What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Wheat grass is used to help reduce cholesterol, anemia, cancer, high blood pressure and ulcerative colitis, according to RxList.com. The herbal supplement is also known for containing high levels of antioxidants and for its anti-inflammatory properties. Wheat grass is administered in a pill supplement or by juicing. You should not take wheat grass for more than one month at a time, and its effectiveness for treating or preventing any medical condition has not been evaluated by the FDA. As with any supplement, consult with your doctor before using wheat grass, as allergies to it are common.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Wheat Grass Allergy
If you consume wheat grass in pill form or by drinking its juice, you may develop various symptoms that could be related to an allergic reaction. Some symptoms, such as nausea, constipation and loss of appetite, may be related to common side effects. If you are allergic to wheat grass, you will develop symptoms in different parts of your body within a few moments of consuming the supplement. This is caused by increased production of certain chemicals that fight off the suspected allergen.
- If you consume wheat grass in pill form or by drinking its juice, you may develop various symptoms that could be related to an allergic reaction.
Supplements That Cause a Skin Rash
Symptoms from an allergic reaction will affect your digestive system, skin, respiratory system and circulatory system. Your skin can become inflamed and break out into an allergic rash, such as eczema or hives. Your lungs and sinuses can become swollen, leading to congestion, shortness of breathe and wheezing. The circulatory system symptoms include lightheadedness, dizziness and mental confusion.
- Symptoms from an allergic reaction will affect your digestive system, skin, respiratory system and circulatory system.
- Your lungs and sinuses can become swollen, leading to congestion, shortness of breathe and wheezing.
If you’re allergic to grass pollen, you should not use wheat grass supplements. Grass pollen is a common pollen that causes allergic rhinitis, or hay fever. Pollen allergies will primarily cause symptoms to develop in the eyes, throat and nasal passages. Pollen allergy symptoms include: runny nose, postnasal drip, watery eyes, red eyes, itchy eyes, a scratchy throat, nasal congestion and sneezing.include:
- Pollen allergy symptoms include: runny nose
- postnasal drip
- watery eyes
- red eyes
- itchy eyes
- a scratchy throat
- nasal congestion
Stop using wheat grass if you develop these symptoms after taking the supplement.
- If you’re allergic to grass pollen, you should not use wheat grass supplements.
- Pollen allergy symptoms include: runny nose, postnasal drip, watery eyes, red eyes, itchy eyes, a scratchy throat, nasal congestion and sneezing.include: * Pollen allergy symptoms include: runny nose
* postnasal drip
* watery eyes
* red eyes
* itchy eyes
* a scratchy throat
* nasal congestion
* sneezing Stop using wheat grass if you develop these symptoms after taking the supplement.
My Fennel Allergy
In rare cases, an allergic reaction may cause a severe reaction called anaphylaxis 2. Any time you take a new supplement, even if it’s natural, you need to discuss it first with your doctor. If you notice that your lips, face or tongue are swollen, you develop hives and you cannot breathe normally, you need to call 911 for emergency attention. A severe allergic reaction can lead to death if not treated promptly 2.
Supplements That Cause a Skin Rash
My Fennel Allergy
Side Effects of Zymex
What Are Allergy Symptoms From Nutmeg?
Psyllium Husk Allergy
Lemongrass & Cancer
Adverse Reactions to Ingesting Olive Leaf Extract Capsules
An Allergy to Lemongrass
Signs & Symptoms of Wheat & Whole Grain Allergies
- RxLlist.com: Wheatgrass:
- MedlinePlus: Allergic Reactions: February 28, 2011
- American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. Mowing Down Your Grass Allergies.
- Sussman G, Sussman A, Sussman D. Oral Allergy Syndrome. CMAJ. 2010;182(11):1210-1211. doi:10.1503/cmaj.090314
- Di Bona D, Plaia A, Leto-Barone MS, La Piana S, Di Lorenzo G. Efficacy of Grass Pollen Allergen Sublingual Immunotherapy Tablets for Seasonal Allergic Rhinoconjunctivitis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Aug;175(8):1301-9.
Diane Marks started her writing career in 2010 and has been in health care administration for more than 30 years. She holds a registered nurse license from Citizens General Hospital School of Nursing, a Bachelor of Arts in health care education from California University of Pennsylvania and a Master of Science in health administration from the University of Pittsburgh.