Toenail fungus usually gains entry to the toenail bed when there has been an injury to the nail, such as a crack or a split 1. Once the fungus has entered, the warm, dark environment that it finds in the shoes and socks encourages it to grow and spread. According to the Foot Health Network, the standard treatment for toenail fungus involves prescription medication or partial to full nail removal 1. Many people want to avoid harsh medications and painful treatment and are turning to a remedy for toenail fungus you may not suspect: Vicks VapoRub 1.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
It seems as though Vicks VapoRub has been a cure for almost everything, from coughs to chest congestion to stuffy noses. Now Vicks is emerging as a cure for nail fungus. What may have started as an accidental home remedy now has a medical study to back it up. Researchers at Michigan State University studied the effects of Meijer medicated chest rub on toenail fungus and found the ratio of camphor, eucalyptus oil and menthol to be effective in treating the fungus 1. While the brand was Meijer, it has the exact same ratio of ingredients that Vicks VapoRub has, which explains why people are having so much success with Vicks.
- It seems as though Vicks VapoRub has been a cure for almost everything, from coughs to chest congestion to stuffy noses.
Vicks VapoRub & Toenail Fungus
To treat toenail fungus with Vicks VapoRub, clean and trim your toenails 1. Wash them well and make sure they are completely dry. Coat the toenail with the Vicks, and be sure to get the gel deep into the sides of the nail and as far underneath as possible 1. If you have any cracks in your nail, rub deeply into them. Once the nail is covered, then wrap a light gauze bandage or adhesive bandage around the nail to protect the Vicks from rubbing off on to socks or something else. Leave it on and let the gel absorb into the nail. Repeat daily. The time it takes to notice results can be anywhere from 10 days to six weeks, depending upon how deep your fungus is.
- To treat toenail fungus with Vicks VapoRub, clean and trim your toenails 1.
- Once the nail is covered, then wrap a light gauze bandage or adhesive bandage around the nail to protect the Vicks from rubbing off on to socks or something else.
Vicks VapoRub & Toenail Fungus
Tea Tree Oil and Camphor for Nail Fungus
How to Restore a Damaged Toenail Bed
How to Use Baking Soda to Treat Toenail Fungus
How to Remove a Toenail
About Toenail Fungus Laser Treatment
Does Trimming Your Hair Really Make it Grow Faster?
How to Treat Fingernail Fungus
How to Use Bleach for Curing Toenail Fungus
How to Get Rid of Thick Skin Under the Toenails
- Toenail Fungus
- Shirwaikar AA, Thomas T, Shirwaikar A, Lobo R, Prabhu KS. Treatment of onychomycosis: an update. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2008;70(6):710-4. doi:10.4103/0250-474X.49088
- Syed TA, Qureshi ZA, Ali SM, Ahmad S, Ahmad SA. Treatment of toenail onychomycosis with 2% butenafine and 5% Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil in cream. Trop Med Int Health. 1999 Apr;4(4):284-7. doi:10.1046/j.1365-3156.1999.00396.x
- Buck DS, Nidorf DM, Addino JG. Comparison of two topical preparations for the treatment of onychomycosis: Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil and clotrimazole. J Fam Pract. 1994 Jun;38(6):601-5.
- Chee HY, Lee MH. Antifungal activity of clove essential oil and its volatile vapour against dermatophytic fungi. Mycobiology. 2007;35(4):241-3. doi:10.4489/MYCO.2007.35.4.241
- Gayoso CW, Lima EO, Oliveira VT, Pereira FO, Souza EL, Lima IO, Navarro DF. Sensitivity of fungi isolated from onychomycosis to Eugenia cariophyllata essential oil and eugenol. Fitoterapia. 2005 Mar;76(2):247-9. doi:10.1016/j.fitote.2004.12.005
- National Institutes of Health. "Fungal nail infection: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia". June 2011.
A certified nutritionist who majored in health, fitness and nutrition, Traci Vandermark has been writing articles in her specialty fields since 1998. Her articles have appeared both online and in print for publications such as Simple Abundance, "Catskill Country Magazine," "Birds and Blooms," "Cappers" and "Country Discoveries."