What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
How to Get Rid of Ringworm in 2 Days
Ringworm is a fungal infection that is spread by contact with infected, usually moist, surfaces. It causes a skin circular rash, with healthy skin in the center. Ringworm on the body is related to both athlete’s foot and ringworm on the scalp, the latter of which causes bald patches on the head 1. Ringworm on the head is treated with oral medication, since topical medication has an even slower effect. It is slow to respond and takes weeks to clear up. Ringworm on the body, however, is more quickly remedied. The sooner any remedy is applied, the better.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Apply clear nail polish remover to a clean pad.
How to Treat Ringworm That Won't Go Away
Hold the pad directly on one ring for a few seconds.
Repeat for all the other rings. Reapply the polish remover to the pad before applying to each ring.
How to Get Rid of Ringworm in Minutes
Cover each ring with a bandage soaked in salty water to remove moisture and prevent the ringworm from spreading to other parts of your body and to other people 1.
See a doctor if you don’t see progress within a few days or if the ringworms aren’t gone within a week. The doctor will have more traditional medicine. The doctor’s medicine could easily take more than 2 days more to work, if the nail polish didn’t yield results in a whole week. Your doctor may even re-diagnose your condition. For example, sometimes the virus Pityriasis rosea manifests as circular rashes, but requires a very different treatment.
Air your bathroom out after every shower, running an exhaust fan and leaving the door open. The aim is to reduce moisture for ringworm to grow in.
Clean the tub every day with diluted bleach and change your bedding every two days until the ringworms are gone.
Replace towels daily, or use paper towels when drying the areas that have rings.
Clean towels, clothing and bedding on the hottest dryer and washer settings.
Alternatives to clear nail polish remover are bleach and a solution of salt and vinegar. They may take longer to take effect, though.
Don’t take a bath. It could spread through the water to other parts of your body.
Don’t scratch. It will bust the blisters open and cause the ringworm to spread.
How to Treat Ringworm That Won't Go Away
How to Get Rid of Ringworm in Minutes
How to Use Bleach to Cure Ringworm
How to Get Rid of Ringworm in Seven Days
How to Get Toenail Fungus to Grow Out
Bumps in a Circle on the Skin
White Pimple on the Eye Lid
How to Get Rid of Ringworm on Your Leg
Can You Get a Ringworm on the Mouth?
Causes of Small Red Bumps on the Groin
- How to Get Rid of Stuff: Ringworm
- Mayo Clinic: Ringworm vs. Pityriasis rosea
- Homei A, Worboys M. Fungal Disease in Britain and the United States 1850–2000: Mycoses and Modernity. Basingstoke (UK): Palgrave Macmillan; 2013. Chapter 1, Ringworm: A Disease of Schools and Mass Schooling. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK169210/
- Jain A, Jain S, Rawat S. Emerging fungal infections among children: A review on its clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and prevention. J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2010;2(4):314–320. doi:10.4103/0975-7406.72131
- Yee G, Al Aboud AM. Tinea Corporis. [Updated 2019 Jul 6]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK544360/
- Alkeswani A, Duncan JR, Theos A. Tinea faciei starting at day two of life. Pediatr Dermatol. 2019;36(1):e20-e22.
- Furlan KC, Kakizaki P, Chartuni JC, Valente NY. Sycosiform tinea barbae caused by trichophyton rubrum and its association with autoinoculation. An Bras Dermatol. 2017;92(1):160–161. doi:10.1590/abd1806-4841.20174802
- Hay RJ. Tinea Capitis: Current Status. Mycopathologia. 2017;182(1-2):87–93. doi:10.1007/s11046-016-0058-8
- InformedHealth.org [Internet]. Cologne, Germany: Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG); 2006-. Athlete's foot: Overview. 2015 Jan 14 [Updated 2018 Jun 14].Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279549/
- Nadalo D, Montoya C, Hunter-smith D. What is the best way to treat tinea cruris?. J Fam Pract. 2006;55(3):256-8.
- Das S, Barbhuniya JN, Biswas I, Bhattacharya S, Kundu PK. Studies on comparison of the efficacy of terbinafine 1% cream and butenafine 1% cream for the treatment of Tinea cruris. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2010;1(1):8–9. doi:10.4103/2229-5178.73249
- Errichetti E, Stinco G. Dermoscopy in tinea manuum. An Bras Dermatol. 2018;93(3):447–448. doi:10.1590/abd1806-4841.20186366
- Piraccini BM, Alessandrini A. Onychomycosis: A Review. J Fungi (Basel). 2015;1(1):30–43. Published 2015 Mar 27. doi:10.3390/jof1010030
- Ashraf M, Biswas J. Chronic ringworm infestation and Marjolin's ulcer, an association unknown in the literature. Rare Tumors. 2010;2(2):e31. Published 2010 Jun 30. doi:10.4081/rt.2010.e31
- Landry GL, Chang CJ, Mees PD. Treating and avoiding herpes and tinea infections in contact sports. Phys Sportsmed. 2004;32(10):43-4.
- Davis EC, Callender VD. Postinflammatory hyperpigmentation: a review of the epidemiology, clinical features, and treatment options in skin of color. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2010;3(7):20–31.
- Fuller LC, Child FJ, Midgley G, Higgins EM. Diagnosis and management of scalp ringworm. BMJ. 2003;326(7388):539–541. doi:10.1136/bmj.326.7388.539
- Boral H, Durdu M, Ilkit M. Majocchi's granuloma: current perspectives. Infect Drug Resist. 2018;11:751–760. Published 2018 May 22. doi:10.2147/IDR.S145027
- Al Aboud AM, Crane JS. Tinea Capitis. [Updated 2019 Mar 2]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK536909/
- Ely JW, Rosenfeld S, Seabury stone M. Diagnosis and management of tinea infections. Am Fam Physician. 2014;90(10):702-10.
- “Ringworm: Signs and Symptoms.” American Academy of Dermatology, American Academy of Dermatology.
- Laniosz V, Wetter DA. "What's New in the Treatment and Diagnosis of Dermatophytosis?" Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery. 2014 Sep;33(3):136-9.
- Air your bathroom out after every shower, running an exhaust fan and leaving the door open. The aim is to reduce moisture for ringworm to grow in.
- Clean the tub every day with diluted bleach and change your bedding every two days until the ringworms are gone.
- Replace towels daily, or use paper towels when drying the areas that have rings.
- Clean towels, clothing and bedding on the hottest dryer and washer settings.
- Alternatives to clear nail polish remover are bleach and a solution of salt and vinegar. They may take longer to take effect, though.
- Don't take a bath. It could spread through the water to other parts of your body.
- Don't scratch. It will bust the blisters open and cause the ringworm to spread.
Paul Dohrman's academic background is in physics and economics. He has professional experience as an educator, mortgage consultant, and casualty actuary. His interests include development economics, technology-based charities, and angel investing.