Stanozolol falls into the drug classification of anabolic steroids -- drugs made to mimic the effect of male hormones in the body 1. These hormones, testosterone and dihydrotesterone, increase the synthesis of protein within the cells, resulting in a faster buildup of cell tissue. These drugs were once used exclusively by athletes and bodybuilders. However, individuals not happy with their current body shape today are more likely to turn to these drugs to help improve their perceived appearance.
Drugs.com lists acne as a common side effect of anabolic steroids such as stanozolol 1. If an individual does not have acne, it can become a problem, and if the person already has acne, stanozolol may exacerbate the condition. Acne will commonly be found on the face, upper arms, back and chest area. The pores in the skin may also enlarge, making the skin rough. This is called virilization and is irreversible in women. Men and women may suffer from stretch marks over the arms and upper legs as the muscles grow too quickly for the skin to accommodate the changes. These stretch marks are also irreversible.
- Drugs.com lists acne as a common side effect of anabolic steroids such as stanozolol 1.
- If an individual does not have acne, it can become a problem, and if the person already has acne, stanozolol may exacerbate the condition.
Side Effects of Dianabol
Testosterone is a naturally occurring male hormone that drives the development of secondary sex characteristics and the sex drive. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, or NIDA, the addition of anabolic steroids to the human system can cause:
- shrinking testicles
- reduced sperm count
- breast development in men
- an increased risk of prostate cancer 2
Women also suffer from side effects that include growth of facial hair, male-pattern baldness, adverse change in the menstrual cycle leading to infertility, enlarged clitoris and deepened voice. Once the drug has been withdrawn from the system, many of these side effects may be reversed.
According to NIDA, clinical and anecdotal evidence shows that anabolic steroids may contribute to psychiatric dysfunction, such as aggression, mood swings and manic-like symptoms. Each of these changes may lead to violent behavior. Other reported emotional effects include paranoid jealousy, extreme irritability and delusions.
Finasteride 5Mg Side Effects
Stanozolol may have a negative effect on blood pressure and plasma proteins, both of which affect the cardiovascular system. According to the Encyclopedia of Sports Medicine and Science, high-density lipoproteins will be reduced well below the normal range, and total cholesterol levels will rise when individuals use anabolic steroids such as stanozolol 3. Evidence also suggests that the effect on blood pressure is dose dependent, but blood pressure appears to normalize approximately two months after the drug has been withdrawn.
Less Common Side Effects
Boys and men may experience an increased number of erections that are prolonged and not associated with sexual stimulation. Sexual desire in men and women may be abnormally increased or decreased, and they may suffer from chills, diarrhea or trouble sleeping.
RxList warns that in rare cases, serious and even fatal liver problems may occur from taking stanozolol. Early signs of liver problems may be abdominal pain, unusual fatigue, light-colored stools, dark-colored urine, nausea or vomiting or yellowing of the skin or eyes.
- Boys and men may experience an increased number of erections that are prolonged and not associated with sexual stimulation.
- Sexual desire in men and women may be abnormally increased or decreased, and they may suffer from chills, diarrhea or trouble sleeping.
Side Effects of Dianabol
Finasteride 5Mg Side Effects
Side Effects of Men Taking Female Birth Control Pills
Side Effects of Taking Testosterone Supplements
Emotional Side Effects of Steroids
Finasteride and Acne
Fat Gain With Propecia
Risks of Men Taking Female Hormones
The Long-Term Effects of Steroids
Side Effects of Effexor 37.5Mg
- Drugs.com: Anabolic Steroid
- National Institute on Drug Abuse: NIDA InfoFacts: Steroids (Anabolic-Androgenic)
- Encyclopedia of Sports Medicine and Science: Anabolic Steroids: Side Effects
- RxList: Winstrol
- Partnership for Drug-Free Kids. Drug Guide: Steroids. Published online, no date.
- Basaria S, Wahlstrom JT, Dobs AS. Clinical review 138: Anabolic-androgenic steroid therapy in the treatment of chronic diseases. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86(11):5108-17. doi:10.1210/jcem.86.11.7983
- Drug Enforcement Administration, Diversion Control Division. Rules 2005: Implementation of the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004. FR Doc 05-23907, December 16, 2005. 70(241)74653-74658. From the Federal Register Online. DOCID:fr16de05-7
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). FDA issues warning about body-building products labeled to contain steroid and steroid-like substances. Updated online, June, 20, 2017.
- Drug Enforcement Administration, Diversion Control Division. Steroid Abuse in Today's Society: A Guide for Understanding Steroids and Related Substances. Published online, March 2004.
- Christou MA, Christou PA, Markozannes G, Tsatsoulis A, Mastorakos G, Tigas S. Effects of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids on the Reproductive System of Athletes and Recreational Users: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Sports Med. 2017;47(9):1869-1883. doi:10.1007/s40279-017-0709-z
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). Steroids and Other Appearance and Performance Enhancing Drugs (APEDs). Published online, updated February 21, 2018.
- Pope HG, Kouri EM, Hudson JI. Effects of supraphysiologic doses of testosterone on mood and aggression in normal men: a randomized controlled trial. Archives of general psychiatry. Feb 1, 2000;57(2):133-40.
- Kanayama G, Brower KJ, Wood RI, Hudson JI, Pope HG. Anabolic-androgenic steroid dependence: an emerging disorder. Addiction. 2009;104(12):1966-78. doi:10.1111/j.1360-0443.2009.02734.x
- Goldberg L, Elliot D, Clarke GN, MacKinnon DP, Moe E, Zoref L, Green C, Wolf SL, Greffrath E, Miller DJ, Lapin A. Effects of a multidimensional anabolic steroid prevention intervention: The Adolescents Training and Learning to Avoid Steroids (ATLAS) Program. JAMA. 1996 Nov 20;276(19):1555-62.
- Elliot DL, Goldberg L. Athletes targeting healthy exercise and nutrition alternatives. Handbook of prevention and intervention programs for adolescent girls. 2008:206.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. Anabolic steroids. MedlinePlus. Reviewed August 18, 2014.
- UK National Health Service. Anabolic steroid misuse. Choices: Your health, your choices. Published August 2013
Gail Morris has been writing extensively since 1997. She completed a master's degree in nursing at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis and practiced in medicine for more than 20 years. Morris has published medical articles in peer-reviewed journals and now writes for various online publications and freelances for Internet marketers.