Breast Cancer & Nipple Symptoms
Each year, approximately one in every ten women is diagnosed with breast cancer, according to MedlinePlus. This form of cancer arises when abnormal, cancerous cells rapidly replicate within the breast tissue. Breast cancer can cause unusual nipple changes or symptoms in certain people, which should be discussed with a medical professional if they occur.
Breast cancer can cause abnormal inversion of the nipple of the affected breast. People who develop this nipple symptom can notice that the nipple appears to pull inwards towards the body, rather than protruding away from the body, the National Cancer Institute reports.
Nipple Discoloration or Flaking
About Breast Dimpling
The skin across the nipple, also called the areola, can become abnormally discolored as a symptom of breast cancer. The affected nipple can appear red, irritated or dry and the skin can begin to flake, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explains. People with breast cancer can experience sensations of tenderness or warmth across the nipple of the affected breast. These sensations can be uncomfortable and are typically accompanied by additional symptoms that spread across the breast tissue.
- The skin across the nipple, also called the areola, can become abnormally discolored as a symptom of breast cancer.
- These sensations can be uncomfortable and are typically accompanied by additional symptoms that spread across the breast tissue.
Nipple discharge can be a symptom of breast cancer in certain people, the NCI reports. This fluid discharge may stain or discolor a person's t-shirt or clothing, especially if it contains blood. People should discuss the appearance of any unusual nipple discharge with a physician.
About Breast Dimpling
Complications of Cellulitis
Early Signs of Skin Cancer and Penile Cancer
Early Warning Signs of Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Female Kidney Stone Symptoms
What Are the Symptoms of Spleen Lymphoma?
Child Symptoms of Urethritis
Derma Filler Side Effects
Symptoms of an Infected Prostate
HIV & Stomach Symptoms
- MedlinePlus: X-Plain - Breast Cancer
- National Cancer Insitute: What You Need to Know About Breast Cancer - Symptoms
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Symptoms
- MayoClinic.com: Breast Cancer - Symptoms
- University of California San Francisco Medical Center: Breast Cancer - Signs and Symptoms
- Breastcancer.org. Symptoms and diagnosis. Updated October 19, 2018.
- American Cancer Society. Inflammatory breast cancer. Updated September 20, 2019.
- American Cancer Society. Types of breast cancer. Updated September 20, 2019.
- Vallely JJ, Hudson KE, Locke SC, et al. Pruritus in patients with solid tumors: an overlooked supportive care need. Support Care Cancer. 2019;27(10):3897-3904. doI:10.1007/s00520-019-04693-5
Rae Uddin has worked as a freelance writer and editor since 2004. She specializes in scientific journalism and medical and technical writing. Her work has appeared in various online publications. Uddin earned her Master of Science in integrated biomedical sciences with an emphasis in molecular and cellular biochemistry from the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.