What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
How to Firm Up Loose Stools
There are many reasons why one can experience loose stools. Diarrhea is the common term for soft, watery and frequent stool, and becomes chronic if it persists for more than four weeks 12. Most treatment for loose stool should be tailored to the specific cause, which can sometimes be ascertained by the nature of the stool itself. Chronic diarrhea can be a symptom of a more serious condition and should be checked by a medical professional 12.
Identify cause of loose stool (if possible). Ideal human stool is similar in color to cardboard and has the consistency of toothpaste. If stool is soft and floats, sticks to the side of the bowl or is difficult to flush, it is likely the result of excess levels of fat your diet. Stress and poor diet can also lead to loose stool that is softer than normal. Stool that is completely watery can be caused by a variety of conditions ranging from food poisoning to colitis.
The Best Food for Diarrhea
Avoid risky foods. If you're experiencing loose stools, avoid the types of foods you might eat if you were constipated. This means stay away from coffee, raw fruits and vegetables, whole grains, oleic fat, and greasy fried foods. Also don't drink milk, caffeine, alcohol or prune juice.
Eat absorbing, calming food. Rice or dry toast can help firm up loose stool by absorbing excess water in the digestive tract. Bananas can help calm an overactive stomach.
Benefiber Side Effects
Use probiotics. Consuming cultures of good bacteria, like the kinds contained in some yogurts and supplements, can help return your digestion to normal and firm up loose stool. 500 mg of Saccharomyces boulardii up to four times daily, or 3 billion colony-forming units of probiotic bacteria up to three times a day can help reduce or prevent loose stool.
Take medication carefully. Over-the-counter anti-diarrhea medication like Immodium or Pepto Bismol can firm up stool and reduce frequency 2. But, these should not be relied upon for extended periods of time or in the event of food poisoning. Diarrhea is a natural defense against food poisoning and treating it instead of the underlying cause can lead to complications 2.
Increasing your total consumption of dietary fiber is sometimes recommended for firming up stool. The idea is that increasing the solid bulk in the intestine will produce firmer stools. Psyllium husk is sometimes recommended in particular for this reason. The effectiveness of this technique, however, is not proven, and increasing fiber intake is usually used for treating constipation because it can increase the frequency of defecation.
The Best Food for Diarrhea
Benefiber Side Effects
How to Clean the Colon of Old Feces
Diet for Diarrhea With Bloating
Causes of Yellow Diarrhea
How to Stop Diarrhea with Household Items
Gluten-Free Diet for Ulcerative Colitis
Lifeway Kefir Nutrition
Caffeine Withdrawal & Diarrhea
Ice Cream & Constipation
- Chronic Diarrhea Treatment
- Gardner TB, Hill DR. Treatment of giardiasis. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2001;14(1):114-28. doi:10.1128/CMR.14.1.114-128.2001
- Tan CK, Chao CM, Lai CC. Green feces. QJM. 2013;106(3):287. doi:10.1093/qjmed/hcr271
- Levitt MD, Duane WC. Floating stools--flatus versus fat. N Engl J Med. 1972;286(18):973-5. doi:10.1056/NEJM197205042861804
- Andrews CN, Storr M. The pathophysiology of chronic constipation. Can J Gastroenterol. 2011;25 Suppl B:16B-21B.
- Oude munnink BB, Van der hoek L. Viruses Causing Gastroenteritis: The Known, The New and Those Beyond. Viruses. 2016;8(2). doi:10.3390/v8020042
- Hansson GC. Role of mucus layers in gut infection and inflammation. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2012;15(1):57-62. doi:10.1016/j.mib.2011.11.002
- Panda H, Andrews CN. Constipation in a 40-year-old woman. CMAJ. 2016;188(4):277-278. doi:10.1503/cmaj.150761
- Beckingham I J. Investigation of liver and biliary disease. BMJ. 2001 Jan 6; 322(7277): 33–36.
- Rose C, Parker A, Jefferson B, Cartmell E. The Characterization of Feces and Urine: A Review of the Literature to Inform Advanced Treatment Technology. Crit Rev Environ Sci Technol. 2015;45(17):1827-1879. doi:10.1080/10643389.2014.1000761
- Ferguson MA. Office evaluation of rectal bleeding. Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2005;18(4):249-54. doi:10.1055/s-2005-922847
- Kim BS, Li BT, Engel A, et al. Diagnosis of gastrointestinal bleeding: A practical guide for clinicians. World J Gastrointest Pathophysiol. 2014;5(4):467-78. doi:10.4291/wjgp.v5.i4.467
- Ip S, Sokoro AA, Buchel A, et al. Use of fecal occult blood test in hospitalized patients: survey of physicians practicing in a large central Canadian health region and Canadian gastroenterologists. Can J Gastroenterol. 2013 Dec;27(12):711-6.
- Increasing your total consumption of dietary fiber is sometimes recommended for firming up stool. The idea is that increasing the solid bulk in the intestine will produce firmer stools. Psyllium husk is sometimes recommended in particular for this reason. The effectiveness of this technique, however, is not proven, and increasing fiber intake is usually used for treating constipation because it can increase the frequency of defecation.
Joseph Nicholson is an independent analyst whose publishing achievements include a cover feature for "Futures Magazine" and a recurring column in the monthly newsletter of a private mint. He received a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Florida and is currently attending law school in San Francisco.