Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews are an over-the-counter supplement that contains two forms of calcium: elemental calcium and calcium carbonate. This calcium supplement can be used by people over the age of four who do not receive adequate amounts of calcium from their daily dietary intake. You should be aware of Viactiv Calcium Soft Chew side effects prior to using this supplement.
Vomiting or Nausea
You may experience vomiting or nausea after taking a dose of Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews, Kaiser Permanente warns 1. This calcium supplement may irritate your digestive tract, especially if it is taken on an empty stomach. Stomach irritation can lead to a temporary loss of appetite if you are affected. If these side effects persist or become severe, you should consult a physician for further evaluation and care.
- You may experience vomiting or nausea after taking a dose of Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews, Kaiser Permanente warns 1.
- Stomach irritation can lead to a temporary loss of appetite if you are affected.
Bowel Movement Changes
Side Effects of Calcium Hydroxyapatite 1000 mg
While taking this type of calcium supplement, you may experience bowel movement changes. You may have difficulty producing a bowel movement or may produce unusually small, solid stools. This side effect, called constipation, may also contribute to additional abdominal side effects, including bloating, gas, pain or cramping. If you develop prolonged periods of constipation while taking Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews, you should seek care from a doctor.
- While taking this type of calcium supplement, you may experience bowel movement changes.
Consuming more than 2,500 milligrams of calcium each day you may be at risk of developing hypercalcemia, a condition characterized by unusually high levels of calcium in the blood, the University of Maryland Medical Center reports 2. Overuse of Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews may cause weight loss, increased heart rate, weakness, increased thirst or urination, headache or muscle aches. If you experience these side effects while taking this calcium supplement you should receive care from a medical professional.
Side Effects of Calcium Hydroxyapatite 1000 mg
The Side Effects on the Stomach of Calcium & Vitamin D
Calcium Supplements If Allergic to Shellfish
Can Too Much Calcium Carbonate Have Side Effects?
Side Effects of Calcium Sandoz
Sulphur Supplement Side Effects
Can Excess Calcium Cause Dizziness?
Does Calcium Cause Headaches?
Zinc Citrate Side Effects
Side Effects of Vitamin D3 Capsules
- Kaiser Permanente: Viactiv Oral Tablet
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Calcium - Precautions
- Bolland, MJ, et. al. Calcium supplements with or without vitamin D and risk of cardiovascular events: reanalysis of the Women's Health Initiative limited access dataset and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2011 Apr 19;342:d2040. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.d2040
- Reid IR. The roles of calcium and vitamin D in the prevention of osteoporosis. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 27: 389-398. DOI:10.1016/s0889-8529(05)70011-6
- Chen M, Pan A, Malik VS, Hu FB. Effects of dairy intake on body weight and fat: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012;96(4):735-747. DOI:10.3945/ajcn.112.037119
- Williams V, Rawat A, Vignesh P, Shandilya JK, Gupta A, Singh S. Fc-gamma receptor expression profile in a North-Indian cohort of pediatric-onset systemic lupus erythematosus: An observational study. Int J Rheum Dis. 2019;22(3):449-457. doi: 10.6061/clinics/2012(07)22
- Reid IR, Birstow SM, Bolland MJ. Calcium and Cardiovascular Disease. Endocrinol Metab (Seoul). 2017;32(3):339-349. doi: 10.3803/EnM.2017.32.3.339
- MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia, "Milk-alkali syndrome"
- Bolland MJ, Grey A, Avenell A, Gamble GD, Reid IR. Calcium supplements with or without vitamin D and risk of cardiovascular events: reanalysis of the Women’s Health Initiative limited access dataset and meta-analysis. BMJ. d2040-d2040. DOI:10.1136/bmj.d2040
- Chan Soo Shin, et. al. Endocrinol Metab (Seoul). 30(1): 27–34. DOI: 10.3803/EnM.2015.30.1.27
- Linus Pauling Institute. Calcium.
- National Institute of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. Calcium.
- Weingarten MAMA, Zalmanovici Trestioreanu A, Yaphe J. Dietary calcium supplementation for preventing colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD003548. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003548.pub4
- Zemel, MB et. al. Calcium and dairy acceleration of weight and fat loss during energy restriction in obese adults. Obes Res. 2004 Apr;12(4):582-90. DOI: 10.1038/oby.2004.67
Rae Uddin has worked as a freelance writer and editor since 2004. She specializes in scientific journalism and medical and technical writing. Her work has appeared in various online publications. Uddin earned her Master of Science in integrated biomedical sciences with an emphasis in molecular and cellular biochemistry from the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.