What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
How to Kill Lice in the Carpet
Lice infestations can temporarily take over your house 3. Although lice live on people, they can jump from a person into various places in your home such as a pillow or your carpet 3. Although lice can only live on their own for one to two days maximum, during that time it is possible for them to jump onto someone's head or body and infest again 3. For that reason, it is important to do a thorough cleaning of your carpet to be sure all of the lice in your home have been killed 13.
Cleaning the Carpet
Vacuum your carpet, especially in the area where the infected person was sitting or lying down. Vacuum twice a day until you feel confident the lice are gone 3. Then continue to vacuum once a day.
How to Kill Lice on Furniture
Vacuum the furniture as well. This way you can be sure lice cannot jump from the furniture to the carpet 3. Clean all upholstery daily until the house is clear of the infestation.
Steam clean the carpet once You can either use your own steam cleaner, or if you do not have one, hire a professional. To maintain a clean carpet, it should be steam cleaned once every six months or once a year at the very minimum.
Lice cannot live long on their own. If they are in the carpet, they have no food, nor will the eggs in the carpet hatch for lack of warmth. If someone in your house has been infected with lice, stay off the carpet for a couple of days. If there were any living in the carpet, they will die in a day or two.
Do not use poisons to kill the lice. Vacuuming and a thorough steam cleaning should be sufficient to kill the lice, and they won't harm your family as the poisons can.
- Vacuum your carpet, especially in the area where the infected person was sitting or lying down.
- Clean all upholstery daily until the house is clear of the infestation.
How to Kill Lice on Furniture
How to Clean Your House After a Case of Head Lice
How to Remove Lice From Helmets
How to Sanitize Tweezers
How to Treat a Couch for Head Lice
How to Use Epsom Salt in a Jet Tub
How to Kill Tick Eggs
How to Disinfect for Ringworm
How to Get Rid of Deep Clogged Pores
What Bugs Infest the Human Hair?
- Carpet Cleaning Tips and Tricks
- Kill Lice Without Insecticides
- Head Lice
- InformedHealth.org [Internet]. Cologne, Germany: Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG); 2006-. Head lice: Overview. 2008 Mar 5 [Updated 2018 Dec 13].Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279329/
- Rassami W, Soonwera M. Epidemiology of pediculosis capitis among schoolchildren in the eastern area of Bangkok, Thailand. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2012;2(11):901–904. doi:10.1016/S2221-1691(12)60250-0
- van der Wouden JC, Klootwijk T, Le Cleach L, et al. Interventions for treating head lice. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018;2018(5):CD009321. Published 2018 May 22. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD009321.pub2
- Bin Saif GA, Ericson ME, Yosipovitch G. The itchy scalp--scratching for an explanation. Exp Dermatol. 2011;20(12):959–968. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0625.2011.01389.x
- Head lice infestations: A clinical update. Paediatr Child Health. 2004;9(9):647–657. doi:10.1093/pch/9.9.647
- Izri A, Chosidow O. Efficacy of machine laundering to eradicate head lice: recommendations to decontaminate washable clothes, linens, and fomites. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;42(2):e9–e10. doi:10.1086/499105
- Değerli S, Malatyalı E, Mumcuoğlu KY. Head lice prevalence and associated factors in two boarding schools in Sivas. Turkiye Parazitol Derg. 2013;37(1):32–35. doi:10.5152/tpd.2013.08
- Greive KA, Barnes TM. In vitro comparison of four treatments which discourage infestation by head lice. Parasitol Res. 2012;110(5):1695–1699. doi:10.1007/s00436-011-2687-7
- Devore CD, Schutze GE. Head lice. Pediatrics. 2015;135(5):e1355-65.
- Devore CD, Schutze GE; Council on School Health and Committee on Infectious Diseases, American Academy of Pediatrics. Head lice. Pediatrics. 2015 May;135(5):e1355-65. doi:10.1542/peds.2015-0746
- Lice cannot live long on their own. If they are in the carpet, they have no food, nor will the eggs in the carpet hatch for lack of warmth. If someone in your house has been infected with lice, stay off the carpet for a couple of days. If there were any living in the carpet, they will die in a day or two.
- Do not use poisons to kill the lice. Vacuuming and a thorough steam cleaning should be sufficient to kill the lice, and they won't harm your family as the poisons can.
Mary Fenton received a Bachelor of Arts in dance with an emphasis on performance and choreography from the University of California, Los Angeles. She has been a professional dancer, dance teacher, Realtor and writer.