Because weight loss is typically a long and difficult process, it can be tempting for dieters to purchase products that claim to shed pounds quickly, such as weight loss supplements. Bromelain is an ingredient sometimes used in these types of weight loss products. Because bromelain can cause serious complications, it is important for a dieter to understand its effectiveness and dangers before taking it.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
The University of Maryland Medical Center explains that bromelain is a combination of enzymes derived from the juice and stem of a pineapple 3. For general use, 80 mg to 320 mg are typically swallowed two or three times per day. Although there are claims that bromelain can be used to encourage weight loss, it is more commonly used to reduce inflammation and swelling after a surgical procedure or infection.
- The University of Maryland Medical Center explains that bromelain is a combination of enzymes derived from the juice and stem of a pineapple 3.
- Although there are claims that bromelain can be used to encourage weight loss, it is more commonly used to reduce inflammation and swelling after a surgical procedure or infection.
How do I Take Bromelain?
The Candaian based company Ananas Inc. marketed weight loss products containing bromelain claiming that dieters could lose as much as 20 pounds in just two weeks without the addition of dietary or physical activity changes. The company also claimed that six to eight bromelain tablets taken every day could attack fat in the thighs, stomach, buttocks, hips and calves. The fat accumulations would then drain from the body, reducing its size.
Dr. Stephen Barrett of the Quackwatch website warns that there is no scientific evidence that proves bromelain can encourage weight loss. In fact, in 1995 the Pennsylvania Attorney General fined Ananas Inc., stating that all of its claims regarding bromelain were false and misleading. There is no proof that bromelain can be absorbed into the blood stream or attack fat. In addition, Dr. Barrett states that there is no over-the-counter product that can produce a reduction in weight without cutting back the amount of daily calories ingested.
- Dr. Stephen Barrett of the Quackwatch website warns that there is no scientific evidence that proves bromelain can encourage weight loss.
- In addition, Dr. Barrett states that there is no over-the-counter product that can produce a reduction in weight without cutting back the amount of daily calories ingested.
Side Effects of Bioflavonoid Quercetin & Bromelain
The American Cancer Society explains that bromelain can cause side effects 1. Patients can experience vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and an increase in menstrual bleeding. The risks of bleeding can be increased if bromelain is taken with medications that thin the blood or aspirin. In addition, bromelain should not be mixed with other herbal supplements such as meadowsweet, feverfew, ginger, clove, chamomile or aniseed. This combination can slow down the body’s ability to clot blood.
- The American Cancer Society explains that bromelain can cause side effects 1.
- The risks of bleeding can be increased if bromelain is taken with medications that thin the blood or aspirin.
Because of the seriousness of the side effects, the University of Maryland Medical Center warns that bromelain should only be taken with the permission and supervision of a doctor 3. It should not be taken for more than 10 days in a row. Because asthma-like symptoms can develop, people who are allergic to pineapples should not take bromelain; neither should pregnant women, people with liver or kidney disease, high blood pressure or bleeding disorders.
- Because of the seriousness of the side effects, the University of Maryland Medical Center warns that bromelain should only be taken with the permission and supervision of a doctor 3.
How do I Take Bromelain?
Side Effects of Bioflavonoid Quercetin & Bromelain
Foods High in Bromelain
Bromelain and Blood Pressure
Pineapple Allergy & Bromelain
What Fruits Contain Protease Enzymes?
What Are the Benefits of XanGo Juice?
Does Pure Psyllium Husk Interfere With Warfarin?
Is Fresh Pineapple Good for the Sinuses?
What Is Tylex 750?
- American Cancer Society: Bromelain
- QuackWatch: Bromeline "Diet Pills"
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Bromelain
- Ameye LG, Chee WS. Osteoarthritis and nutrition. From nutraceuticals to functional foods: a systematic review of the scientific evidence. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006;8(4): R127.
- Baez R, Lopes MT, Salas CE, Hernandez M. In vivo antitumoral activity of stem pineapple (Ananas comosus) bromelain. Planta Med. 2007 Oct;73(13):1377-83.
- Braun JM, Schneider B, Beuth HJ. Therapeutic use, efficiency and safety of the proteolytic pineapple enzyme Bromelain-POS in children with acute sinusitis in Germany. In Vivo. 2005;19:417–421.
- Brien S, Lewith G, Walker A, Hicks SM, Middleton D. Bromelain as a Treatment for Osteoarthritis: a Review of Clinical Studies. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2004 Dec;1(3):251-257.
- Brien S1, Lewith G, Walker AF, Middleton R, Prescott P, Bundy R. Bromelain as an adjunctive treatment for moderate-to-severe osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized placebo-controlled pilot study. QJM. 2006 Dec;99(12):841-50.
- Buttner L, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of bromelain in patients with chronic rhinosinusitis—a pilot study. B-ENT. 2013;9(3):217-25.
- Chobotova K1, Vernallis AB, Majid FA. Bromelain's activity and potential as an anti-cancer agent: Current evidence and perspectives. Cancer Lett. 2010 Apr 28;290(2):148-56.
- Dhandayuthapani S1, Perez HD, Paroulek A, Chinnakkannu P, Kandalam U, Jaffe M, Rathinavelu A. Bromelain-induced apoptosis in GI-101A breast cancer cells. J Med Food. 2012 Apr;15(4):344-9.
- Guo R, Canter PH, Ernst E. Herbal medicines for the treatment of rhinosinusitis: a systematic review. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006 Oct;135(4):496-506.
- Hale LP1, Greer PK, Trinh CT, Gottfried MR. Treatment with oral bromelain decreases colonic inflammation in the IL-10-deficient murine model of inflammatory bowel disease. Clin Immunol. 2005 Aug;116(2):135-42.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Bromelain.
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Bromelain.
- Onken JE, Greer PK, Calingart B, Hale LP. Bromelain treatment decreases secretion of pro-inflammatory cytokines and chemokines by colon biopsies in vitro. Clin Immunol. 2008 Mar;126(3):345-52. Epub 2007 Dec 21.
- Pavan R1, Jain S, Shraddha, Kumar A. Properties and therapeutic application of bromelain: a review. Biotechnol Res Int. 2012;2012:976203.
- Rathnavelu Vidhya, et al. Potential role of bromelain in clinical and therapeutic applications. Biomed Rep. 2016 Sep; 5(3): 283–288.
- Rosenberg L, Shoham Y, Krieger Y, et al. Minimally invasive burn care: a review of seven clinical studies of rapid and selective debridement using a bromelain-based debriding enzyme (Nexobrid). Ann Burns Fire Disasters. 2015 Dec 31;28(4):264-274.
- Ryan RE. A double-blind clinical evaluation of bromelains in the treatment of acute sinusitis. Headache. 1967;7:13-17.
- Secor ER Jr1, Shah SJ, Guernsey LA, Schramm CM, Thrall RS. Bromelain limits airway inflammation in an ovalbumin-induced murine model of established asthma. Altern Ther Health Med. 2012 Sep-Oct;18(5):9-17.
- Tejpal Singh, Vinayak More, Umayra Fatima, Tanveer Karpe, Mohammed A. Aleem, J. Prameela. Effect of proteolytic enzyme bromelain on pain and swelling after removal of third molars. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2016 Dec; 6(Suppl 3): S197–S204.
- Walker AF1, Bundy R, Hicks SM, Middleton RW. Bromelain reduces mild acute knee pain and improves well-being in a dose-dependent fashion in an open study of otherwise healthy adults. Phytomedicine. 2002 Dec;9(8):681-6.
Rose Erickson has been a professional writer since 2010. She specializes in fitness, parenting, beauty, health, nutrition and saving money, and writes for several online publications including The Krazy Coupon Lady. She is also a novelist and a mother of three.