**Albuterol is a common rescue inhaler prescribed for asthma patients 1.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
** There are several herbs and herbal formulas to research when considering herbal alternatives to Albuterol. Some work as anti-spasmotics, or calming herbs, and some work as expulsion agents, which work to eject mucous and phlegm from the respiratory system. Asthma is commonly believed to stem from allergies to pollens, dust, smoke and other outdoors conditions.
Alternative health care providers believe asthma may have roots in poor nutrition, and only by addressing food issues will asthma be permanently relieved. Always check with a trusted health care provider before self-medicating with any product or treatment.
Lobelia and Valerian
If an asthma sufferer is experiencing convulsions, have them take lobelia tincture immediately. Lobelia is a wonderful anti-spasmotic herb, useful in calming any kind of body spasms or cramping. Lobelia stimulates the vagus nerve, however. Taking too much lobelia at once can trigger vomiting.
Make a tea of valerian root, add a pinch of cayenne powder to it, and drink it to quiet down convulsions.
- If an asthma sufferer is experiencing convulsions, have them take lobelia tincture immediately.
- Make a tea of valerian root, add a pinch of cayenne powder to it, and drink it to quiet down convulsions.
Herbs for Suppressing the Appetite
**A great formula for lung and bronchial support consists of the following herbs: comfrey root, mullein, chickweed, marshmallow root and lobelia.
This formula can be found in tea and capsule form, and is useful in many respiratory conditions, including asthma. This tea should be taken three times a day with half a dropper of lobelia tincture added to each cup for extra support. **
- A great formula for lung and bronchial support consists of the following herbs: comfrey root, mullein, chickweed, marshmallow root and lobelia.
Mullein soothes the lungs and helps dislodge phlegm. It is often combined with sage and plaintain in asthma recipes 1.
You can make a steam treatment for asthma with mullein, by simmering a strong pot of mullein tea on a stove. You then cover your head with a bath towel and inhale the steam from the tea.
- Mullein soothes the lungs and helps dislodge phlegm.
- You can make a steam treatment for asthma with mullein, by simmering a strong pot of mullein tea on a stove.
Herbs That Clean the Lungs
A nerve restoration formula may be very helpful for asthma 1. It contains black cohosh, capsicum, hops flowers, lobelia, scullcap, valerian, wood betony and mistletoe. It is either taken as a tincture or made into a tea and consumed three times a day. It promotes relaxation and relief of tension 1.
It is mildly stimulating and yet it calms the nervous system and reduces pain. It feeds the motor nerve at the base of the skull, and also rebuilds nerve sheaths and the nerves themselves.
- A nerve restoration formula may be very helpful for asthma 1.
- It feeds the motor nerve at the base of the skull, and also rebuilds nerve sheaths and the nerves themselves.
All dairy products should be discontinued immediately, because milk products are mucous-producing. A quality colon cleanser is recommended to rid the body of old toxins which may be contributing to the asthma attacks.
A mostly vegetarian diet should be followed, with a little white fish or hormone-free chicken allowed weekly. **About three-fourths of the diet should be fresh, uncooked fruits and vegetables, and one-fourth should be cooked food such as legumes, whole grains or baked potatoes.
** Sugar is to be avoided and replaced with honey, stevia or agave nectar.
Salt intake should be restricted. Exercise outdoors regularly 1.
Drink at least a half gallon of pure water (not tap water) daily. Make sure there is great ventilation indoors 1.
- All dairy products should be discontinued immediately, because milk products are mucous-producing.
- A mostly vegetarian diet should be followed, with a little white fish or hormone-free chicken allowed weekly.
Herbs for Suppressing the Appetite
Herbs That Clean the Lungs
Cough Expectorant Home Remedies
Chamomile & Honey Tea for Laryngitis
Is Cardamom a Stimulant Like Caffeine?
How do I Stop a Smoking Cough?
Phlegm Cough Home Remedies
Herbal Remedies for Nasal Polyps
Lemon Grass Tea Herb & Gastritis
What are the Health Benefits of Sitopaladi Churna?
- Dr. Christopher's Herbal Legacy; Asthma
- Carson KV, Brinn MP, Robertson TA, et al. Current and emerging pharmacotherapeutic options for smoking cessation. Subst Abuse. 2013;7:85-105. doi:10.4137%2FSART.S8108
- Sajja RK, Rahman S. Lobeline and cytisine reduce voluntary ethanol drinking behavior in male C57BL/6J mice. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2011;35(1):257-64.doi:10.1016/j.pnpbp.2010.11.020
- Stead LF, Hughes JR. Lobeline for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;(2):CD000124. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD000124.pub2
- Roni MA, Rahman S. Antidepressant-like effects of lobeline in mice: behavioral, neurochemical, and neuroendocrine evidence. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2013;41:44-51. doi:10.1016/j.pnpbp.2012.11.011
- Shah SGS. A Commentary on "Ensuring safe surgical care across resource settings via surgical outcomes data & quality improvement initiatives" (Int J Surg 2019 Aug 5. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.ijsu.2019.07.036). Int J Surg. 2019;72:14-15. doi:10.1177/1087054713497791
- Penn State Hershey Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. Lobelia. Last updated January 2, 2015.
- Farook JM1, Lewis B, Gaddis JG, Littleton JM, Barron S. Lobeline, a Nicotinic Partial Agonist Attenuates Alcohol Consumption and Preference in Male C57BL/6J Mice. Physiology & Behavior. 2009 Jun 22;97(3-4):503-6. doi:10.1016/j.physbeh.2009.02.031
- Felpin, F, Lebreton, J. History, Chemistry and Biology of Alkaloids from Lobelia Inflata." ChemInform. 204 October; 60(45). doi:10.1016/j.tet.2004.08.010
- McChargue DE1, Collins FL Jr, Cohen LM. Effect of Non-Nicotinic Moist Snuff Replacement and Lobeline on Withdrawal Symptoms During 48-h Smokeless Tobacco Deprivation. Nicotine & Tobacco Research. 2002 May;4(2):195-200. doi:10.1080/146222002101244
- Stead LF1, Hughes JR. Lobeline for Smoking Cessation. Cochrane Database System Review. 2012 Feb 15;2: CD000124. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD000124