What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Testosterone levels naturally begin to drop after the age of 30, according to MayoClinic.com 4. While many men do not notice any effects from the decline in this male sex hormone, others may experience emotional changes, sleep problems and difficulties with sexual functioning. AndroGel is a prescription medicine that is effective in treating low testosterone levels, but certain natural alternatives may also help.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Pine and its pollen contain more phytoandrogens than just about any other plant on the planet, notes Stephen Buhner claims in his book "The Natural Testosterone Plan for Sexual Health and Energy." Phytoandrogens are compounds produced in plants that mimic the effects of androgen, the class of male hormones to which testosterone belongs 2. Pine pollen has served as a health restorative in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries. Buhner writes that in addition to its androgen-replacing qualities, pine pollen can help maintain the immune system, promote liver regeneration, and regulate the endocrine system. Few scientific studies have been performed in humans on pine pollen, so speak to a health care professional before using them.
- Pine and its pollen contain more phytoandrogens than just about any other plant on the planet, notes Stephen Buhner claims in his book "The Natural Testosterone Plan for Sexual Health and Energy."
Damiana Tea for Fertility
Puncture vine, or Tribulus terrestris, is a flowering plant sometimes known as "goathead." Gardeners and ranchers consider it to be a noxious weed because of its sharp seed burs that can puncture through materials like bicycle tires and sneakers. Used as a medicinal herb in both traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic healing traditions, it has been used for urinary tract infections, vitiligo, eye infections, as an energizer and as a sexual stimulant. Animal studies suggest that puncture vine stimulates androgen receptors in the brain. According to a study published in 2003 in the "Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine," puncture vine enhanced sexual behavior in rats 3. This led the authors to conclude that the claims that puncture vine can enhance male sexual activity may have merit. However, more research is needed before puncture vine can be widely recommended.
- Puncture vine, or Tribulus terrestris, is a flowering plant sometimes known as "goathead."
- Gardeners and ranchers consider it to be a noxious weed because of its sharp seed burs that can puncture through materials like bicycle tires and sneakers.
Tongkat ali is a small tree that is native to the forests of Malaysia, Indonesia and other parts of Southeast Asia. A remedy made from its roots and barks has been traditionally used to treat ulcers, headaches, and malaria. It has also been used to enhance sexual health in men. In a study reported in November 2009 in the "Journal of Ethnopharmacology," sexually sluggish rats given tongkat ali for 10 days had higher testosterone levels and enhanced sexual performance compared with a control group that did not receive the herb 12. More studies are necessary to see if it is therapeutically equivalent to AndroGel.
- Tongkat ali is a small tree that is native to the forests of Malaysia, Indonesia and other parts of Southeast Asia.
- A remedy made from its roots and barks has been traditionally used to treat ulcers, headaches, and malaria.
Damiana Tea for Fertility
Are There Herbs That Improve Male Libido?
The Side Effects of Agnus Castus
Nutritional Benefits of Flower Pollen
Ashwagandha Liver Side Effects Contraindications
Side Effects of Mulberry Zuccarin
Herbs to Grow Muscle Mass
What Is Noni Seed Oil Good For?
Natural Alternatives to Larazapam
Is Vitex Safe in Pregnancy?
- "Journal of Ethnopharmacology"; Influence of Eurycoma Longifolia on the Copulatory Activity of Sexually Sluggish and Impotent Male Rats; P. Zanoli et al; November 2009
- The Natural Testosterone Plan: For Sexual Health and Energy
- "Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine"; Sexual Effects of Puncturevine (Tribulus terrestris) Extract (Protodioscin): An Evaluation Using a Rat Model; K. Gauthaman et al; 2003
- MayoClinic.com: Men's Health: Testosterone Therapy: Key to Male Vitality?
- Udani JK, George AA, Musthapa M, Pakdaman MN, Abas A. Effects of a Proprietary Freeze-Dried Water Extract of Eurycoma longifolia (Physta) and Polygonum minus on Sexual Performance and Well-Being in Men: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014;2014:179529. doi:10.1155/2014/179529
- Thirumalai A, Berkseth KE, Amory JK. Treatment of hypogonadism: Current and future therapies. F1000Res. 2017;6:68. doi:10.12688/f1000research.10102.1
- Talbott SM, Talbott JA, George A, Pugh M. Effect of Tongkat Ali on stress hormones and psychological mood state in moderately stressed subjects. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2013;10(1):28. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-10-28
- Khanijo T, Jiraungkoorskul W. Review Ergogenic Effect of Long Jack, Eurycoma Longifolia. Pharmacogn Rev. 2016;10(20):139-142. doi:10.4103/0973-7847.194041
- Hamzah S, Yusof A. The ergogenic effects of Eurycoma longifolia Jack: A pilot study. Br J Sports Med. 2003;37:464-470.
- Ismail SB, Wan Mohammad WM, George A, Nik Hussain NH, Musthapa Kamal ZM, Liske E. Randomized Clinical Trial on the Use of PHYSTA Freeze-Dried Water Extract of Eurycoma longifolia for the Improvement of Quality of Life and Sexual Well-Being in Men. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:429268. doi:10.1155/2012/429268
- Henkel RR, Wang R, Bassett SH, et al. Tongkat Ali as a Potential Herbal Supplement for Physically Active Male and Female Seniors—A Pilot Study. Phytother Res. 2014;28(4):544-550. doi:10.1002/ptr.5017
- Girish S, Kumar S, Aminudin N. Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma longifolia): A possible therapeutic candidate against Blastocystis sp. Parasit Vectors. 2015;8:332. doi:10.1186/s13071-015-0942-y
- Rehman SU, Choe K, Yoo HH. Review on a Traditional Herbal Medicine, Eurycoma longifolia Jack (Tongkat Ali): Its Traditional Uses, Chemistry, Evidence-Based Pharmacology and Toxicology. Molecules. 2016;21(3):331. doi:10.3390/molecules21030331
- Ulbricht C, Conquer J, Flanagan K, Isaac R, Erica Rusie E, Windsor RC. An Evidence-Based Systematic Review of Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma longifolia) by the Natural Standard Research Collaboration. J Diet Suppl. 2013;10(1):54-83. doi:10.3109/19390211.2012.761467
Cindy Ell began writing professionally in 1990. A former medical librarian, she has written materials for hospitals, medical associations, the "Nashville Scene" and "Coping Magazine." She received her Bachelor of Arts in linguistics from the University of Massachusetts and her Master of Library and Information Science from Pratt Institute. She is currently a full-time freelance medical writer.