Tingling in the Hands, Feet & Face
If you've got tingly fingers and toes, you may wonder whether they indicate something serious. That prickly sensation can have a variety of causes, from benign to sinister. Once the tingling spreads to your face, it's time to find out what you're dealing with. Consult a medical professional for a full diagnosis.
Tingling is related to your nerves. When a nerve becomes numb and then "wakes back up," an abnormal sensation can occur. It's been described as "pins and needles"—a prickly feeling, not unlike an itch. Tingling generally means that one or more nerves is under pressure, or not getting enough blood. However, the underlying cause can be difficult to determine.
- Tingling is related to your nerves.
- When a nerve becomes numb and then "wakes back up," an abnormal sensation can occur.
Tingling in Legs Without Pain
The simplest cause of tingling is lack of movement. When you don't move for a long time, it can put pressure on nerves and blood vessels, resulting in tingling when you move again. Another likely cause is tight clothing, which can restrict blood and cause pressure. Tingling can also result from pressure on your nerves from enlarged blood vessels, tumors, scar tissue or infection, according to MedlinePlus 1. Cholesterol buildup from atherosclerosis in the legs can make your feet tingle when you walk. Additional causes of tingling include carpal tunnel syndrome, diabetes, migraine, multiple sclerosis, seizures, underactive thyroid and vitamin deficiency.cause:
- Additional causes of tingling include carpal tunnel syndrome
- multiple sclerosis
- underactive thyroid
- vitamin deficiency
- The simplest cause of tingling is lack of movement.
- Tingling can also result from pressure on your nerves from enlarged blood vessels, tumors, scar tissue or infection, according to MedlinePlus 1.
Tingling is often accompanied by numbness 1. The medical term for numbness and tingling is "parasthesia." Parasthesia is significant, but not life-threatening 1. Additional, more serious symptoms include:
- weakness or paralysis
- loss of muscle control
- slurred speech
When symptoms such as these accompany tingling, they can indicate a serious medical condition. If you have any of these additional symptoms, call your doctor or go to a hospital immediately.
Tingling As a Side Effect of Yoga
While tingling is not life-threatening, it can result in nerve damage over time. This is known as peripheral neuropathy, and it is difficult to cure 2. Peripheral neuropathy can be inherited or acquired through injury or illness. If you have just started experiencing tingling, it may be treatable; however, the longer it goes untreated, the more difficult it can be to cure. If your tingling has spread from your hands and feet to your face, or if it's been happening for a long time and is getting worse, see a medical professional.
- While tingling is not life-threatening, it can result in nerve damage over time.
- If you have just started experiencing tingling, it may be treatable; however, the longer it goes untreated, the more difficult it can be to cure.
If you have tingling in your hands, feet and face, first determine whether your clothing is too tight, particularly at the cuffs and neck. Move and stretch to restore circulation. If tingling continues, contact your doctor immediately for a consultation. Your doctor may conduct a physical examination and take your medical history, focusing on your nervous system—specifically asking about any other abnormal sensations, how long you've felt tingling and whether anything makes it worse. Blood tests, X-rays, a CT scan or an MRI may be used to diagnose the source of your tingling.
- If you have tingling in your hands, feet and face, first determine whether your clothing is too tight, particularly at the cuffs and neck.
- Your doctor may conduct a physical examination and take your medical history, focusing on your nervous system—specifically asking about any other abnormal sensations, how long you've felt tingling and whether anything makes it worse.
Tingling in Legs Without Pain
Tingling As a Side Effect of Yoga
Causes of Body Tingling
My Foot Falls Asleep During Exercise
Rehabilitation of an Ulnar Nerve Contusion
Could Numbness in Feet Be Caused by a Vitamin Deficiency?
Causes of Tingling in the Leg & Foot
How Much EPA & DHA Are in Chia Seeds?
What Are the Causes of Burning Sensations in the Inner Thigh?
4 Symptoms of Leg Weakness You Should Learn to Recognize
- MedlinePlus: Numbness and Tingling
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke: Peripheral Neuropathy Fact Sheet
- Klein JP. Imaging of progressive weakness or numbness of central or peripheral origin. Handb Clin Neurol. 2016;136:923-37. doi:10.1016/B978-0-444-53486-6.00047-8
- Bracker MD, Ralph LP. The numb arm and hand. Am Fam Physician. 1995;51(1):103-16.
- Wipperman J, Goerl K. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Diagnosis and Management. Am Fam Physician. 2016;94(12):993-999.
- Mellion M, Gilchrist JM, De La Monte S. Alcohol-related peripheral neuropathy: nutritional, toxic, or both? Muscle Nerve. 2011;43(3):309-16. doi:10.1002/mus.21946
- Cohen KR, Salbu RL, Frank J, Israel I. Presentation and management of herpes zoster (shingles) in the geriatric population. P T. 2013;38(4):217-27.
- Halperin JJ. Chronic Lyme disease: misconceptions and challenges for patient management. Infect Drug Resist. 2015;8:119-28. doi:10.2147/IDR.S66739
- Okazaki T, Shinagawa S, Mikage H. Vasculitis syndrome-diagnosis and therapy. J Gen Fam Med. 2017;18(2):72-78. doi:10.1002/jgf2.4
- Saint-lary O, Rébois A, Mediouni Z, Descatha A. Carpal tunnel syndrome: primary care and occupational factors. Front Med (Lausanne). 2015;2:28. doi:10.3389/fmed.2015.00028
- England JD, Gronseth GS, Franklin G, et al. Evaluation of Distal Symmetric Polyneuropathy: the Role of Laboratory and Genetic Testing (an Evidence-Based Review). Muscle Nerve 2009; 39:116.
- Gilman, S, Newman, SW. Manter and Gatz's Essentials of Clinical Neuroanatomy and Neurophysiology, 8, FA Davis, Philadelphia 1992.
- Patten J. Neurological Differential Diagnosis, 2nd, Springer, New York 1996.
An award-winning blogger, Jessica Blue has been promoting sustainability, natural health and a do-it-yourself attitude since graduating University of California, Berkeley in 2000. Her work, seen in a wide variety of publications, advocates an environmentally-responsible and healthy lifestyle.