The Side Effects of Geranium Oil
Geranium essential oil has been in use for centuries as an herbal remedy for the symptoms of menstruation and menopause. Geraniums contain terpines, which are a natural substance that bugs do not like, so it is also used as a natural insect repellent. Reports of geranium side effects are very rare and not well documented. Most experts caution against using geranium oil if you are pregnant or nursing, when it is always best to be cautious.
Geranium oil is considered to be non-irritating, but, according to the experts at aworldofaromatherapy.com and naturalhealingguide.com, people with very sensitive skin have reported some problems with pure geranium oil. Do a small test patch before using it on a larger area.
Oil Pulling for Weight Loss
Geranium is a natural diuretic. That means that it helps the body to eliminate excess water. If you are taking geranium oil internally, do not combine it with any other natural diuretic such as green tea, and make sure that you drink a minimum of 32 ounces of water per day.
Geranium oil is believed to soothe the stomach, bowels and intestines, helping to stop cramping. During pregnancy, the uterus naturally contracts and expands as it grows to accommodate the fetus. While there is no scientific data to support the idea that the antispasmodic effects of geranium oil could pose a serious risk during pregnancy, it is always best to be safe and simply avoid using geranium oil while you are pregnant.
Oil Pulling for Weight Loss
Jojoba Oil During Pregnancy
What Is the Difference Between Virgin & Extra Virgin Coconut Oil?
Karanja Oil Compared to Neem Oil
How to Clear Up Ingrown Hairs
How Much Oil Should You Eat?
What Are the Benefits of Groundnut Oil?
How to Apply Bio-Oil
Is It Possible to Tighten the Skin With Mustard Oil?
Eucalyptus Oil for an Ear Infection
- A World of Aromatherapy: Essential Oils Guide - Geranium
- Yoga Wiz: Essential Oil Geranium
- Natural Healing Guide: Geranium Oil
- Indobase: Geranium Oil
- Spavelous: Essential Oils to Avoid During Pregnancy
- Ali, B, Al-Wbael, N, Shams, S, Ahamad, A, Khan, SA, Anwar, F. Essential oils used in aromatherapy: a systemic review. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 2015;5(8): 601-611. doi:10.1016/j.apjtb.2015.05.007
- Ghannadi A, Bagherinejad M, Abedi D, Jalali M, Absalan B, Sadeghi N. Antibacterial activity and composition of essential oils from Pelargonium graveolens L'Her and Vitex agnus-castus L. Iran J Microbiol. 2012;4(4):171-6.
- Boukhris M, Bouaziz M, Feki I, Jemai H, El feki A, Sayadi S. Hypoglycemic and antioxidant effects of leaf essential oil of Pelargonium graveolens L'Hér. in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Lipids Health Dis. 2012;11:81. doi:10.1186/1476-511X-11-81
- Greenway FL, Frome BM, Engels TM, McLellan A. Temporary relief of postherpetic neuralgia pain with topical geranium oil. The American Journal of Medicine. 2003 Nov 1;115(7):586-587.
Emmy-award nominated screenwriter Brynne Chandler is a single mother of three who divides her time between professional research and varied cooking, fitness and home & gardening enterprises. A running enthusiast who regularly participates in San Francisco's Bay to Breakers run, Chandler works as an independent caterer, preparing healthy, nutritious meals for Phoenix area residents.