What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Calcium, a mineral needed by your body for strong bones and teeth, occurs in different forms of calcium supplements 1. Some of these contain shellfish. Shellfish allergies can start with a rash and continue onto more severe symptoms such as shortness of breath and airway closure. If you suffer from shellfish allergies, tell your doctor. He will suggest or prescribe a calcium supplement that does not contain shellfish.
Calcium in Diet
Before beginning a calcium supplement, pay attention to what you eat daily. Calcium-rich foods remain important in your diet. Calcium-rich foods include dairy products such as milk and cheese. Other nondairy sources include yogurt, tofu and vegetables, including broccoli, kale and Chinese cabbage. Foods fortified with calcium include fortified cereals, juices and breads. The daily recommended intake of calcium is 1,000 to 1,200 milligrams for an adult. This amount of calcium is found in three cups of calcium-rich milk or two to three servings of calcium-rich foods such as broccoli or yogurt. Two ounces of cheeses equals one 240-ml cup of milk.
- Before beginning a calcium supplement, pay attention to what you eat daily.
- This amount of calcium is found in three cups of calcium-rich milk or two to three servings of calcium-rich foods such as broccoli or yogurt.
Viactiv Calcium Chews Side Effects
Read the ingredients before purchasing this supplement. Supplements containing shellfish usually include shellfish as their ingredient, as with brand names like Oyster Calcium and Shellfish Calcium 14.
Calcium citrate may not contain shellfish. This calcium supplement is taken with food and easily absorbed by the body. People who suffer from irritable bowel disease or stomach disorders take this type of calcium supplement.
Does Calcium Cause Headaches?
Calcium gluconate, another form of calcium, slowly becomes absorbed in your digestive system 2. This supplement is helpful for people who suffer from digestive and absorption problems.
Calcium carbonate is a common form of calcium 3. This form of calcium occurs in over-the-counter stomach antacids such as the brand name called Tums. Taking 500 to 1,000 mg of this type antacid provides a substantial amount of calcium and does not contain shellfish.
Side effects of excess calcium include:
- increased urination
- abdominal discomfort
More severe forms of side effects include bradycardia, tachycardia and abnormal heart rhythms. Before beginning a calcium supplement, talk to your doctor. If you have a history of kidney stones, make your physician aware.
- Side effects of excess calcium include: * diarrhea
* increased urination
* abdominal discomfort
* vomiting More severe forms of side effects include bradycardia, tachycardia and abnormal heart rhythms.
- If you have a history of kidney stones, make your physician aware.
Viactiv Calcium Chews Side Effects
Does Calcium Cause Headaches?
Sulphur Supplement Side Effects
Calcium Hydroxide Side Effects
Side Effects of HCL Supplements
Iodine's Effect on Calcium Absorption
Can Excess Calcium Cause Dizziness?
Side Effects of Calcium Hydroxyapatite 1000 mg
Effects of Zinc With Potassium
Does Calcium Affect Antibiotics?
- Office of Dietary Supplements: Calcium
- Drugs.com: Calcium Gluconate
- Drugs.com: Calcium Carbonate
- Drugs.com: Oyster Calcium
- Bolland, MJ, et. al. Calcium supplements with or without vitamin D and risk of cardiovascular events: reanalysis of the Women's Health Initiative limited access dataset and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2011 Apr 19;342:d2040. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.d2040
- Reid IR. The roles of calcium and vitamin D in the prevention of osteoporosis. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 27: 389-398. DOI:10.1016/s0889-8529(05)70011-6
- Chen M, Pan A, Malik VS, Hu FB. Effects of dairy intake on body weight and fat: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012;96(4):735-747. DOI:10.3945/ajcn.112.037119
- Williams V, Rawat A, Vignesh P, Shandilya JK, Gupta A, Singh S. Fc-gamma receptor expression profile in a North-Indian cohort of pediatric-onset systemic lupus erythematosus: An observational study. Int J Rheum Dis. 2019;22(3):449-457. doi: 10.6061/clinics/2012(07)22
- Reid IR, Birstow SM, Bolland MJ. Calcium and Cardiovascular Disease. Endocrinol Metab (Seoul). 2017;32(3):339-349. doi: 10.3803/EnM.2017.32.3.339
- MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia, "Milk-alkali syndrome"
- Bolland MJ, Grey A, Avenell A, Gamble GD, Reid IR. Calcium supplements with or without vitamin D and risk of cardiovascular events: reanalysis of the Women’s Health Initiative limited access dataset and meta-analysis. BMJ. d2040-d2040. DOI:10.1136/bmj.d2040
- Chan Soo Shin, et. al. Endocrinol Metab (Seoul). 30(1): 27–34. DOI: 10.3803/EnM.2015.30.1.27
- Linus Pauling Institute. Calcium.
- National Institute of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. Calcium.
- Weingarten MAMA, Zalmanovici Trestioreanu A, Yaphe J. Dietary calcium supplementation for preventing colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD003548. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003548.pub4
- Zemel, MB et. al. Calcium and dairy acceleration of weight and fat loss during energy restriction in obese adults. Obes Res. 2004 Apr;12(4):582-90. DOI: 10.1038/oby.2004.67
Carole Anne Tomlinson is a registered nurse with experience in rehabilitation, nutrition, chemical dependency, diabetes and health problems related to the elderly. Tomlinson holds a Bachelor of Arts in criminal justice and is presently working on her master's degree in nursing. Her screenplays have been viewed by Merchant Ivory, Angela Lansbury and Steven King's associates.