What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Ballerina tea is a drink celebrated by dieters for its contribution to weight loss. The drink is an herbal tea formula that is claimed to be a healthful, natural beverage for dieters that promotes weight loss. It is also rumored to be a ballerina’s secret to maintaining a thin, lithe figure, which is the origin of its name, “ballerina tea.” Although the ballerina tea formula might help consumers lose weight, there are a few side effects that consumers should be aware of when purchasing this product.
Ballerina tea is a formula that contains herbal ingredients. On the surface, this sounds positive. However, according to the Office of Dietary Supplements, just because a product is botanically based does not necessarily mean that it is safe 2. The safety of an herb depends upon the dosage, preparation and several other factors. One component of ballerina tea is senna, which is the dried leaves or pods of the senna plant, which is a natural stimulant and laxative. Ballerina tea also contains Chinese mallow, an herbal diuretic and laxative. Both of these ingredients may aid in temporary weight loss. However, this tea contains no caffeine, which is seen as an advantage by many of its drinkers.
- Ballerina tea is a formula that contains herbal ingredients.
- One component of ballerina tea is senna, which is the dried leaves or pods of the senna plant, which is a natural stimulant and laxative.
Diarrhea Side Effect
Ballerina Tea & Weight Loss
Because this tea contains natural laxatives, it can cause diarrhea. This might be an undesirable side effect for some users. Both senna and Chinese mallow are natural laxatives, so the likelihood of this side effect occurring is increased with the amount of ballerina tea consumed. The more ballerina tea ingested, the more severe the diarrhea symptoms could be. According to the United States Food and Drug Administration, six cases of people who experienced diarrhea-related illnesses were traced to the consumption of herbal tea 1.
- Because this tea contains natural laxatives, it can cause diarrhea.
- Both senna and Chinese mallow are natural laxatives, so the likelihood of this side effect occurring is increased with the amount of ballerina tea consumed.
Once again, because ballerina tea contains a laxative, it can cause abdominal cramps. This can cause mild to severe discomfort, depending upon how much of the laxatives are consumed. Tea containing a higher concentration of ballerina tea formula is more likely to invoke this side effect.
Side Effects of Kankunis Tea
The senna contained in ballerina tea might cause purging. Although side effects of a more laxative nature are more common, the tea might cause vomiting in some drinkers. Common symptoms associated with this side effect include feelings of nausea, upset stomach and dizziness.
Blood Sugar Effects
If you are on medication to lower your blood sugar, you will want to avoid using Ballerina tea. The Chinese mallow in the tea can lower your blood sugar, according to the 2011 issue of the "Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology." Using Ballerina tea may enhance the effects of your medication, which may cause your blood sugar levels to go too low.
Warnings and Considerations
Ballerina tea might aid in weight loss. However, this tea does not contain any fat-burning ingredients. Therefore, none of the lost weight is fat, and it will likely be gained back quickly. Moreover, ingesting a stimulant and laxative such as senna or Chinese mallow on a regular basis can have harmful long-term side effects. Although laxatives contain cleansing properties, they should not be ingested regularly over an extended period of time. Ballerina tea is made from all-natural ingredients, but it shows no signs of aiding in permanent weight loss. USA.gov advises consumers to steer clear of laxatives and purging techniques to lose weight.
- Ballerina tea might aid in weight loss.
- Ballerina tea is made from all-natural ingredients, but it shows no signs of aiding in permanent weight loss.
Ballerina Tea & Weight Loss
Side Effects of Kankunis Tea
Spearmint Tea for Weight Loss
Side Effects of Caffeine Free Hydroxycut
Side Effects of Drinking Senna Pod Tea
Essiac Tea Side Effects
Side Effects of Super Dieter's Tea
Garcinia Cambogia Extract Side Effects
What Are the Health Benefits of Gohyah Tea?
The Side Effects of Echinacea Tea
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration: FDA Poisonous Plant Database
- National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements: Botanical Dietary Supplements
- Plants for a Future Database: Malva Verticillate -- Chinese Mallow
- Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology: Antidiabetic Activities of Extract from Malva verticillata Seed via the Activation of AMP-Activated Protein Kinase
- American Diabetes Association: Hypoglycemia -- Low Blood Sugar
- Senna. Medline Plus. The National Institutes of Health, National Library of Medicine.
- Chinese Mallow. Therapeutic Research Center. Natural Medicines Database.
- Senna. Therapeutic Research Center. Natural Medicines Database.
Kayla Lowe has been a freelance writer since 2008. She writes for various online publications and is also the author of the book "Maiden's Blush," a Christian-fiction romance novel. Lowe is pursuing a degree in elementary education.