Side Effects of Calcium Sandoz
If you've been diagnosed with osteoporosis or low blood calcium levels, your doctor may place you on a supplement known as Calcium Sandoz. Developed in 1929 by Sandoz, a division of the Novartis pharmaceutical company, Calcium Sandoz contains the salts calcium glubionate and calcium lactobionate. The supplement is available in syrup or tablet form. While it isn't associated with serious side effects, some individuals may experience symptoms while taking Calcium Sandoz. If you have symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as facial swelling, hives or trouble breathing, stop using Calcium Sandoz and seek medical help immediately.
Calcium Sandoz use may affect the digestive system, resulting in diarrhea, constipation, indigestion, nausea, pain in the stomach and abdomen and flatulence due to a buildup of gas in the intestines. According to Medicines.org.uk, fewer than 1 in every 1,000 Calcium Sandoz users experience disruptive digestive side effects. Tell your doctor about any digestive changes while on Calcium Sandoz, particularly if you have symptoms that progressively increase in severity.
Gatorade G2 Ingredients
Taking Calcium Sandoz may increase your risk of hypercalcemia, a condition in which the concentration of calcium in your blood rises abnormally high. Common symptoms of hypercalcemia include increased thirst, loss of appetite, vomiting, increased urination, depression, bone pain, memory loss, muscle weakness, persistent and unusual fatigue or drowsiness, and abdominal pain. In extreme cases, it can cause kidney failure, pancreatitis or high blood pressure. If you experience hypercalcemia symptoms while taking Calcium Sandoz, contact your doctor as soon as possible.
- Taking Calcium Sandoz may increase your risk of hypercalcemia, a condition in which the concentration of calcium in your blood rises abnormally high.
Blood Sugar Fluctuations
Calcium Sandoz contains a large amount of added sweetener. For example, a 5-milliliter dose of Calcium Sandoz syrup contains 1.5 grams of the simple sugar sucrose. A typical dose can be as much as 75 milliliters a day, meaning you could consume over 22 grams of sucrose daily. Taking the supplement regularly may cause your blood sugar level to sharply rise and drop, making it more difficult for your body to regulate glucose properly. This can exacerbate the symptoms of people who are prediabetic or who have already been diagnosed with diabetes.
- Calcium Sandoz contains a large amount of added sweetener.
- A typical dose can be as much as 75 milliliters a day, meaning you could consume over 22 grams of sucrose daily.
Interactions With Other Medications
Does Calcium Cause Headaches?
The function, effectiveness and absorption of other medications and supplements may be impaired by Calcium Sandoz use. These include cardiac glycosides like digoxin; verapamil and other calcium channel blockers; supplemental nutrients such as fluoride, vitamin D, iron and zinc; tetracycline antibiotics like doxycycline; levothyroxine; eltrombopag; and thiazide diuretics including chlortaliodone and bendroflumethiazide. Take Calcium Sandoz approximately four hours before or after taking any of these medications or supplements.
Gatorade G2 Ingredients
Does Calcium Cause Headaches?
Side Effects of Milk of Magnesia
Viactiv Calcium Chews Side Effects
Can Too Much Calcium Carbonate Have Side Effects?
Health Problems from Calcium Carbonate
Can Excess Calcium Cause Dizziness?
Side Effects of Magnesium Pills
Side Effects of Calcium Supplements
Do Calcium Supplements Cause Abdominal Pains?
- Medicines.org.uk: Calcium-Sandoz Syrup
- Sandoz: Sandoz History
- Netdoctor: Calcium-Sandoz (Calcium Glubionate, Calcium Lactobionate)
- RxMed: Calcium-Sandoz
- MedlinePlus: Hypercalcemia
- Bolland, MJ, et. al. Calcium supplements with or without vitamin D and risk of cardiovascular events: reanalysis of the Women's Health Initiative limited access dataset and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2011 Apr 19;342:d2040. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.d2040
- Reid IR. The roles of calcium and vitamin D in the prevention of osteoporosis. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 27: 389-398. DOI:10.1016/s0889-8529(05)70011-6
- Chen M, Pan A, Malik VS, Hu FB. Effects of dairy intake on body weight and fat: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012;96(4):735-747. DOI:10.3945/ajcn.112.037119
- Williams V, Rawat A, Vignesh P, Shandilya JK, Gupta A, Singh S. Fc-gamma receptor expression profile in a North-Indian cohort of pediatric-onset systemic lupus erythematosus: An observational study. Int J Rheum Dis. 2019;22(3):449-457. doi: 10.6061/clinics/2012(07)22
- Reid IR, Birstow SM, Bolland MJ. Calcium and Cardiovascular Disease. Endocrinol Metab (Seoul). 2017;32(3):339-349. doi: 10.3803/EnM.2017.32.3.339
- MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia, "Milk-alkali syndrome"
- Bolland MJ, Grey A, Avenell A, Gamble GD, Reid IR. Calcium supplements with or without vitamin D and risk of cardiovascular events: reanalysis of the Women’s Health Initiative limited access dataset and meta-analysis. BMJ. d2040-d2040. DOI:10.1136/bmj.d2040
- Chan Soo Shin, et. al. Endocrinol Metab (Seoul). 30(1): 27–34. DOI: 10.3803/EnM.2015.30.1.27
- Linus Pauling Institute. Calcium.
- National Institute of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. Calcium.
- Weingarten MAMA, Zalmanovici Trestioreanu A, Yaphe J. Dietary calcium supplementation for preventing colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD003548. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003548.pub4
- Zemel, MB et. al. Calcium and dairy acceleration of weight and fat loss during energy restriction in obese adults. Obes Res. 2004 Apr;12(4):582-90. DOI: 10.1038/oby.2004.67
Michelle Kerns writes for a variety of print and online publications and specializes in literature and science topics. She has served as a book columnist since 2008 and is a member of the National Book Critics Circle. Kerns studied English literature and neurology at UC Davis.