Can You Use Creams to Burn Belly Fat?
Fat loss isn't easy. It requires a dedicated diet and exercise plan and permanent habit changes. Because most people are accustomed to instant gratification, the idea of taking the time to burn off stubborn belly fat is unappealing. Manufacturers of supposed fat-loss supplements recognize this and target their markets with unsubstantiated weight loss claims for their products. Fat loss creams and other topical "fat-burners" are among the worst.
It Just Doesn't Work
The reason that topical fat loss creams don't burn belly fat is simple: Fat loss occurs from within the body by way of a calorie deficit. Your body must burn more calories than it consumes to create a deficit that results in weight loss, and every 3,500-calorie deficit will result in a 1-pound loss of fat. There is nothing you can apply to your skin that will cause your body to create this calorie deficit. Further, there is no way to spot-reduce and target belly fat. You cannot control the areas from which your body sheds fat first.
- The reason that topical fat loss creams don't burn belly fat is simple: Fat loss occurs from within the body by way of a calorie deficit.
- Your body must burn more calories than it consumes to create a deficit that results in weight loss, and every 3,500-calorie deficit will result in a 1-pound loss of fat.
Can You Lose Belly Fat in Five Days?
How to Get Rid of Upper Leg Cellulite
How to Lose 20 Pounds in 10 Days
Egg Protein Powder Vs. Whey Protein
How to Treat Ringworm That Won't Go Away
Exercises to Slim Hips, Thighs & Stomach
How Much Weight Can a Person Lose by Running Half a Mile Each Day?
How Many Calories Are Necessary Per Day to Lose 60 Pounds?
How to Lose 15 Pounds in One Month
Ways to Lose Inner Thigh Fat Fast
- Federal Trade Commission: Weighing the Claims in Diet Ads
- Strasser B, Spreitzer A, Haber P. Fat loss depends on energy deficit only, independently of the method for weight loss. Ann Nutr Metab. 2007;51(5):428-32. doi:10.1159/000111162
- Thomas DM, Gonzalez MC, Pereira AZ, Redman LM, Heymsfield SB. Time to correctly predict the amount of weight loss with dieting. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014;114(6):857-61. doi:10.1016/j.jand.2014.02.003
- Benton D, Young HA. Reducing Calorie Intake May Not Help You Lose Body Weight. Perspect Psychol Sci. 2017;12(5):703-714. doi:10.1177/1745691617690878
Jessica Bell has been working in the health and fitness industry since 2002. She has served as a personal trainer and group fitness instructor. Bell holds an M.A. in communications and a B.A. in English.