What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Nail fungus can occur in the finger nails or toe nails 1. It can be irritating and unsightly, but is relatively easy to cure. Neem oil, the essential oil extracted from the neem tree, is often recommended as a treatment for nail fungus.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
The Mayo Clinic, described fungi as microscopic organism that are able to survive without sunlight. The fungi that infect the nail bed of your toes and fingers are called dermatophytes 1. This type of fungi thrives in warm, damp environments and most often infect the toe nails for this reason. Dermatophytes live in showers and swimming pools and can enter your skin through tiny cuts or by getting under your nail.
- The Mayo Clinic, described fungi as microscopic organism that are able to survive without sunlight.
- Dermatophytes live in showers and swimming pools and can enter your skin through tiny cuts or by getting under your nail.
Nail Fungus Signs and Symptoms
Herbs for Toenail Fungus
Nail fungus can occur on the finger or toenails. According to the Mayo Clinic, it is caused when fungi infects the bed of one or more of your nails. The fungus may begin as a small white spot at the edge of your nail 1. As it grows, it can cause more discoloration a thickening and crumbling of the nail. The nail bed can become very sore and if left untreated the nail may fall off.
- Nail fungus can occur on the finger or toenails.
- As it grows, it can cause more discoloration a thickening and crumbling of the nail.
Neem oil is an essential oil derived from the neem tree. The tree is native to India and is related to the mahogany. According to the Neem Foundation, neem oil contains a number of active constituents with medicinal uses including: fever, cough, loss of appetite, skin disorders, diabetes and healing wounds.
Neem Oil and Nail Fungus
Neem Oil for Nasal Fungus
According to Toe Nail Fungus Info, medical practitioners in India have been using neem oil for decades to treat more than 60 different types of fungus, including nail fungus. Neem is applied to the affected area several times each day until the infection has cleared.
According to the University of Michigan Health System, neem oil should be kept out of the reach of children due to the risk of Reye's syndrome-like symptoms and possible fatality if consumed. Neem should be avoided during pregnancy and breast feeding as there have not been any studies conducted to prove its safety. There are currently no-known drug contraindications with neem. You should consult your physician before using neem oil. Neem oil has a strong and unpleasant odor.
- According to the University of Michigan Health System, neem oil should be kept out of the reach of children due to the risk of Reye's syndrome-like symptoms and possible fatality if consumed.
Herbs for Toenail Fungus
Neem Oil for Nasal Fungus
What Does Fungus on the Bottom of Feet Look Like?
Infected Toe Treatment
How to Kill Toe Nail Fungus
Emu Oil Remedy for Toenail Fungus
Does Bleach Pen Cure Toenail Fungus?
What Are Symptoms of Fungus Under the Toenail?
Vick Vapor Rub Cure for Nail Fungus
How to Use Ginger Topically For Fat Burning
- Toe Nail Fungus Info: Don't Let NAil FUngus Get the Best of Your Digits
- Shirwaikar AA, Thomas T, Shirwaikar A, Lobo R, Prabhu KS. Treatment of onychomycosis: an update. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2008;70(6):710-4. doi:10.4103/0250-474X.49088
- Syed TA, Qureshi ZA, Ali SM, Ahmad S, Ahmad SA. Treatment of toenail onychomycosis with 2% butenafine and 5% Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil in cream. Trop Med Int Health. 1999 Apr;4(4):284-7. doi:10.1046/j.1365-3156.1999.00396.x
- Buck DS, Nidorf DM, Addino JG. Comparison of two topical preparations for the treatment of onychomycosis: Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil and clotrimazole. J Fam Pract. 1994 Jun;38(6):601-5.
- Chee HY, Lee MH. Antifungal activity of clove essential oil and its volatile vapour against dermatophytic fungi. Mycobiology. 2007;35(4):241-3. doi:10.4489/MYCO.2007.35.4.241
- Gayoso CW, Lima EO, Oliveira VT, Pereira FO, Souza EL, Lima IO, Navarro DF. Sensitivity of fungi isolated from onychomycosis to Eugenia cariophyllata essential oil and eugenol. Fitoterapia. 2005 Mar;76(2):247-9. doi:10.1016/j.fitote.2004.12.005
- National Institutes of Health. "Fungal nail infection: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia". June 2011.
Corinna Underwood began writing in 2000. She has been published in many outlets, including Fox News, “Ultimate Athlete,” “Hardcore Muscle,” “Alternative Medicine” and “Alive.” Underwood also wrote "Haunted History of Atlanta and North Georgia" and "Murder and Mystery in Atlanta." She has a Bachelor of Arts in English literature and philosophy and a Master of Arts in women’s studies from Staffordshire University.