There are a lot of different home remedies for treating insomnia. One of the most curious is the onion jar cure. This cure has been around for years, and for some people is often quite effective. The onion are one of the most popular vegetables, consumed worldwide. Not only does it taste good when added to food, onion has many health benefits. The Chinese used onions in food therapy because onions have the ability to relax muscles, and may consequently help to relieve an underlying cause of insomnia.
The Basic Onion Jar Cure
To try the basic onion jar cure for insomnia, simply slice up any kind of medium-sized onion, and put the slices in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Prior to bedtime, inhale the vapors in the jar for as long as comfortably possible. Re-cap the jar, and you should fall asleep within fifteen minutes. Keep this jar by your bed, so you can inhale the onion vapors as needed throughout the night if you wake up.
- To try the basic onion jar cure for insomnia, simply slice up any kind of medium-sized onion, and put the slices in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
Modified Version of the Onion Cure for Insomnia
How Many Calories Are in an Onion?
For another version of the onion cure, dice a medium sized onion into very fine pieces. Boil one liter of water in a pan, remove from heat, and put the diced onion pieces into the boiling water. Let the mixture steep for about five minutes, until the water has cooled. Add five drops of honey to one teaspoon of the onion water, and drink this mixture. The onion water mixed with honey should help you fall asleep faster. You may store the onion water in the refrigerator for use the next few nights.
- For another version of the onion cure, dice a medium sized onion into very fine pieces.
- Boil one liter of water in a pan, remove from heat, and put the diced onion pieces into the boiling water.
More Onion Cures for Insomnia
Another option for treating insomnia is to try eating raw onion before going to bed. Some who have tried it report that raw onion will induce deep sleep. Any type of onion will suffice.
Include raw onions in salads and cooked onions in other foods. Onion soup is a good way to eat onions to help with sleep problems.
Often just eating some boiled onions can help ease insomnia.
Another folk remedy that may work for your insomnia is to place a sliced onion under your pillow.
Consult your physician if these home remedies using onions do not work in treating your insomnia. You may require a medical evaluation.
- Another option for treating insomnia is to try eating raw onion before going to bed.
- Some who have tried it report that raw onion will induce deep sleep.
How Many Calories Are in an Onion?
How to Eat Raw Onions for a Cold and Stuffy Nose
Onion Effects on Cholesterol
Remedies for Too Much Onion
Foods That Act As an Expectorant
The Effects of Onions on Cholesterol & Blood Sugar
Does a Cut-Up Onion Clear Sinuses?
Medical Benefits of Vinegar & Honey
How to Use Onion Juice to Treat Bronchitis
Nutritional Values for Artichokes
- Onions, raw. FoodData Central. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Published April 1, 2019.
- Anderson GH, Soeandy CD, Smith CE. White vegetables: Glycemia and satiety. Adv Nutr. 2013;4(3):356S-67S. doi:10.3945/an.112.003509
- Exploring aromatics. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Updated 2020.
- Dabeek WM, Marra MV. Dietary quercetin and kaempferol: Bioavailability and potential cardiovascular-related bioactivity in humans. Nutrients. 2019;11(10). doi:10.3390/nu11102288
- Puccinelli MT, Stan SD. Dietary bioactive diallyl trisulfide in cancer prevention and treatment. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18(8). doi:10.3390/ijms18081645
- Marrelli M, Amodeo V, Statti G, Conforti F. Biological properties and bioactive components of Allium cepa L.: Focus on potential benefits in the treatment of obesity and related comorbidities. Molecules. 2018;24(1). doi:10.3390/molecules24010119
- Chae MR, Kang SJ, Lee KP, et al. Onion (Allium cepa L.) peel extract (OPE) regulates human sperm motility via protein kinase C-mediated activation of the human voltage-gated proton channel. Andrology. 2017;5(5):979-989. doi:10.1111/andr.12406
- Smith AP, Sutherland D, Hewlett P. An investigation of the acute effects of oligofructose-enriched inulin on subjective wellbeing, mood and cognitive performance. Nutrients. 2015;7(11):8887-96. doi:10.3390/nu7115441
- Albanesi M, Pasculli C, Giliberti L, et al. Immunological characterization of onion (Allium cepa) allergy. Postepy Dermatol Alergol. 2019;36(1):98-103. doi:10.5114/ada.2019.82829
- Cooking with onions without crying. University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Updated 2020.
- What is the low FODMAP diet?. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Updated 2019.
- Onions. RxList. Updated 2019.
- Shock CC, Cheatham NE, Harden JL, Mahony, AC, Shock BM. Types of onions and varieties. Oregon State University. College of Agricultural Sciences. Updated 2020.
- Dowdy S. Stored properly Vidalia onions can still be around this winter. University of Georgia. College of Agriculture and Environmental Science. Updated 2019.
Valery Elias has been writing professionally since 2009. Her work has appeared in the "Savannah Business Journal," and she has experience as an independent secretarial contractor, proofreader and executive sales assistant for Fortune 500 companies. Elias has a Bachelor of Arts in English and American literature from the University of South Florida-Tampa.