Banana allergy symptoms usually develop right after eating the fruit. Physical effects may involve mouth and gastrointestinal disturbances or may escalate rapidly into life-threatening anaphylactic shock. According to the Nemours Foundation, children with banana allergies often outgrow them, whereas people who develop them as adults may have to avoid banana allergens for a lifetime 1.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
The allergy symptom of itching in the mouth area may affect the lips, tongue and throat. Itching sensations may spread to the eyes and skin. In discussing these problems with their doctors, patients should disclose additional known allergies, which can aid in diagnosis. The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America reports that many patients who get seasonal allergic reactions to ragweed or contact allergies to latex also have banana allergies 12. Mouth itching may be more intense during ragweed season, when patients’ sensitivities are high.
- The allergy symptom of itching in the mouth area may affect the lips, tongue and throat.
- Mouth itching may be more intense during ragweed season, when patients’ sensitivities are high.
Pear Allergy Symptoms
The inflammation that causes itching usually brings swelling to the same areas of the body. Itching and swelling symptoms from bananas in ragweed hay fever patients may comprise the extent of their health problems. Symptoms limited to the mouth are called oral allergy syndrome. A greater reaction may raise welts on the skin, creating a red rash or hives. A severe allergic reaction to bananas can prompt the eyes and face to swell acutely, causing pain and tenderness and making it difficult for patients to see.
- The inflammation that causes itching usually brings swelling to the same areas of the body.
- A severe allergic reaction to bananas can prompt the eyes and face to swell acutely, causing pain and tenderness and making it difficult for patients to see.
This inflammation may constrict the airways when swelling affects the throat, tongue and sinus areas under the eyes. The University of Maryland Medical Center relates that this condition may create difficulty in swallowing or breathing. These allergy symptoms can escalate to dangerous levels when combined with an adverse cardiovascular response.
Allergic Reactions to Bananas
Banana allergies become serious when the immune system mistakenly triggers a decrease in blood pressure. As respiratory problems restrict blood oxygen levels, anaphylaxis progresses toward shock, the Nemours Foundation reports. Serious allergy symptoms that require immediate paramedic assistance include a weak or racing pulse, light-headedness and sudden loss of consciousness.
Banana allergies cause a variety of gastrointestinal symptoms that often begin with nausea, notes the University of Maryland Medical Center. Stomach pain and cramping may take place shortly after eating bananas, as digestion begins. In some patients, however, allergic reactions to bananas provoke almost immediate vomiting or diarrhea.
Pear Allergy Symptoms
Allergic Reactions to Bananas
Symptoms of Allergy to Stone Fruit
Signs & Symptoms of Allergy to Cherries
Are Bananas Bad to Eat When You Have Rhinitis?
Potato Allergy Symptoms
Carrot Allergy Symptoms
Apple Allergy Symptoms
High Histamine Symptoms
Flour Allergy Symptoms
- Nemours Foundation: Children’s Food Allergies
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America: Ragweed Allergy
- American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. Ragweed Allergy. Updated April 23, 2018.
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Ragweed Pollen Allergy. Updated August 2019.
- Gautier C, Charpin D. Environmental triggers and avoidance in the management of asthma. J Asthma Allergy. 2017;10:47-56. doi:10.2147%2FJAA.S121276
- Yamauchi K, Ogasawara M. The Role of Histamine in the Pathophysiology of Asthma and the Clinical Efficacy of Antihistamines in Asthma Therapy. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20(7) doi:10.3390/ijms20071733
- Katelaris CH. Food allergy and oral allergy or pollen-food syndrome. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010;10(3):246-51. doi:10.1097/aci.0b013e32833973fb
- Mastrorilli C, Cardinale F, Giannetti A, Caffarelli C. Pollen-Food Allergy Syndrome: A not so Rare Disease in Childhood. Medicina (Kaunas). 2019;55(10). doi:10.3390/medicina55100641
- American College of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology. Skin test. Updated April 16, 2018.
- Seidman MD, Gurgel RK, Lin SY, et al. Clinical practice guideline: allergic rhinitis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015;152(1 Suppl):S1-43. doi:10.1177/0194599814561600
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Ragweed Allergy
- American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. Topic of the Month: August 2006: Ragweed, allergies and hay fever
Nancy Clarke began writing in 1988 after achieving her Bachelor of Arts in English and has edited books on medicine, diet, senior care and other health topics. Her related affiliations include work for the American Medical Association and Oregon Health Plan.