Testosterone therapy involves artificially increasing testosterone levels in men who have low testosterone levels due to advanced age, according to MayoClinic.com 12. The higher levels of testosterone may enhance dwindling mental acuity, elevate sex drive as well as raise overall vigor. Nevertheless, high testosterone levels may also have detrimental effects on men. As such, the potential gains may not be worth the risks involved in increasing testosterone levels, notes MayoClinic.com.
High testosterone levels can increase the risk of heart disease among men, according to EurekaAlert.org, a service of the American Association for the Advancement of Science 3. Data as of 2010 suggests that elevated levels of testosterone raises the risk of developing a heart condition known as atherosclerosis. Moreover, there may be a connection between the sex hormone-binding globulin, a kind of protein that binds to testosterone, and heart disease.
Increased Breast Size
Side Effects of Men Taking Female Birth Control Pills
High testosterone levels can cause men to develop larger breasts, notes MayoClinic.com. The growth in breast size is usually associated with lower than normal levels of testosterone. However, elevated testosterone levels may have this effect as well.
Elevated levels of testosterone in men can also raise the risk of sleep apnea, explains MayoClinic.com 3. Apnea is a disorder that causes breathing to cease again and again during slumber. This disorder can be potentially fatal if left untreated.
Cyst Growth in the Prostate
Herbs to Decrease Testosterone
High levels of testosterone in men seems to cause cysts to grow around the prostate area, notes MayoClinic.com. If there are already cancer cells growing in the prostate area, elevated testosterone levels can cause them to develop more aggressively.
High levels of testosterone in men may also cause the body to retain fluid, explains Drugs.com 13. Such an inability to properly excrete excess amounts of liquid may lead to further complications involving other organs and systems, explains Drugs.com.
Men with elevated testosterone levels run the risk of experiencing myocardial infarctions, or heart attacks, notes EurekaAlert.org 1. Moreover, data shows that men with testosterone levels exceeding about 500 nanograms per deciliter are twice as likely to have heart attacks compared to those who have levels below 300 nanograms per deciliter 1.
Reduced Production of Sperm
High testosterone levels in men may also lower the overall production of sperm, explains MayoClinic.com, and may also cause the testicles to grow smaller. However, as of 2010, data on these possible effects contains contradictory results, notes MayoClinic.com.
Raised levels of testosterone in men may also cause the skin to become inflamed, according to MayoClinic.com. Acne and other skin problems may manifest as a result of high testosterone levels.
Side Effects of Men Taking Female Birth Control Pills
Herbs to Decrease Testosterone
High Progesterone Levels in Men
The Effects of Progesterone & Estrogen in Men
Drugs That Could Cause Gynecomastia
The Effects of Nicotine on Erectile Dysfunction
Side Effects of Estrogen on Men
Negative Side Effects of Testosterone
How to Trigger Female Hormones in Males
What Are Side Effects of Lisinopril on Men?
- Drugs.com: Testosterone Therapy May Help Men With Heart Failure
- Mayo Clinic: Testosterone Therapy Key to Male Vitality?
- Eureka Alert: Higher Testosterone May Raise Risk of Heart Disease in Elderly Men
- Stanworth RD, Jones TH. Testosterone for the aging male; current evidence and recommended practice. Clin Interv Aging. 2008;3(1):25–44. doi:10.2147/cia.s190
- McBride JA, Carson CC 3rd, Coward RM. Testosterone deficiency in the aging male. Ther Adv Urol. 2016;8(1):47–60. doi:10.1177/1756287215612961
- Kumar P, Kumar N, Thakur DS, Patidar A. Male hypogonadism: Symptoms and treatment. J Adv Pharm Technol Res. 2010;1(3):297–301. doi:10.4103/0110-5558.72420
- Johnson JM, Nachtigall LB, Stern TA. The effect of testosterone levels on mood in men: a review. Psychosomatics. 2013;54(6):509-14.
- Rajfer J. Relationship between testosterone and erectile dysfunction. Rev Urol. 2000;2(2):122–128.
- Barrett-Connor E, Dam TT, Stone K, et al. The association of testosterone levels with overall sleep quality, sleep architecture, and sleep-disordered breathing. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93(7):2602–2609. doi:10.1210/jc.2007-2622
- Beauchet O. Testosterone and cognitive function: current clinical evidence of a relationship. Eur J Endocrinol. 2006;155(6):773-81.
- Golds G, Houdek D, Arnason T. Male Hypogonadism and Osteoporosis: The Effects, Clinical Consequences, and Treatment of Testosterone Deficiency in Bone Health. Int J Endocrinol. 2017;2017:4602129. doi:10.1155/2017/4602129
- Grossmann M, Thomas MC, Panagiotopoulos S, et al. Low testosterone levels are common and associated with insulin resistance in men with diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93(5):1834-40.
- Cai Z, Xi H, Pan Y, et al. Effect of testosterone deficiency on cholesterol metabolism in pigs fed a high-fat and high-cholesterol diet. Lipids Health Dis. 2015;14:18. Published 2015 Mar 7. doi:10.1186/s12944-015-0014-5
- Ferrucci L, Maggio M, Bandinelli S, et al. Low testosterone levels and the risk of anemia in older men and women. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166(13):1380–1388. doi:10.1001/archinte.166.13.1380
- Nassar GN, Leslie SW. Physiology, Testosterone. [Updated 2018 Oct 27]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-.
- Rivas AM, Mulkey Z, Lado-Abeal J, Yarbrough S. Diagnosing and managing low serum testosterone. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2014;27(4):321–324. doi:10.1080/08998280.2014.11929145
- Kanakis GA, Nieschlag E. Klinefelter syndrome: more than hypogonadism. Metab Clin Exp. 2018;86:135-144.
- Sizar O, Schwartz J. Hypogonadism. [Updated 2019 Jun 4]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-.
- Nahata L, Yu RN, Bhasin S, Cohen LE. Management of testosterone therapy in adolescents and young men with hypogonadism: are we following adult clinical practice guidelines?. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2015;28(5-6):635-40.
- McBride JA, Carson CC, Coward RM. Diagnosis and management of testosterone deficiency. Asian J Androl. 2015;17(2):177–186. doi:10.4103/1008-682X.143317
- Crawford ED, Poage W, Nyhuis A, et al. Measurement of testosterone: how important is a morning blood draw?. Curr Med Res Opin. 2015;31(10):1911-4.
- Wersinger SR, Haisenleder DJ, Lubahn DB, Rissman EF. Steroid feedback on gonadotropin release and pituitary gonadotropin subunit mRNA in mice lacking a functional estrogen receptor alpha. Endocrine. 1999;11(2):137-43.
- Rhoden EL, Estrada C, Levine L, Morgentaler A. The value of pituitary magnetic resonance imaging in men with hypogonadism. J Urol. 2003;170(3):795-8.
- Snyder PJ, Kopperdahl DL, Stephens-Shields AJ, et al. Effect of Testosterone Treatment on Volumetric Bone Density and Strength in Older Men With Low Testosterone: A Controlled Clinical Trial [published correction appears in JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Apr 1;177(4):600] [published correction appears in JAMA Intern Med. 2019 Mar 1;179(3):457]. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177(4):471–479. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.9539
- Huo S, Scialli AR, McGarvey S, et al. Treatment of Men for "Low Testosterone": A Systematic Review. PLoS One. 2016;11(9):e0162480. Published 2016 Sep 21. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0162480
- Armamento-Villareal R, Aguirre LE, Qualls C, Villareal DT. Effect of Lifestyle Intervention on the Hormonal Profile of Frail, Obese Older Men. J Nutr Health Aging. 2016;20(3):334–340. doi:10.1007/s12603-016-0698-x
- American Urological Association. Evaluation and management of testosterone deficiency.
- Grech A, Breck J, Heidelbaugh J. Adverse effects of testosterone replacement therapy: an update on the evidence and controversy. Ther Adv Drug Saf. 2014;5(5):190–200. doi:10.1177/2042098614548680
- American Urological Association, Evaluation and Management of Testosterone Deficiency.
- Fillo J, Breza J Jr, Ondrusova M, Luha J, Ondrus D, Dubravicky J, et al. Results of long term testosterone replacement therapy in men with abdominal obesity, erectile dysfunction and testosterone deficiency. Bratisl Lek Listy. 2018;119(9):577-580. doi:10.4149/BLL_2018_061
- Tremellen K, McPhee N, Pearce K, Benson S, Schedlowski M, Engler H. Endotoxin-initiated inflammation reduces testosterone production in men of reproductive age. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2018 Mar 1;314(3):E206-E213. doi:10.1152/ajpendo.00279.2017. Epub 2017 Nov 28.
Joseph Pritchard graduated from Our Lady of Fatima Medical School with a medical degree. He has spent almost a decade studying humanity. Dr. Pritchard writes as a San Francisco biology expert for a prominent website and thoroughly enjoys sharing the knowledge he has accumulated.