What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Nail fungus on the toenails occurs when fungi invade one or more of your nails, according to the website Mayo Clinic. Infections may be painful and likely to recur. Using natural products, such as emu oil, may help prevent fungal infections by keeping your toenails and skin healthy and free of cuts. Fungi tend to enter the skin through tiny cuts or via small skin separations. There is not enough medical evidence to conclude that emu oil is safe or effective in treating toenail fungus.
If you have a toenail fungal infection, your nails may turn yellow, thicken, crumble and even smell. The infection may start off as a small white or yellow dot on the nail that grows as the infection deepens.
Your toenail may also appear dull and dark in color. It may even separate from the nail bed. Fungal infections are likely to persist until treated.
- If you have a toenail fungal infection, your nails may turn yellow, thicken, crumble and even smell.
- Your toenail may also appear dull and dark in color.
Infected Toe Treatment
Emu oil has many healing properties, including the healthy skin promoting omega 3-, 6- and 9 fatty acids. Emu oil penetrates your skin easily and deeply; repairing it and allowing deeper penetration of prescription medications.
Emu oil features antifungal properties that combat many ailments, including toenail fungus, according to Emu Oil Info, an online health and wellness information site.
On its own, there is not much evidence that emu oil can treat fungal infections. It is a good carrier agent though, and Emu Oil Info recommends using emu oil mixed with tea tree oil to treat your toenail fungus 1. The emu oil helps tea tree oil to absorb deeply into the skin.
- Emu oil features antifungal properties that combat many ailments, including toenail fungus, according to Emu Oil Info, an online health and wellness information site.
- It is a good carrier agent though, and Emu Oil Info recommends using emu oil mixed with tea tree oil to treat your toenail fungus 1.
Herbs for Toenail Fungus
Toenail infections can be painful and are usually embarrassing. Treating them may not be easy and you may have to use prescription medications. These prescription medications also have side effects. If using emu oil is successful in treating your toenail fungus, you can avoid using prescription medications and their side effects.
- Toenail infections can be painful and are usually embarrassing.
- If using emu oil is successful in treating your toenail fungus, you can avoid using prescription medications and their side effects.
You should not ignore medications that have a proven efficacy by relying too heavily on emu oil, according to biochemist, Robert Nicolosi, at the University of Massachusetts – Lowell. Not using a prescription medication that works well for you in favor of emu oil can delay healing and even worsen a persistent fungal infection.
Avoid using emu oil during pregnancy and lactation as safety of using emu oil has not yet been established.
Not treating your toenail fungal infection may lead to permanent nail damage and result in more serious infections that can spread through your body, indicates the Mayo Clinic.
There have been no known side effects reports from using emu oil.
Infected Toe Treatment
Herbs for Toenail Fungus
Neem Oil for Nasal Fungus
How to Heal a Damaged Cuticle
DMSO for Nail Fungus
Neem Oil & Nail Fungus
How to Use Baking Soda to Treat Toenail Fungus
What are the Benefits of Jojoba Oil & Vitamin E for Fingernails?
Essential Oils for Warts
The Side Effects of Geranium Oil
- Medical News Today: New University-Based Study Recommends All-Natural Emu Oil To Reduce The Appearance Of Scars From Surgery
- Merck Manual Consumer Version. Onychomycosis. Updated August 2017.
- Blutfield MS, Lohre JM, Pawich DA, Vlahovic TC. The immunologic response to Trichophyton rubrum in lower extremity fungal infections. J Fungi (Basel). 2015;1(2):130–137. doi:10.3390/jof1020130
- Ghannoum M, Isham N. Fungal nail infections (onychomycosis): A never-ending story?. PLoS Pathog. 2014;10(6):e1004105. doi:10.1371/journal.ppat.1004105
- Zang K, Sullivan R, Shanks S. A retrospective study of non-thermal laser therapy for the treatment of toenail onychomycosis. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2017;10(5):24-30.
- Park KY, Suh JH, Kim BJ, Kim MN, Hong CK. Randomized clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy and safety of combination therapy with short-pulsed 1,064-nm neodymium-doped yttrium aluminium garnet laser and amorolfine nail lacquer for onychomycosis. Ann Dermatol. 2017;29(6):699-705. doi:10.5021/ad.2017.29.6.699
- Shirwaikar AA, Thomas T, Shirwaikar A, Lobo R, Prabhu KS. Treatment of onychomycosis: An update. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2008 Nov-Dec; 70(6): 710–714. doi:10.4103/0250-474X.49088
Tamara Laschinsky began writing articles in 2008 to supplement her knowledge of alternative health and wellness practices. Her articles have been re-published on various websites and requested by readers across the globe. She holds a degree in business administration from Red River College.