How to Use Bleach for Curing Toenail Fungus

Onychomycosis, or simply toenail fungus, is a fungal infestation that can discolor toenails and make them brittle to the point of crumbling. Toenail fungus causes no pain or any other symptoms, and the condition is relatively mild. However, the infested toenails can be unsightly and make wearing sandals or other open-toed shoes impossible. Luckily, you can use bleach for curing toenail fungus by diluting it in water and applying it to the toenail.

Is This an Emergency?

If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.

Cut all toenails as short as possible using a pair of toenail clippers. This will help expose more of the fungus to the bleach. File the nail down from the top, about 1 to 2 centimeters. Be careful not to file too much, or you could go through the toenail, which is extremely painful.

How to Kill Toenail Fungus With Bleach

Learn More

Add 1 part bleach to 100 parts water in a large bucket. Soak your feet in the bucket for 30 minutes once a week to kill any new or forming toenail fungus. For severe cases, you may soak your feet for 15-20 minutes daily.

Continue soaking your feet for two to three months or until the toenail fungus is cured completely. Rinse thoroughly after each soaking. Any lapse in the treatment can allow the fungus to gain a stronger hold on the toenail.

Will Clorox Kill Toenail Fungus?

Learn More

Apply a small amount of bleach from a bleach pen onto each infected toenail after you bathe. The bleach pen delivers a somewhat diluted but still potent dose of bleach to the toenail. This is ideal for people whose feet are irritated by the bleach soak.

Apply a combination of one part bleach to 10 parts water directly to the toenail for extreme cases of toenail fungus. Allow the bleach to stay on the toenail the entire day, and then refresh the coat before going to bed.


Bleach is a powerful chemical that can cause significant skin irritation. If you experience any irritation or pain, stop using the bleach treatment immediately.

Be careful never to inhale bleach while mixing with water or at any other time during the treatment. Inhalation can cause serious medical conditions and should be avoided at all costs.