Can You Use Creams to Burn Belly Fat?
Fat loss isn't easy. It requires a dedicated diet and exercise plan and permanent habit changes. Because most people are accustomed to instant gratification, the idea of taking the time to burn off stubborn belly fat is unappealing. Manufacturers of supposed fat-loss supplements recognize this and target their markets with unsubstantiated weight loss claims for their products. Fat loss creams and other topical "fat-burners" are among the worst.
It Just Doesn't Work
The reason that topical fat loss creams don't burn belly fat is simple: Fat loss occurs from within the body by way of a calorie deficit. Your body must burn more calories than it consumes to create a deficit that results in weight loss, and every 3,500-calorie deficit will result in a 1-pound loss of fat. There is nothing you can apply to your skin that will cause your body to create this calorie deficit. Further, there is no way to spot-reduce and target belly fat. You cannot control the areas from which your body sheds fat first.
- The reason that topical fat loss creams don't burn belly fat is simple: Fat loss occurs from within the body by way of a calorie deficit.
- Your body must burn more calories than it consumes to create a deficit that results in weight loss, and every 3,500-calorie deficit will result in a 1-pound loss of fat.
Peanut Butter Sandwich Calories
How to Get Rid of Arm Fat Fast
How Many Calories Are Necessary Per Day to Lose 60 Pounds?
How to Lose 10 Pounds in Three Days
How to Get Rid of Upper Leg Cellulite
How Much Weight Can I Lose in 3 Weeks?
Does Taking CLA Help You Lose Belly Fat?
Can Milk Thistle Cause Skin Rashes?
Calories in a Slice of Whole-Grain Bread
How to Use a Wooden Massager on Cellulite
- Federal Trade Commission: Weighing the Claims in Diet Ads
- Strasser B, Spreitzer A, Haber P. Fat loss depends on energy deficit only, independently of the method for weight loss. Ann Nutr Metab. 2007;51(5):428-32. doi:10.1159/000111162
- Thomas DM, Gonzalez MC, Pereira AZ, Redman LM, Heymsfield SB. Time to correctly predict the amount of weight loss with dieting. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014;114(6):857-61. doi:10.1016/j.jand.2014.02.003
- Benton D, Young HA. Reducing Calorie Intake May Not Help You Lose Body Weight. Perspect Psychol Sci. 2017;12(5):703-714. doi:10.1177/1745691617690878
Jessica Bell has been working in the health and fitness industry since 2002. She has served as a personal trainer and group fitness instructor. Bell holds an M.A. in communications and a B.A. in English.