What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Although hula hoops have moved off the patio into group fitness classes, they are not a panacea when it comes to slimming your middle and getting rid of your love handles. Gyrating your hips to spin the hoop can help you burn calories, but it won't magically make those pesky love handles shrink. Spot reducing any body area is simply impossible.
Because spinning the hoop around your middle engages your hips, thighs and abdominals, you may feel like it must be doing something for your love handles. Though you are strengthening your core, this won't make the layer of fat making up your love handles disappear. Only a calorie deficit achieved by burning and eating fewer calories helps you lose fat. Even when you manage to lose fat, it may not immediately happen around your love handles.
- Because spinning the hoop around your middle engages your hips, thighs and abdominals, you may feel like it must be doing something for your love handles.
- Though you are strengthening your core, this won't make the layer of fat making up your love handles disappear.
A Calorie Burner
Glycerine Vs. Glycol
If you enjoy hula hooping, do it along with strength-training. Also, eat a low-calorie diet to help you whittle your whole frame. A hooping class that involves choreographed dance moves burns an average of 210 calories in 30 minutes, according to a 2011 study sponsored by the American Council on Exercise 1. You need a loss of 3,500 calories to lose a pound.
- If you enjoy hula hooping, do it along with strength-training.
Glycerine Vs. Glycol
The Best Love Handle & Hip Workout
Ashtanga Yoga & Weight Loss
Exercises to Slim Hips, Thighs & Stomach
Exercises to Flatten Your Tummy in Two Weeks
How Many Calories Do I Burn If I Paddle?
Do Squats & Crunches Help You Lose Weight?
Does the Stairmaster Help Reduce Cellulite?
How to Do Bicycles to Lose Belly Fat
Exercises for Belly Fat & Cellulite
- American Council on Exercise: ACE-Sponsored Research: Hooping—Effective Workout or Child’s Play?
- Timesunion.com: Hula Hoops Help Spin One's Body Into Shape
- Holthusen J, Porcari J, Foster C, Doberstein S. Anders M. Effective Hooping—Workout or Child’s Play? American Council on Exercise. 2011.
- Wu HW, Tsai CF, Liang KH, Chang YW. Effect of Loading Devices on Muscle Activation in Squat and Lunge. J Sport Rehabil. 2019;29(2):200-205. doi:10.1123/jsr.2018-0182
Andrea Boldt has been in the fitness industry for more than 20 years. A personal trainer, run coach, group fitness instructor and master yoga teacher, she also holds certifications in holistic and fitness nutrition.