tight. Wrap until you are 1/2 inch past the the prewrap tape around your wrist, so that the adhesive tape makes contact with the skin. Be advised that the tape will loosen with football play.
Perform the capillary refill test after applying tape to make sure you have adequate circulation. Squeeze a fingernail until it turns white. Release and ensure the fingernail turns red within a few seconds. Always make sure you don't experience numbness or tingling in the hand.
Your taping skills will improve with practice. Practice regularly on yourself or a teammate.
Never continue football activity if the wrist is red, swollen, deformed or severely painful.
How to Wrap Achilles Tendon
How to Wrap a Knee With Athletic Tape
How to Wrap a Pulled Quad With Athletic Tape
Homemade Night Splint
How to Rehab a Suspensory Strain
Isometric Hand Grip Exercises
How To Tell If An Ace Bandage Is Too Tight
How to Wrap a Wrist With Athletic Tape
How to Remove a Wedding Band Indentation
Home Remedies to Remove Warts on Fingers
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons: Wrist Sprain
- Al-subahi M, Alayat M, Alshehri MA, et al. The effectiveness of physiotherapy interventions for sacroiliac joint dysfunction: a systematic review. J Phys Ther Sci. 2017;29(9):1689-1694. doi:10.1589/jpts.29.1689
- Do-Yun Shin and Ju-Young Heo. The Effects of Kinesiotaping Applied onto Erector Spinae and Sacroiliac Joint on Lumbar Flexibility. J Kor Phys Ther 2017;29(6):307-315. doi:
- Selva, F., Pardo, A., Aguado, X. et al. A study of reproducibility of kinesiology tape applications: review, reliability and validity. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 20, 153 (2019) doi:10.1186/s12891-019-2533-0
- Daniel H. Craighead, Sean W. Shank, Kyle M. Volz, and Lacy M. Alexander Kinesiology Tape Modestly Increases Skin Blood Flow Regardless of Tape Application Technique Journal of Performance Health Research Volume 1, Issue 1. Pages 72-78. doi:10.25036/jphr.2017.1.1.craighead
As a physical medicine and rehabilitation physician I have extensive experience in musculoskeletal/neurological medicine that will benefit the network.