A healthy, balanced diet rich in essential nutrients provides many benefits, including urinary health. Eating healthy foods and drinking plenty of water will go a long way in promoting normal frequency and quality of urine. Some vitamin supplements, when taken in excess, can cause frequent urination.
As with all vitamins, it’s possible to get too much vitamin C. This is especially true of people who load up on this vitamin during cold and flu season 1. But the good news is that there aren’t serious reported side effects of overdosing on vitamin C, per the Mayo Clinic 1. However, taking an excess of 1,000 milligrams of vitamin C may cause frequent urination, as well as mild diarrhea and stomach cramps 1. Other symptoms include a flushed face, headaches, nausea and vomiting.
Vitamin C and Urinary Health
Cranberry Juice & Vitamin C for a UTI
But vitamin C does play a role in urinary health. By warding off bacteria in urine, this vitamin has been shown to help prevent bladder infections and flush out harmful toxins. Another positive urinary health aspect of this nutrient is that vitamin C can reduce bladder cancer risks among smokers and those who drink alcohol 1.
Interestingly, a symptom of vitamin B6 deficiency is increased vitamin C in the urine 1. This means a deficiency of vitamin B6 can mean poor absorption and utilization of vitamin C. Since C is so important in urinary health and protecting against infections, getting too little B6 is doubly damaging 1.
- But vitamin C does play a role in urinary health.
- Another positive urinary health aspect of this nutrient is that vitamin C can reduce bladder cancer risks among smokers and those who drink alcohol 1.
Vitamin B also has an impact on urination. The body eliminates excess vitamin B through urine. While excess vitamin B won’t necessarily cause frequent or increased urine output, it will cause a change in the urine itself. Soon after taking vitamin B, or a multivitamin high in this vitamin, your urine will be a bright yellow or even green in color. The urine may also be stronger in odor. Neither the color change or odor change, if caused by healthy doses of vitamin B, warrant concern 1.
- Vitamin B also has an impact on urination.
- Soon after taking vitamin B, or a multivitamin high in this vitamin, your urine will be a bright yellow or even green in color.
Vitamin D Toxicity
Vitamin B5 for Weight Loss
When too much vitamin D is in the body, this is known as vitamin D toxicity or hypervitaminosis D, per Google Health. There are many symptoms of vitamin D toxicity, and among them is frequent urination, particularly at night 1. Excessive thirst is another symptom of this condition.
Vitamin B12 Injection
Taking too much vitamin B12 in supplement form hasn’t been associated with frequent urination. But this can be one of the many side effects of getting a B12 shot. If you're doctor suggests getting a B12 shot, make sure you discuss all the possible side effects with him so you'll know what to expect, per the Mayo Clinic.
Cranberry Juice & Vitamin C for a UTI
Vitamin B5 for Weight Loss
Importance of Vitamins in Our Diet
Vitamin D Deficiency & Blurred Vision
Does Vitamin D3 Cause Dizziness?
Symptoms of Vitamin C Toxicity
Is Too Much Vitamin K Bad for Those With High Blood Pressure?
Vitamin C & Yeast Infection
Vitamins That Increase Blood Flow
Blood in Urine & B-12 Deficiency
- Benefits of Vitamin C
- Holick MF, Gordon CM. Patient Guide to Vitamin D Deficiency. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2011;96(7):1-2. doi:10.1210/jcem.96.7.zeg33a
- Sunyecz JA. The use of calcium and vitamin D in the management of osteoporosis. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2008;4(4):827-836. doi:10.2147/tcrm.s3552
- Giovannucci E, Liu Y, Hollis BW, Rimm EB. 25-hydroxyvitamin D and risk of myocardial infarction in men: a prospective study. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168(11):1174-1180. doi:10.1001/archinte.168.11.1174
- Gorham ED, Garland CF, Garland FC, et al. Optimal vitamin D status for colorectal cancer prevention: a quantitative meta analysis. Am J Prev Med. 2007;32(3):210-216. doi:10.1016/j.amepre.2006.11.004
- Lappe JM, Travers-Gustafson D, Davies KM, Recker RR, Heaney RP. Vitamin D and calcium supplementation reduces cancer risk: results of a randomized trial. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2007;85(6):1586-1591. doi:10.1093/ajcn/85.6.1586
- Prentice RL, Pettinger MB, Jackson RD, et al. Health risks and benefits from calcium and vitamin D supplementation: Women’s Health Initiative clinical trial and cohort study. Osteoporos Int. 2013;24(2):567-580. doi:10.1007/s00198-012-2224-2
- Urashima M, Segawa T, Okazaki M, Kurihara M, Wada Y, Ida H. Randomized trial of vitamin D supplementation to prevent seasonal influenza A in schoolchildren. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;91(5):1255-1260. doi:10.3945/ajcn.2009.29094
- Salehpour A, Hosseinpanah F, Shidfar F, et al. A 12-week double-blind randomized clinical trial of vitamin D₃ supplementation on body fat mass in healthy overweight and obese women. Nutr J. 2012;11:78. doi:10.1186/1475-2891-11-78
- Carrillo AE, Flynn MG, Pinkston C, et al. Impact of vitamin D supplementation during a resistance training intervention on body composition, muscle function, and glucose tolerance in overweight and obese adults. Clin Nutr. 2013;32(3):375-381. doi:10.1016/j.clnu.2012.08.014
- Marcinowska-Suchowierska E, Kupisz-Urbańska M, Łukaszkiewicz J, Płudowski P, Jones G. Vitamin D Toxicity-A Clinical Perspective. Front Endocrinol. 2018;9:550. doi:10.3389/fendo.2018.00550
- Ross AC, Manson JE, Abrams SA, et al. The 2011 report on dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D from the Institute of Medicine: what clinicians need to know. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96(1):53-58. doi:10.1210/jc.2010-2704
- Bouillon R, Van Schoor NM, Gielen E, et al. Optimal vitamin D status: a critical analysis on the basis of evidence-based medicine. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98(8):E1283-E1304. doi:10.1210/jc.2013-1195
- American Academy of Dermatology. Position Statement of Vitamin D. 2010.
- Taksler GB, Cutler DM, Giovannucci E, Keating NL. Vitamin D deficiency in minority populations. Public Health Nutr. 2015;18(3):379-391. doi:10.1017/S1368980014000457
- Holick MF, Binkley NC, Bischoff-Ferrari HA, et al. Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96(7):1911-1930. doi:10.1210/jc.2011-0385
- Cannell JJ, Vieth R, Umhau JC, et al. Epidemic Influenza and Vitamin D. Epidemiol Infect. 2006; 134:1129-40.
- Carrillo AE1, Flynn MG, Pinkston C, Markofski MM, Jiang Y, Donkin SS, Teegarden D. Impact of Vitamin D Supplementation During a Resistance Training Intervention on Body Composition, Muscle Function, and Glucose Tolerance in Overweight and Obese Adults. Clin Nutr. 2013 Jun;32(3):375-81. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2012.08.014. Epub 2012 Aug 31.
- Ginde AA, Mansbach JM, Camargo CA, Jr. Association Between Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Level and Upper Respiratory Tract Infection in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169:384-90.
- Giovannucci E, Liu Y, Hollis BW, Rimm EB. 25-hydroxyvitamin D and Risk of Myocardial Infarction in Men: a Prospective Study. Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168:1174-80.
- Gorham ED, Garland CF, Garland FC, Grant WB, Mohr SB, Lipkin M, Newmark HL, Giovannucci E, Wei M, Holick MF. Optimal Vitamin D Status for Colorectal Cancer Prevention: a Quantitative Meta-analysis. Am J Prev Med. 2007 Mar;32(3):210-6.
- Heaney, Robert P. “The Vitamin D Requirement in Health and Disease.” The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry & Molecular Biology 97 (2005):13-9.
- Holick MF. Vitamin D. In: Shils M, Olson J, Shike M, Ross AC, ed. Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease, 9th ed. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1999.
- National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. Vitamin D: Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet. University of Ottawa Evidence-based Practice Center. Effectiveness and Safety of Vitamin D in Relation to Bone Health. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Aug 2007: 07-E013.
- Salehpour A1, Hosseinpanah F, Shidfar F, Vafa M, Razaghi M, Dehghani S, Hoshiarrad A, Gohari M. A 12-week Double-blind Randomized Clinical Trial of Vitamin D₃ Supplementation on Body Fat Mass in Healthy Overweight and Obese Women. Nutr J. 2012 Sep 22;11:78. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-11-78.
- Urashima M, Segawa T, Okazaki M, Kurihara M, Wada Y, Ida H. Randomized Trial of Vitamin D Supplementation to Prevent Seasonal Influenza A in Schoolchildren. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 91:1255-60. Epub 2010 Mar 10.
- Wilkins, Consuelo H. and Yvette I. Sheline, et al. “Vitamin D Deficiency Is Associated with Low Mood and Worse Cognitive Performance in Older Adults.” American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 14 (2006): 1032-40.
An accomplished business and marketing writer, Becky Sheetz-Runkle has solid experience in SEO and online marketing. She is a prolific copywriter for marketing materials, websites, direct mail and more. She is a former columnist for the "Washington Business Journal," and has been published in MarketingProfs, Examiner, PR News and other trade media. She is also a former reporter.