The ostensible purpose of a cigarette filter is to make the smoke safer for a person to inhale 1. Supposedly, filtered cigarettes provide a person with all the benefits and taste of smoke but with fewer risks such as heart attack or cancer. Every smoker has, at least once, accidentally lit his cigarette from the filter end 1. There have been rumors and Internet crazes over the years that the materials in the filter contain amazingly harmful chemicals and that lighting them up and inhaling the fumes can cause everything from cancer to genital malfunction. Taking a closer look at just what filters are made of can put these claims to bed.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Negative Effects of Black & Mild Cigars
Modern cigarette filters are made up mostly of cellulose acetate 1. This is a mesh of fibers that is supposed to act like a net, catching poisonous elements from cigarette smoke 1. This material is the same thing that tissue paper and paper napkins are composed of. Other ingredients contained in a cigarette filter are triacetin, mineral oil, titanium dioxide, sorbitan monolaureate and ethoxylated sorbitan monolaureate 1. Whenever a person smokes a filtered cigarette, he is also inhaling small particles of the filter, which isn't healthy, but it's far from the worst effect of cigarette smoking 1.
Modern cigarette filters don't pose any major, enhanced danger to cigarette smokers (worse than actually smoking the cigarette it's attached to) according to the companies that produce them 1. However, this has not always been the case. In the early 1950s, Phillip Morris was using a form of asbestos in its cigarette filters because, at the time, asbestos was thought to be safe 1. The result was a bizarre and unique form of cancer found in people who smoked these cigarettes. Phillip Morris also suffered filter problems in the 1990s when a batch of regularly filtered cigarettes was contaminated with a pesticide. Both of these products, according to snopes.com, which published the historical accounts, were recalled once the danger was realized. It's scandals like this that endure and make the rumors of strange chemicals being placed in modern cigarette filters so compelling for people 1.
Negative Effects of Black & Mild Cigars
Vape Pen vs. Cigarettes: Is Vaping Bad for Your Health?
The Risks of Smoking Black & Mild Cigars
Pros & Cons of Smoking From a Hookah
List of All Chemicals in Cigarette Smoke
Smoking & Shortness of Breath
What Can Smoking Do to Your Circulatory System?
Facts about Smoking in Public Places
How to Identify Fake Cigarettes
Are Herbal Cigarettes Dangerous?
- Cigarette Filters
- Keep America Beautiful. Executive Summary: Litter in America - 2009 National Litter Research Findings and Recommendations. Updated 2009.
- Keep America Beautiful. Litter in America: Key Findings: Cigarette Butt Litter. Updated January 2010.
- Joly FX, Coulis M. Comparison of cellulose vs. plastic cigarette filter decomposition under distinct disposal environments. Waste Manag. 2018;72:349-353. doi:10.1016/j.wasman.2017.11.023
- Araújo MCB, Costa MF. A critical review of the issue of cigarette butt pollution in coastal environments. Environ Res. 2019;172:137-149. doi:10.1016/j.envres.2019.02.005
- Pauly, JL, Mepani, AB, Lesses, JD, Cummings, KM, Streck, RJ. Cigarettes with defective filters marketed for 40 years: what Philip Morris never told smokers. Tobacco Control. 2002;11:i51-i61. doi:10.1136/tc.11.suppl_1.i51
- Register, KM. Cigarette Butts as Litter - Toxic as Well as Ugly. Clean Virginia Waterways. Updated 2000.
- Ahrens, M. Home Fires Started by Smoking. National Fire Protection Association. Updated January 2019.
- World Health Organization. Tobacco. Updated July 2019.
- World Health Organization. Western Pacific Region. Tobacco in China.
- Smith, EA, Novotny, TE. Whose butt is it? Tobacco industry research about smoker and cigarette butt waste. Tobacco Control. 2011;20(Suppl 1):i2-i8. doi:10.1136/tc.2010.040105
- Clean Virginia Waterways. Cigarette Filters. Cigarette Butt Litter.
- Clean Virginia Waterways. Cigarette Litter—Impacts. Cigarette Butt Litter.
- Hall JR. The Smoking-Material Fire Problem. National Fire Protection Association. Published July 2013.
- Keep America Beautiful. The Problem & Facts. Cigarette Litter Prevention Program.
Neal Litherland is an author, blogger and occasional ghostwriter. His experience includes comics, role playing games and a variety of other projects as well. He holds a bachelor's degree in criminal justice from Indiana University, and resides in Northwest Indiana.