Ulcers are crater-like lesions on the skin or the mucous membrane that may affect any part of the body including mouth, stomach, skin and intestinal tract. Along with a burning pain, ulcers can also lead to nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite and blood in vomit of stool. Inflammation, infection and certain cancerous conditions are the main causes of ulcers. Several medications including H2 blockers and antibiotics may be prescribed to treat ulcers, depending upon the underlying conditions. Surgery and invasive procedures may be required in rare cases. Some vitamins may help manage the condition.
Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin that helps form and maintain healthy teeth, bones, skin and mucous membrane. Several studies, such as the one published in the June 2008 edition of the “Journal of Vascular Nursing,” have shown reduced levels of vitamin A in patients suffering from leg ulcers, indicating a connection between the two 2.
Vitamin A can be obtained from foods such as meat, fish, eggs, poultry and milk and from synthetic supplements that can be purchased at most local pharmacies without a prescription. However, an overdose of vitamin A can lead to bone pain, headache, dizziness and muscle aches. Hence, it is best to talk to a doctor before taking the supplements.
- Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin that helps form and maintain healthy teeth, bones, skin and mucous membrane.
- However, an overdose of vitamin A can lead to bone pain, headache, dizziness and muscle aches.
Can a Vitamin B12 Deficiency Cause Arthritis Symptoms?
B vitamins are a group of eight water soluble vitamins that are essential for proper functioning of several metabolic processes in the body and for red blood cell formation. A diet that includes fish, poultry, meat, eggs, green leafy vegetables, beans and peas is the best source of vitamin B.include:
- A diet that includes fish
- green leafy vegetables
- peas is the best source of vitamin B
Synthetic supplements of vitamin B complex are also available and are recommended by the University of Maryland Medical Center to patients suffering from peptic, intestinal and mouth ulcers because a deficiency of B vitamins, especially folic acid and vitamin B12 have been observed in such patients 1. B complex supplements are well tolerated by most individuals, although an overuse can lead to upset stomach and diarrhea.
Vitamin C or ascorbic acid is a water-soluble vitamin antioxidant vitamin that is required for the normal growth, development, repair and maintenance of body tissues. Medical News Today reported in August 2003 that researchers at the San Francisco VA Medical Center found that deficiency of vitamin C can lead to Helicobacter pylori infections which can lead to peptic ulcers 1. Vitamin C deficiency can be avoided by eating citrus fruits, strawberries, cantaloupes and green leafy vegetables. Synthetic vitamin C supplements can also be taken, but it is important to follow dosage instructions carefully as excess of vitamin C can lead to gastric disturbances.
- Vitamin C or ascorbic acid is a water-soluble vitamin antioxidant vitamin that is required for the normal growth, development, repair and maintenance of body tissues.
- Synthetic vitamin C supplements can also be taken, but it is important to follow dosage instructions carefully as excess of vitamin C can lead to gastric disturbances.
Can a Vitamin B12 Deficiency Cause Arthritis Symptoms?
Vitamins for Glandular Fever
Could Numbness in Feet Be Caused by a Vitamin Deficiency?
Gastroparesis as a Cause of Vitamin B-12 Deficiency
Vitamins Used to Treat Edema
Vitamins for Toenails
Vitamins for Tendinitis
Skin Disorder & Vitamin D Allergy
The Effects of Long-Term Usage of Prilosec
Burning Feet & B Vitamins
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Peptic Ulcer
- "Journal of Vascular Nursing"; Nutritional status and wound severity of overweight and obese patients with venous leg ulcers: A pilot study; Jeniffer Tobón et al; June 2008
- Holick MF, Gordon CM. Patient Guide to Vitamin D Deficiency. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2011;96(7):1-2. doi:10.1210/jcem.96.7.zeg33a
- Sunyecz JA. The use of calcium and vitamin D in the management of osteoporosis. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2008;4(4):827-836. doi:10.2147/tcrm.s3552
- Giovannucci E, Liu Y, Hollis BW, Rimm EB. 25-hydroxyvitamin D and risk of myocardial infarction in men: a prospective study. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168(11):1174-1180. doi:10.1001/archinte.168.11.1174
- Gorham ED, Garland CF, Garland FC, et al. Optimal vitamin D status for colorectal cancer prevention: a quantitative meta analysis. Am J Prev Med. 2007;32(3):210-216. doi:10.1016/j.amepre.2006.11.004
- Lappe JM, Travers-Gustafson D, Davies KM, Recker RR, Heaney RP. Vitamin D and calcium supplementation reduces cancer risk: results of a randomized trial. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2007;85(6):1586-1591. doi:10.1093/ajcn/85.6.1586
- Prentice RL, Pettinger MB, Jackson RD, et al. Health risks and benefits from calcium and vitamin D supplementation: Women’s Health Initiative clinical trial and cohort study. Osteoporos Int. 2013;24(2):567-580. doi:10.1007/s00198-012-2224-2
- Urashima M, Segawa T, Okazaki M, Kurihara M, Wada Y, Ida H. Randomized trial of vitamin D supplementation to prevent seasonal influenza A in schoolchildren. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;91(5):1255-1260. doi:10.3945/ajcn.2009.29094
- Salehpour A, Hosseinpanah F, Shidfar F, et al. A 12-week double-blind randomized clinical trial of vitamin D₃ supplementation on body fat mass in healthy overweight and obese women. Nutr J. 2012;11:78. doi:10.1186/1475-2891-11-78
- Carrillo AE, Flynn MG, Pinkston C, et al. Impact of vitamin D supplementation during a resistance training intervention on body composition, muscle function, and glucose tolerance in overweight and obese adults. Clin Nutr. 2013;32(3):375-381. doi:10.1016/j.clnu.2012.08.014
- Marcinowska-Suchowierska E, Kupisz-Urbańska M, Łukaszkiewicz J, Płudowski P, Jones G. Vitamin D Toxicity-A Clinical Perspective. Front Endocrinol. 2018;9:550. doi:10.3389/fendo.2018.00550
- Ross AC, Manson JE, Abrams SA, et al. The 2011 report on dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D from the Institute of Medicine: what clinicians need to know. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96(1):53-58. doi:10.1210/jc.2010-2704
- Bouillon R, Van Schoor NM, Gielen E, et al. Optimal vitamin D status: a critical analysis on the basis of evidence-based medicine. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98(8):E1283-E1304. doi:10.1210/jc.2013-1195
- American Academy of Dermatology. Position Statement of Vitamin D. 2010.
- Taksler GB, Cutler DM, Giovannucci E, Keating NL. Vitamin D deficiency in minority populations. Public Health Nutr. 2015;18(3):379-391. doi:10.1017/S1368980014000457
- Holick MF, Binkley NC, Bischoff-Ferrari HA, et al. Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96(7):1911-1930. doi:10.1210/jc.2011-0385
- Cannell JJ, Vieth R, Umhau JC, et al. Epidemic Influenza and Vitamin D. Epidemiol Infect. 2006; 134:1129-40.
- Carrillo AE1, Flynn MG, Pinkston C, Markofski MM, Jiang Y, Donkin SS, Teegarden D. Impact of Vitamin D Supplementation During a Resistance Training Intervention on Body Composition, Muscle Function, and Glucose Tolerance in Overweight and Obese Adults. Clin Nutr. 2013 Jun;32(3):375-81. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2012.08.014. Epub 2012 Aug 31.
- Ginde AA, Mansbach JM, Camargo CA, Jr. Association Between Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Level and Upper Respiratory Tract Infection in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169:384-90.
- Giovannucci E, Liu Y, Hollis BW, Rimm EB. 25-hydroxyvitamin D and Risk of Myocardial Infarction in Men: a Prospective Study. Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168:1174-80.
- Gorham ED, Garland CF, Garland FC, Grant WB, Mohr SB, Lipkin M, Newmark HL, Giovannucci E, Wei M, Holick MF. Optimal Vitamin D Status for Colorectal Cancer Prevention: a Quantitative Meta-analysis. Am J Prev Med. 2007 Mar;32(3):210-6.
- Heaney, Robert P. “The Vitamin D Requirement in Health and Disease.” The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry & Molecular Biology 97 (2005):13-9.
- Holick MF. Vitamin D. In: Shils M, Olson J, Shike M, Ross AC, ed. Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease, 9th ed. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1999.
- National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. Vitamin D: Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet. University of Ottawa Evidence-based Practice Center. Effectiveness and Safety of Vitamin D in Relation to Bone Health. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Aug 2007: 07-E013.
- Salehpour A1, Hosseinpanah F, Shidfar F, Vafa M, Razaghi M, Dehghani S, Hoshiarrad A, Gohari M. A 12-week Double-blind Randomized Clinical Trial of Vitamin D₃ Supplementation on Body Fat Mass in Healthy Overweight and Obese Women. Nutr J. 2012 Sep 22;11:78. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-11-78.
- Urashima M, Segawa T, Okazaki M, Kurihara M, Wada Y, Ida H. Randomized Trial of Vitamin D Supplementation to Prevent Seasonal Influenza A in Schoolchildren. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 91:1255-60. Epub 2010 Mar 10.
- Wilkins, Consuelo H. and Yvette I. Sheline, et al. “Vitamin D Deficiency Is Associated with Low Mood and Worse Cognitive Performance in Older Adults.” American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 14 (2006): 1032-40.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. MedlinePlus. Vitamins. Reviewed February 2, 2019.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. MedlinePlus. Vitamin D Deficiency.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. MedlinePlus. Vitamin B12 deficiency anemia. Reviewed January 19, 2018.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. MedlinePlus. Pellagra. Reviewed October 12, 2018.
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Restless Legs Syndrome Fact Sheet.
- Vici G, Belli L, Biondi M, Polzonetti V. Gluten free diet and nutrient deficiencies: A review. Clin Nutr. 2016;35(6):1236-1241. doi:10.1016/j.clnu.2016.05.002
- Wacker M, Holick MF. Sunlight and Vitamin D: A global perspective for health. Dermatoendocrinol. 2013;5(1):51-108. doi:10.4161/derm.24494
- Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation. Vitamin and Mineral Supplementation.
- Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy. Vitamin B12 Deficiency Neuropathy.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. MedlinePlus. Vitamin B Test. Updated May 28, 2019.
- International Foundation for Gastrointestinal Disorder. Malabsorption.
- Diab L, Krebs NF.Vitamin Excess and Deficiency.Pediatr Rev. 2018 Apr;39(4):161-179. doi: 10.1542/pir.2016-0068.
- Thomas-Valdés S, Tostes MDGV, Anunciação PC, da Silva BP, Sant'Ana HMP.Association between vitamin deficiency and metabolic disorders related to obesity.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2017 Oct 13;57(15):3332-3343. doi: 10.1080/10408398.2015.1117413.
A freelance writer and blogger since 2007, Shamala Pulugurtha's work has appeared in magazines such as the "Guide to Health and Healing" and prominent websites like Brain Blogger and NAMI California. Pulugurtha has a postgraduate degree in medical microbiology from Manipal Academy of Higher Education, India and has completed course work in psychology and health education.