What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Scarring is the body’s way of healing after an injury. Sores, cuts and burns might cause scarring. Skin conditions, such as acne, also cause scarring 2. Dermatologists have found that family history plays a role in this skin problem as well, reports the American Academy of Dermatology. If you struggle with scarring, topical cortisone creams can assist with minimizing the appearance of these imperfections.
Topical Steroid Application
Talk with your dermatologist about the application of topical cortisone creams for your scars. This topical cream is used on all types of scars. Typically, you’ll need to apply the cream only once or twice daily. If you have dry skin, discuss using of a moisturizer with your doctor; otherwise, topical cortisone creams for scars might dry and irritate your skin.
- Talk with your dermatologist about the application of topical cortisone creams for your scars.
- If you have dry skin, discuss using of a moisturizer with your doctor; otherwise, topical cortisone creams for scars might dry and irritate your skin.
Lotion to Remove Scars
If you use topical cortisone for scars, discuss sun exposure with your doctor. Most often she’ll recommend that you minimize sun exposure. Not only does sun exposure make scarring worse, topical cortisone might also make you more sensitive to the sun. Avoid the sun in the early afternoon hours. And, use an SPF of 30 or higher in the sun to protect your scars and minimize additional damage.
- If you use topical cortisone for scars, discuss sun exposure with your doctor.
Other potential side effects include a rash around the mouth, enlarged blood vessels and increased risk for skin infections. Talk with your dermatologist about the risks and benefits of using topical cortisone creams for scar treatment.
Vitamin C for Cystic Acne
If topical cortisone isn’t working on your scars, talk with your doctor about other treatment options. These include chemical peals, laser resurfacing and steroid injections. For severe scarring cases, your doctor might recommend surgical removal of your scar, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Your dermatologist will help you select the best treatment for your situation.
- If topical cortisone isn’t working on your scars, talk with your doctor about other treatment options.
- For severe scarring cases, your doctor might recommend surgical removal of your scar, according to the American Academy of Dermatology.
Lotion to Remove Scars
Vitamin C for Cystic Acne
How to Reduce the Appearance of Scarring
How to Get Rid of Shingle Scars
How to Flatten Keloid Scars
How to Remove Hyperpigmentation Scars
How to Stop Acne Scarring
Chemical Peels for Scars
Holes in My Face From Acne
How to Treat Scars After Surgery
- DermNet.NZ: Topical Steroids
- SkinCarePhysicians: Acne Scars: Answers to Common Questions
- SkinCarePhysicians: Acne Scars: Type and Treatement
- MedlinePlus: Keloids
- MedlinePlus: Scars
- Masala S, Fiori R, Bartolucci DA, et al. Diagnostic and therapeutic joint injections. Semin Intervent Radiol. 2010;27(2):160-71. doi:10.1055/s-0030-1253514
- Mak IYF, Au yeung BYT, Ng YW, et al. Salivary Cortisol and Cortisone After Low-Dose Corticotropin Stimulation in the Diagnosis of Adrenal Insufficiency. J Endocr Soc. 2017;1(2):96-108. doi:10.1210/js.2016-1056
- Nuelle CW, Cook CR, Stoker AM, Cook JL, Sherman SL. In Vivo Toxicity of Local Anesthetics and Corticosteroids on Supraspinatus Tenocyte Cell Viability and Metabolism. Iowa Orthop J. 2018;38:107-112.
- Waterbrook AL, Balcik BJ, Goshinska AJ. Blood Glucose Levels After Local Musculoskeletal Steroid Injections in Patients With Diabetes Mellitus: A Clinical Review. Sports Health. 2017;9(4):372-374. doi:10.1177/1941738117702585
- Gross C, Dhawan A, Harwood D, Gochanour E, Romeo A. Glenohumeral joint injections: a review. Sports Health. 2013;5(2):153-9. doi:10.1177/1941738112459706
- Alsop RJ, Khondker A, Hub JS, Rheinstädter MC. The Lipid Bilayer Provides a Site for Cortisone Crystallization at High Cortisone Concentrations. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22425. doi:10.1038/srep22425
- Holland C, Jaeger L, Smentkowski U, Weber B, Otto C. Septic and aseptic complications of corticosteroid injections: an assessment of 278 cases reviewed by expert commissions and mediation boards from 2005 to 2009. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2012;109(24):425-30. doi:10.3238/arztebl.2012.0425
- Park SK, Choi YS, Kim HJ. Hypopigmentation and subcutaneous fat, muscle atrophy after local corticosteroid injection. Korean J Anesthesiol. 2013;65(6 Suppl):S59-61. doi:10.4097/kjae.2013.65.6S.S59
- Cheng J, Abdi S. Complications of joint, tendon, and muscle injections. Tech Reg Anesth Pain Manag. 2007;11(3):141-147. doi:10.1053/j.trap.2007.05.006
- Nepple JJ, Matava MJ. Soft tissue injections in the athlete. Sports Health. 2009;1(5):396-404. doi:10.1177/1941738109343159
- Hepper CT, at al. The Efficacy and Duration of Intra-articular Corticosteroid Injection for Knee Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Review of Level I Studies. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2009 Oct;17(10):638-46.
- Koester MC, Dunn WR, Kuhn JE, Spindler KP. The Efficacy of Subacromial Corticosteroid Injection in the Treatment of Rotator Cuff Disease: A Systematic Review. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2007 Jan;15(1):3-11.
Nicki Howell started her professional writing career in 2002, specializing in areas such as health, fitness and personal finance. She has been published at health care websites, such as HealthTree, and is a ghostwriter for a variety of small health care organizations. She earned a Bachelor of Science in business administration from Portland State University.