Bird mites, which are also known as pigeon mites and avian mites, are small, eight-legged insects that survive off the blood of warm-blooded animals such as pigeons, cats, and humans. An infestation of bird mites in humans most often begins after squabs, or baby pigeons, leave the nest and the mites must search for a new source of nutrition. If you are suffering from a bird mite infestation, most likely it came from that seemingly innocuous nest sitting outside your window. These mites made their way into your home through a window and are now biting your family and causing irritation, itching and possibly, an infection.
Shower daily. Showering is more effective than lying in a bath, because the mites do not simply die in the pool of warm water. Instead, shower in hot water and use a loofah and Epsom salt to scrub the mites off your body.
Cleanse the body with a mixture bleach and water. Make sure that the bleach is extremely diluted. Mix the ingredients in a spray bottle and use it in the shower, taking care not to spray the concoction in your eyes. Allow the bleach solution to remain on your skin for 30 seconds and rinse your body thoroughly.
Wash your hair with a mixture of vinegar and water. Tea tree oil is also a miticide (mite killer); you can add it to your shampoo. In severe cases women have cut their long hair to stave off the infestation, but this is a worst-case scenario. Wear a shower cap at night to keep the mites out of your hair.
Towel dry your body, and use a spray deodorant that contains the active ingredient Aluminum Chlorohydrate 24 percent, such as Arrid Extra dry. This not only kills mites, but repels them as well. Use this deodorant on your clothing too.
Remove mites from clothing with a lint roller. Change the tape often and dispose of it immediately in an outdoor garbage can. Pull mites from bare skin with duct tape.
Launder your clothing and sheets in hot water. Add ½ cup of ammonia to laundry soap. Wash whites with bleach. Dry your clothing on the hottest setting. You may need to repeat these steps often until you have successfully eradicated the mites from your clothing and bedding.
Contact your doctor immediately if you or your family members show signs of infection caused by itching mite bites. These signs include redness, swelling and heat around the affected area.
In rare cases, people have had a severe allergic, anaphylaxis, caused by a mite bite. Symptoms include wheezing, shortness of breath, hives, nasal congestion, nausea, vomiting and dizziness. Seek immediate medical attention if these signs are present.