A red, itchy scalp is not only annoying, it can also be flaky, painful and sore. According to MayoClinic.com, a red, itchy scalp is most commonly the result of two distinct scalp conditions 5. Seborrheic dermatitis and scalp psoriasis are often difficult to differentiate, as they are two disorders that share many similar symptoms 14.
Scalp psoriasis is a relatively common skin disorder. According to the National Psoriasis Foundation, half of all people who suffer from psoriasis have it mainly on their scalps 2. The symptoms can vary from person to person, although most people experience red patches that develop into itchy, white scales that resemble dandruff and that can become sore or bleed if you remove them or scratch them open.
Seborrheic dermatitis shares many of the symptoms of scalp psoriasis, such as red skin, scaling, itching and soreness 14. However, unlike scalp psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis usually causes oily, greasy patches, instead of the dry, flaky patches 15. According to MayoClinic.com, the patches of seborrheic dermatitis can develop into yellow or white scales that often form a crust 145. The itching from seborrheic dermatitis may be severe at times 4.
- Scalp psoriasis is a relatively common skin disorder.
- Seborrheic dermatitis shares many of the symptoms of scalp psoriasis, such as red skin, scaling, itching and soreness 1.
How to Get Rid of White Spots on the Scalp
Scalp psoriasis is caused by a malfunctioning trigger in the immune system that causes your body's T-cells, which normally fight infections, to attack healthy cells. This inevitably causes an increased turnover of dead skin cells, resulting in the scales and plaques. Hereditary factors are believed to play a role, according to MayoClinic.co 5m
Seborrheic dermatitis is also caused by hereditary factors, although environmental factors may also play a part, according to MayoClinic.com 145. It occurs more frequently among people with oily hair.
- Scalp psoriasis is caused by a malfunctioning trigger in the immune system that causes your body's T-cells, which normally fight infections, to attack healthy cells.
- This inevitably causes an increased turnover of dead skin cells, resulting in the scales and plaques.
Prescription and Over-the-Counter Treatments
If you suffer from scalp psoriasis, your doctor may recommend a variety of treatments to help manage and alleviate your condition 3. According to MayoClinic.com, over-the-counter shampoos containing coal tar or topical creams or lotions containing salicylic acid or corticosteroids are generally effective for treating mild cases of scalp psoriasis 135. If your condition is severe, your doctor may also prescribe several medications, including topical anthralin, which helps to remove the scales or topical retinoids to decrease inflammation.
Seborrheic dermatitis is generally treated with medicated shampoos containing specific ingredients. According to MayoClinic.com, the most beneficial ingredients for treating seborrheic dermatitis include ketoconazole, tar, selenium sulfide and salicylic acid 145. If your condition doesn't respond to medicated shampoos, you may need to consult a dermatologist to obtain a stronger medicated shampoo or steroid lotions.
- If you suffer from scalp psoriasis, your doctor may recommend a variety of treatments to help manage and alleviate your condition 3.
- If your condition doesn't respond to medicated shampoos, you may need to consult a dermatologist to obtain a stronger medicated shampoo or steroid lotions.
Chia Seed for Psoriasis
In some cases, your doctor may also recommend a form of treatment known as light therapy, in which you expose your skin regularly to UVA and UVB light. This technique can be used on patients who suffer from both scalp psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis, according to MayoClinic.com 134. It is performed using lasers or other forms of artificial light. You can also expose your head to natural sunlight, but you should consult your doctor first. Prolonged exposure to sunlight can actually aggravate scalp psoriasis.
- In some cases, your doctor may also recommend a form of treatment known as light therapy, in which you expose your skin regularly to UVA and UVB light.
If your scalp is bleeding, painful, inflamed or irritated, consult a dermatologist or your doctor as soon as possible, especially if you've never been diagnosed previously with scalp psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis 1.
How to Get Rid of White Spots on the Scalp
Chia Seed for Psoriasis
Light Brown Flaky Discoloration on the Skin
Causes of Red, Painful Bumps on the Scalp
Salicylic Acid for Dandruff
How to Treat Ingrown Hairs on the Scalp
What Are the Causes of Inflamed Scalp?
Bumps on the Head After Shaving
Solutions for an Extremely Itchy, Flaky Scalp
Can Vaseline Be Used for Dry Scalp?
- MayoClinic.com: Scalp Psoriasis vs. Seborrheic Dermatitis
- National Psoriasis Foundation: Scalp Psoriasis
- MayoClinic.com: Psoriasis: Treatments and Drugs
- MayoClinic.com: Seborrheic Dermatitis: Treatments and Drugs
- MayoClinic.com: Dermatitis: Causes
- Tucker D, Masood S. Seborrheic dermatitis. In: StatPearls Publishing. Updated December 28, 2019.
- Borda LJ, Wikramanayake TC. Seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff: A comprehensive review. J Clin Investig Dermatol. 2015;3(2):10.13188/2373-1044.1000019. doi:10.13188/2373-1044.1000019
- Thayikkannu AB, Kindo AJ, Veeraraghavan M. Malassezia—Can it be ignored?. Indian J Dermatol. 2015;60(4):332-9. doi:10.4103/0019-5154.160475
- Tamer F, Yuksel ME, Sarifakioglu E, Karabag Y. Staphylococcus aureus is the most common bacterial agent of the skin flora of patients with seborrheic dermatitis. Dermatol Pract Concept. 2018 Apr;8(2):80-4. doi:10.5826/dpc.0802a04
- Karakadze MA, Hirt PA, Wikramanayake TC. The genetic basis of seborrhoeic dermatitis: a review. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2018;32(4):529-36. doi:10.1111/jdv.14704
- Motswaledi MH, Visser W. The spectrum of HIV-associated infective and inflammatory dermatoses in pigmented skin. Dermatol Clin. 2014;32:211-25. doi:10.1016/j.det.2013.12.006
- Savoia P, Cavaliere G, Zavattaro E, Veronese F, Fava P. Inflammatory cutaneous diseases in renal transplant recipients. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17(8):1362. doi:10.3390/ijms17081362
- Clark GW, Pope SM, Jaboori KA. Diagnosis and treatment of seborrheic dermatitis. Am Fam Physician. 2015 Feb 1;91(3):185-90.
- McLoone P, Warnock M, Fyfe L. Honey: A realistic antimicrobial for disorders of the skin. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2016 Apr;49(2):161-7. doi:10.1016/j.jmii.2015.01.009
- Takagi Y, Ning X, Takahashi A, et al. The efficacy of a pseudo-ceramide and eucalyptus extract containing lotion on dry scalp skin. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2018;11:141-8. doi:10.2147/CCID.S158428
- Dobler D, Schmidts T, Wildenhain S, Seewald I, Merzhäuser M, Runkel F. Impact of selected cosmetic ingredients on common microorganisms on healthy human skin. Cosmetics. 2019;6(45):1-13. doi:10.3390/cosmetics6030045
- National Psoriasis Foundation. What's tops in topical steroid treatments?. Updated August 14, 2019.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA approves updated labeling with boxed warning and medication guide for two eczema drugs, Elidel and Protopic. January 19, 2006.
- De Souza Leão Kamamoto C, Sanudo A, Hassun KM, Bagatin E. Low-dose oral isotretinoin for moderate to severe seborrhea and seborrheic dermatitis: a randomized comparative trial. Int J Dermatol. 2017;56(1):80-5. doi:10.1111/ijd.13408
- Altman K, Vanness E, Westergaard RP. Cutaneous manifestations of human immunodeficiency virus: a clinical update. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2015;17(3):464. doi:10.1007/s11908-015-0464-y
- Suárez AL, Feramisco JD, Koo J, Steinhoff M. Psychoneuroimmunology of psychological stress and atopic dermatitis: Pathophysiologic and therapeutic updates. Acta Derm Venereol. 2012;92(1):7–15. doi:10.2340/00015555-1188
Ashley Miller is a licensed social worker, psychotherapist, certified Reiki practitioner, yoga enthusiast and aromatherapist. She has also worked as an employee assistance program counselor and a substance-abuse professional. Miller holds a Master of Social Work and has extensive training in mental health diagnosis, as well as child and adolescent psychotherapy. She also has a bachelor's degree in music.