How to Control Diarrhea After a Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, typically erupt between the ages of 17 and 25. A variety of complications can occur as a result of the wisdom teeth overcrowding, including infection, impaction and cysts. Extraction of the wisdom teeth is required to rectify these problems. Antibiotics, which are often administered prophylactically to prevent infection of the wounds created from tooth removal, have the potential to cause diarrhea. It is important to manage diarrhea to prevent dehydration.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Eat the BRAT diet, which consists of bananas, plain rice, applesauce and plain toast. Consuming foods that are easy to digest and high in carbohydrates, such as those on the BRAT diet, decreases the stress on your digestive tract and allows your body to more rapidly recover from your diarrhea. Dark toast is dry and scratchy, so eat only lightly toasted bread to avoid irritating your exposed gums.
Side Effects of Ashwagandha Diarrhea
Avoid eating fatty foods, foods high in fiber and dairy products until you have been free of diarrhea for at least three days. Consuming these foods can aggravate your diarrhea. Foods to avoid include fried foods, fruits, vegetables, milk, yogurt and ice cream.
Drink sugar-free sports drinks to replace the electrolytes and fluid your body loses during its bout of diarrhea. Soup and broth are also suitable fluids to drink and may be more soothing to your sore mouth 23. Do not drink through a straw, as this can prevent your wounds from forming clots.
Follow your doctor's instructions on what you can and cannot eat after a wisdom tooth extraction.
Side Effects of Ashwagandha Diarrhea
How to Stop Diarrhea with Household Items
Diarrhea and the BRAT Diet
How Does Caffeine Affect the Bowels of a Person Who Has Acute Chronic Gastritis & Diverticulitis?
Which Foods to Avoid for Chronic Diarrhea
How to Stop Weight Loss on Vyvanse
Home Remedies for Diarrhea in Adults
How to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers
How to Stop Diarrhea & Vomiting
Side Effects of Pepto-Bismol
- “Foundations of Nursing”; Lois White, et al.; 2010
- "Introduction to Medical-Surgical Nursing"; Adrianne Dill Linton; 2007
- "Gastrointestinal Nursing"; Graeme Smith and Roger Watson; 2005
- Appendix 7. Nutritional Goals for Age-Sex Groups Based on Dietary Reference Intakes and Dietary Guidelines Recommendations - 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines - health.gov. Health.gov. https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/appendix-7/. Published 2015.
- Hatchette TF, Farina D. Infectious diarrhea: when to test and when to treat. CMAJ. 2011;183(3):339-44. doi:10.1503/cmaj.091495
- Robert Steffen, Klaus Gyr, Diet in the Treatment of Diarrhea: From Tradition to Evidence, Clinical Infectious Diseases, Volume 39, Issue 4, 15 August 2004, Pages 472–473, doi:10.1086/422328
- Mäkinen KK. Gastrointestinal Disturbances Associated with the Consumption of Sugar Alcohols with Special Consideration of Xylitol: Scientific Review and Instructions for Dentists and Other Health-Care Professionals. Int J Dent. 2016;2016:5967907. doi:10.1155/2016/5967907
- Zodpey S, Deshpande S, Ughade S, Hinge A, Shrikhande S. Risk factors for development of dehydration in children aged under five who have acute watery diarrhoea. Public Health. 1998;112(4):233-236. doi:10.1016/s0033-3506(98)00238-8
- Gould M, Sellin JH. Diabetic diarrhea. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2009;11(5):354-9.
- Nyachuba DG. Foodborne illness: is it on the rise? Nutr Rev. 2010;68(5):257-69. doi:10.1111/j.1753-4887.2010.00286.x
- Appendix 7. Nutritional Goals for Age-Sex Groups Based on Dietary Reference Intakes and Dietary Guidelines Recommendations - 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines - health.gov. Health.gov. Published 2015.
- Barr W, Smith A. Acute Diarrhea in Adults. American Family Physician. 2014;89(3):180-189.
- Hartman S, Brown E, Loomis E, Holly Ann Russell. Gastroenteritis in Children. American Family Physician. 2019;99(3):159-165.
- Murao S, Hosokawa H. Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Antagonist for Treatment of Severe Diabetic Diarrhea. Diabetes Care. 2010;33(3):e38-e38. doi:10.2337/dc09-2131
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Eating, Diet, & Nutrition for Diarrhea. Published July 2019.
- Steffen R, Gyr K. Diet in the Treatment of Diarrhea: From Tradition to Evidence. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2004;39(4):472-473. doi:10.1086/422328
Leigh Wittman has been writing professionally since 2007. She writes primarily on health, career advice, outdoor pursuits and travel for various websites. Wittman is a licensed nurse and studied nursing at Arizona State University.