How to Treat Colds With Hot Brandy
How to Treat Colds With Hot Brandy. If you are looking for a simple, relaxing way to pamper yourself when you have a cold, a Hot Toddy is perfect. Not only is it tasty, but it also has health benefits that sooth the symptoms of your cold. Another plus is that it's is a natural method; you do not need to ply yourself with over-the-counter medicines. Enjoy.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Bring approximately 3 oz. of water to a boil-enough to fill a teacup nearly to the top. You may want to use tea instead to add a different flavor, but plain hot water allows you to enjoy the mellow taste of the brandy mixture.
Japanese Cold Remedies
Pour 1 1/2 to 2 oz. of brandy into a teacup, depending on your preference. Brandy has several properties to recommend it as a treatment, such as the antimicrobial properties of the alcohol and its ability to thin the mucus built up by the cold. In proper amounts, it can also be very calming.
Add the hot water to the brandy and then stir a spoonful of honey (to taste) to the mixture. Honey is soothing for sore throats and irritated mucus membranes; it is also believed to have sedative properties and relieve coughs and stuffy noses.
Remedies for Sore Throat & Cough
Cut a wedge of lemon and squeeze it into the Toddy. Lemon has loads of citric acid and vitamin C to help loosen phlegm and boost the immune system. Lemon also has astringent qualities, which will reduce swelling in the throat and is an excellent anti-oxidant.
Drink the hot brandy just before bed to help you relax. You'll sleep more easily and the ingredients will help you to breathe more freely, cough less and ease the pain and irritation from the cold.
Japanese Cold Remedies
Remedies for Sore Throat & Cough
Foods That Act As an Expectorant
What Are the Health Benefits of Ginger, Lemon, & Honey Tea?
Uses of Whiskey for Congestion
What Is Good to Drink to Break-Up Phlegm?
What to Drink to Clear Bronchial Tubes
How to Cough Up Mucus
What Should You Eat With a Cold & Sore Throat?
How to Use Dried Basil for Basil Tea
- Brandy. USDA FoodData Central. Updated April 1, 2020
- What Is GI? Glycemic Index Foundation. 2017
- Alcoholic beverage, distilled, 100 proof. USDA FoodData Central. Updated 4/1/2019
- Salter, Hyde, M.D., Treatment of the asthmatic paroxysm by full doses of alcoholBoston Med Surg J. (published online by The New England Journal of Medicine. December 10, 1863 69:379-383 doi:10.1056/NEJM186312100691903
- Ayres JG, Clark TJ. Alcoholic drinks and asthma: a survey. Br J Dis Chest. 1983;77(4):370-5.
- Health Benefits Of A Christmas Brandy. ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 19 December 2005.
- Ziyatdinova G, Salikhova I, Budnikov H. Chronoamperometric estimation of cognac and brandy antioxidant capacity using MWNT modified glassy carbon electrode. Talanta. 2014;125:378-84 doi:10.1016/j.talanta.2014.03.039
- Bukovsky-Reyes, S. E. R., Lowe, L. E., Brandon, W. M., & Owens, J. E.Measurement of antioxidants in distilled spirits by a silver nanoparticle assay. Journal of the Institute of Brewing (2018) 124(3), 291–299. doi:10.1002/jib.496
- Baum-Baicker, C. The psychological benefits of moderate alcohol consumption: A review of the literature. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 15(4), 305–322. (1985). doi:10.1016/0376-8716(85)90008-0
- IC, Joosten MM, Klöpping-ketelaars WA, Witkamp RF, Hendriks HF. Moderate alcohol consumption after a mental stressor attenuates the endocrine stress response. Alcohol. 2016;57:29-34. doi: 10.1016/j.alcohol.2016.10.006
- The Link Between Stress and Alcohol. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Alcohol Research: Current Reviews, 2012, Volume 34, Number 4
- Guly H. Medicinal brandy. Resuscitation. 2011;82(7):951‐954. doi:10.1016/j.resuscitation.2011.03.005
- O'keefe JH, Bhatti SK, Bajwa A, Dinicolantonio JJ, Lavie CJ. Alcohol and cardiovascular health: the dose makes the poison…or the remedy. Mayo Clin Proc. 2014;89(3):382-93. doi:10.1016/j.mayocp.2013.11.005
- Steiner JL, Crowell KT, Lang CH. Impact of alcohol on glycemic control and insulin action. Biomolecules. 2015;5(4):2223–2246. Published 2015 Sep 29. doi:10.3390/biom5042223
- Jang HD, Hong JY, Han K, et al. Relationship between bone mineral density and alcohol intake: A nationwide health survey analysis of postmenopausal women. PLoS One. 2017;12(6):e0180132. Published 2017 Jun 29. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0180132
- Sampson, H. Wayne, Ph.D. Alcohol and Other Factors Affecting Osteoporosis Risk in Women National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. June 2003
- LaBrie JW, Boyle S, Earle A, Almstedt HC. Heavy episodic drinking Is associated with poorer bone health in adolescent and young adult women. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2018;79(3):391–398. doi:10.15288/jsad.2018.79.391
- Appendix 9. Alcohol. USDA Dietary Guidelines 2015-2020.
- What are the different drinking levels? National Institutes of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
- Koob, George, F., Alcohol poses different challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic. National Institutes of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. April 2020
- The Link Between Stress and Alcohol. National Institutes of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Alcohol Alert Number 85
- Sarkar D, Jung MK, Wang HJ. Alcohol and the Immune System. Alcohol Res. 2015;37(2):153–155.
- Traversy G, Chaput JP. Alcohol consumption and obesity: An update. Curr Obes Rep. 2015;4(1):122–130. doi:10.1007/s13679-014-0129-4
- What are the risks? National Institutes of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
- Alcohol angioedema and urticaria. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. February 24, 2020
This article was written by a professional writer, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. To submit your questions or ideas, or to simply learn more, see our about us page: link below.